News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[N64] Yoshi's Story - "Yoshis in the Wind" by hamishbrown

Started by Zeta, August 05, 2018, 04:47:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Yoshi's Story
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Yoshis in the Wind
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: hamishbrown

[attachment deleted by admin]

hamishbrown

The most obvious issue is the poor placing of the arpeggiations, which unfortunately I can't change with notepad. I will post in the Help page to ask for someone to change it. Meanwhile, hopefully someone can point out other mistakes I may have missed.

Edit: Olimar12345 kindly fixed the issue with the rolled chords.

Brassman388

Hey yo!

Got a few things for ya.

The top melody in the first four bars can be moved up to the top staff. Then when the main melody comes in, you can move the previous melody to the bottom staff like you have it in measures 5 - 6.

The 8va's don't need to extend the length of the note, just over the note itself. Those tail spots after the half note can be reduced to being just over the half note.

The poco retardando can be placed either in the middle between both staves, or on the bottom of the staves. Same with the A tempo.

That's all I got so far. Once you fix those things then I'll go in and fix the arpeggiation placement.

hamishbrown

Hi thanks for the advice,

I implemented your suggestions about the 8va lines and the position and poco rit. and a tempo markings. But I was wondering why you should think I should put the music in the top stave for the first four bars. By putting them in the bottom stave at the start, I imply that the pianist should start playing with the left hand. When the melody arrives in the fifth bar, the right hand will be readily available to start playing it. Of course if I did implement the suggestion then I'm sure the pianist would understand what to do after a couple of read throughs, but what is the point in the initial confusion?

Brassman388

I mean, that's fine and all. I have a thing for making sure that both hands are active most of the time. Also, this piece is really short, so there's no implying of anything. Unless they play it forever which is just weird. They read the notes, they play the notes. Simple as that. I'm just making sure that it looks, sounds, and feels balanced.

Latios212

Hey, sorry for the wait!

- Is the title supposed to be Yoshis AND or IN the wind? (I think in makes more sense but not sure if there's an official translation...)
- There are a few note duration/articulations that need to be fixed, like the second RH note in m. 6/12 and m. 17-19 in general.
- The added layer in the last couple measures sounds like it's supposed to be an octave higher.
- There's a few random outstanding visual quirks, like the overlapping accidental in m. 14 and stray page number.
- Could use a bit of dynamic variation. Also the p at the beginning would be fine between the staves.

It's a pretty simple sheet, I can help you clean up these miscellaneous things if you're having trouble with Finale. Lemme know.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

I gotcha, fixing this up right now~

In addition to the above,
- Adjusted the LH of m. 18-19 with the correct layer work (as well as an incorrect pich in the lower layer) - the eighth notes should be part of the lower layer, not the top.
- Adjusted the voicing of m. 20-23 to be more accurate to the original.

Looks good to me now
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Sebastian.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot