Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Hole in One
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: WaluigiTime64

[attachment deleted by admin]

WaluigiTime64

My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Latios212

Ooh, interesting. Love this song. As usual, I never imagined this working out well for solo piano when I thought about arranging it but you've done a great job!

- Hypermeter is nice and all, but I don't think it warrants having these unsightly two-measure systems. Speaking of the intro, don't you think it's a bit misleading to leave out the first couple of bars, even if there's nothing pitched playing?
- The left hand of the first section (and when that comes back later) worries me a bit. Do you intend for the pedal to be held for four measures at a time? That would blur the melody to a bad effect. I would suggest not tying the whole notes for that long.
- How about filling in some of the silence by including some of those really neat jazzy chords when the right hand is doing nothing in the first section? :P Same with the last section, you could try including a bit more of the riffing/chording instead of having blocks of two measures with only bass in them.
- End the 8va at the barline in 68, instead of arbitrarily before it.
- I think it's really cool what you did with the left hand beginning at 37. I like it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PMOoh, interesting. Love this song. As usual, I never imagined this working out well for solo piano when I thought about arranging it but you've done a great job!
Thanks! I'll be honest, I didn't see this working out for a long time either, until I sat down and thought about it.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM- Hypermeter is nice and all, but I don't think it warrants having these unsightly two-measure systems. Speaking of the intro, don't you think it's a bit misleading to leave out the first couple of bars, even if there's nothing pitched playing?
Fixed the second two-measure system, but not yet the first. It'd be fixed if I knew a good way to fill in the empty measures at the start. I can see where you're coming from with the "misleading" element. Would really appreciate a suggestion!

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM- The left hand of the first section (and when that comes back later) worries me a bit. Do you intend for the pedal to be held for four measures at a time? That would blur the melody to a bad effect. I would suggest not tying the whole notes for that long.
I made the chords half as long, which is a bit more reasonable I think. Very good point.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM- How about filling in some of the silence by including some of those really neat jazzy chords when the right hand is doing nothing in the first section? :P Same with the last section, you could try including a bit more of the riffing/chording instead of having blocks of two measures with only bass in them.
This takes me back to how I originally tried the first section. I originally was just going to use the piano part for the LH, but then I got really lazy trying to figure out the chords, and the tonality was screwed anyway, so that's how I ended up with what I have now. I've put the chords back in though, now in the RH.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM- End the 8va at the barline in 68, instead of arbitrarily before it.
Fixed.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 04, 2018, 04:28:45 PM- I think it's really cool what you did with the left hand beginning at 37. I like it.
Thanks! Definitely the hardest part of this piece (in terms of arranging and performing).
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

WaluigiTime64

Sebastian

Beautiful sheet. Few things:

- Courtesy # on the LH G# in M. 67 (beat 3).
- The tenuto is slightly colliding with the tie in M. 68.
- Same thing with the slur in M. 83.

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Sebastian on July 05, 2018, 05:49:32 AM- Courtesy # on the LH G# in M. 67 (beat 3).
- The tenuto is slightly colliding with the tie in M. 68.
- Same thing with the slur in M. 83.
Finally done. Was extremely tricky, but I think I managed to do it.

WaluigiTime64

Libera

There were only minor things that I spotted here since this is pretty great arrangement.

Sometimes the 8vas aren't quite in the right place, I don't know if this is because you wanted to keep it more together but I thought I'd mention it anyway: 
-m.55 the E# and C# are not 8va.
-m.67-68 are not 8va.
-m.73-75 have the top layer in the RH being 8va.  I guess it's your decision whether to put it up or not since you can't play both layers at the correct pitch (unless you have three hands) but in my opinion the sudden 8va is quite striking in the piece and it'd be nice to get that into the sheet.

And also in m.39 the C#s in the RH shouldn't be tied over.

This is a really cool piece that I'd never heard before, so thanks for that!

mastersuperfan

DAMN this track is amazing and this sheet is even more amazing o.o

A couple things:
  • If you're going to consistently include staccatos on short quarter notes in the RH, I would also add them to the second quarter note in m6, m14, m28, m40, m56, m80, m88... pretty much every time that four-note pattern comes up (except m32).
  • I don't know if it was intentional not to include them, but I think grace notes might be nice in a few places. For example, m18 RH second half note, m43 RH first note, and m60 RH third quarter note. There could be more possible spots, but those are the ones that stuck out to me the most.
  • Why not have m73-75 an octave higher like it is in the original?
  • Three of the same note in octaves feels a bit barebones to me in m35-36... I was wondering if you could somehow have the left hand play that in octaves while the right hand does the glissando! That would be even more amazing :o
  • I feel like the half note chords in m51-52 kind of kill the momentum that you've got going with that great LH part... I don't know if the chords would feel empty and/or it would be too hard to play if you tried keeping the left hand rhythm in there somehow? This isn't something that you have to consider though, just an idea

But yeah, I didn't think this track would ever work on piano but wow this sheet blew me away... dang now I kind of want to get back to arranging sometime
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Haha yes, this sheet is great! I agree with MSF's points, and wanted to specifically comment on the transitions in 35-36 and 51-52 as well. I feel like some other rhythm in the left hand, even if it's just simple off-beats, would will in the space a bit better. See what you like though, I'm just speculating.

About the intro chords: there's definitely a suspended sound to them - they're not just E major. Substitute the G#s with F# instead, and consider adding a D in the chord as well (which seems to be there in the original, but I'm conflicted on how good it'd sound on the piano).

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

WaluigiTime64

I kinda just wasn't feeling it so this took a lot longer than it should've.

Quote from: Libera on July 23, 2018, 10:20:04 AM-m.55 the E# and C# are not 8va.
Quote from: Libera on July 23, 2018, 10:20:04 AM-m.67-68 are not 8va.
Quote from: Libera on July 23, 2018, 10:20:04 AMAnd also in m.39 the C#s in the RH shouldn't be tied over.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMIf you're going to consistently include staccatos on short quarter notes in the RH, I would also add them to the second quarter note in m6, m14, m28, m40, m56, m80, m88... pretty much every time that four-note pattern comes up (except m32).
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMI don't know if it was intentional not to include them, but I think grace notes might be nice in a few places. For example, m18 RH second half note, m43 RH first note, and m60 RH third quarter note. There could be more possible spots, but those are the ones that stuck out to me the most.
Quote from: Latios212 on August 07, 2018, 05:52:04 PMAbout the intro chords: there's definitely a suspended sound to them - they're not just E major. Substitute the G#s with F# instead, and consider adding a D in the chord as well (which seems to be there in the original, but I'm conflicted on how good it'd sound on the piano).
The sheet has been updated with all of these suggestions.

Quote from: Libera on July 23, 2018, 10:20:04 AM-m.73-75 have the top layer in the RH being 8va.  I guess it's your decision whether to put it up or not since you can't play both layers at the correct pitch (unless you have three hands) but in my opinion the sudden 8va is quite striking in the piece and it'd be nice to get that into the sheet.
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMWhy not have m73-75 an octave higher like it is in the original?
I was really debating this, but in the end, I've only put some dynamic changes to compensate. The run in M.72 towards M.73 is at that octave, while only the top notes of what sound like brass octaves hit those high notes, and putting that run an octave higher doesn't feel quite right to me. Personal preference, though I could probably be convinced otherwise.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMThree of the same note in octaves feels a bit barebones to me in m35-36... I was wondering if you could somehow have the left hand play that in octaves while the right hand does the glissando! That would be even more amazing :o
Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMI feel like the half note chords in m51-52 kind of kill the momentum that you've got going with that great LH part... I don't know if the chords would feel empty and/or it would be too hard to play if you tried keeping the left hand rhythm in there somehow? This isn't something that you have to consider though, just an idea
Quote from: Latios212 on August 07, 2018, 05:52:04 PMI agree with MSF's points, and wanted to specifically comment on the transitions in 35-36 and 51-52 as well. I feel like some other rhythm in the left hand, even if it's just simple off-beats, would will in the space a bit better. See what you like though, I'm just speculating.
I was thinking about this, but as of right now, I really don't know. I know I probably won't change M.51-52, because that's a contrasting break which may also help the pianist's poor, suffering left hand. As for M.35-36, I feel like something more could be there, but I'm not sure how to write it. I'm definitely open to suggestions (particularly interested in that glissando idea).

Beyond the above stuff, I've also changed a bunch of other things here and there, mainly dynamics.

Quote from: Libera on July 23, 2018, 10:20:04 AMThis is a really cool piece that I'd never heard before, so thanks for that!
Welcome to the wonderful world of Rhythm Heaven.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 07, 2018, 08:30:09 AMBut yeah, I didn't think this track would ever work on piano but wow this sheet blew me away... dang now I kind of want to get back to arranging sometime
Thanks! Also yes, arrange more please.

Latios212

Quote from: WaluigiTime64 on September 07, 2018, 05:34:18 AMI was really debating this, but in the end, I've only put some dynamic changes to compensate. The run in M.72 towards M.73 is at that octave, while only the top notes of what sound like brass octaves hit those high notes, and putting that run an octave higher doesn't feel quite right to me. Personal preference, though I could probably be convinced otherwise.
I'll be the third person to say, yes you should do this :P

Some other passing things while I'm here (comments from MSF/Libera on the other section under scrutiny would be great too)
- Flip the slur in m. 22 to point up. 33 too
- 43 looks a bit funny. You can just have one slur over the whole thing (similar in 27)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

WaluigiTime64

Quote from: Latios212 on September 13, 2018, 05:20:38 PMI'll be the third person to say, yes you should do this :P
ok...

Quote from: Latios212 on September 13, 2018, 05:20:38 PMSome other passing things while I'm here
- Flip the slur in m. 22 to point up. 33 too
- 43 looks a bit funny. You can just have one slur over the whole thing (similar in 27)
Okie dokie, thanks.

I am in fact still a little out of ideas for that transition to the chorus (I'm probably just not thinking about it hard enough, but I'm busy, and would greatly appreciate having ideas thrown at me).