[NDS] Kirby: Squeak Squad - "Prism Plains" by Dekkadeci

Started by Zeta, August 06, 2018, 10:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeviR.star

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 02, 2018, 03:46:54 PMI should point out that if 16ths are barely manageable at 150 bpm, then there's no way anyone's going to try repeated 16th triplets at 180.

Again. Just sayin'
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dekkadeci

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 02, 2018, 03:46:54 PMI should point out that if 16ths are barely manageable at 150 bpm, then there's no way anyone's going to try repeated 16th triplets at 180.
Should I try turning them back into regular 16th notes or going for neighbour tones (e.g. all A-repeating triplets get turned into A-G#-A 16th-note triplets)? I tried the latter just now but wasn't wholly convinced by the effect.

Brassman388

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Brassman388 on September 02, 2018, 09:36:15 PMHowabout throwing the second A up an octave?
Ended up throwing the second A's and G's down an octave instead.

Updated all 3 files this time!

Brassman388

LeviR.star

A couple more minor things I noticed: the title on pg. 2-3 needs to be centered, and the pg. #s should be in the upper right, not bottom middle.

Other than that, I really like this sheet; thanks for doing it, Dekka, and thank you, Brassman, for helping!

While I'm here, I might as well post these inverse rips
[close]
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dekkadeci

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 03, 2018, 12:03:59 PMA couple more minor things I noticed: the title on pg. 2-3 needs to be centered, and the pg. #s should be in the upper right, not bottom middle.
Tried my best to center the titles on Pages 2-3. Made page numbers and put them in the upper left and right as per formatting guidelines, respectively.

Only needed to update the .mus and .pdf this time--no need to update the .midi!

Brassman388

Latios212

Quote from: Brassman388 on September 03, 2018, 01:13:52 PMGood to gooooooooo!!!!
Hang on there, I'm not finished yet ;) but you guys have done a real good job polishing this sheet up! Last page in particular is creative and works great.

Quote from: Dekkadeci on September 03, 2018, 11:22:29 AMEnded up throwing the second A's and G's down an octave instead.
I'm not convinced how much value this adds to the arrangement. To keep the triplet, you're introducing a stray note an octave lower which sounds out of place - a quick "plunk" on a lower note while the melody dances around up high. Besides that, it also makes fingering a lot more difficult, because again the melody doesn't move around a whole lot and you're forcing the right hand to dip down low really quick to grab the note. At the speed this song is going, I suggest simply replacing the triplets with regular 16th notes like in the rest of the figure - barely any audible difference from an extra note squeezed in there, and it keeps the melody straightforward to play.

Besides that, a few small things:
- Composer info takes up way too many lines. Can easily condense it to 2 or 3 lines. (Also, is there any source that narrows down the composer?)
- Page numbers are outside the preset margins. (I can update the files if you like.)
- I'd recommend a chord in m. 17 beat 3 similar to how the last measure is written. Beat 3 loses its power by octave doubling the G instead of finishing the series of chord-pounding that the first two beats set up an expectation for.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PMI suggest simply replacing the triplets with regular 16th notes like in the rest of the figure - barely any audible difference from an extra note squeezed in there, and it keeps the melody straightforward to play.

Seconding this—with sixteenth notes it'd be very doable with a 4-3-2 fingering, but with a triplet you'd have to use your pinky or thumb, which would be way harder.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PM(Also, is there any source that narrows down the composer?)

As I brought up earlier, this song is a remix of "Grass Land 3" from Kirby's Dream Land 3, a game that was solely composed by Jun Ishikawa. Not sure who was in charge of the arrangement/remix, though.

Dekkadeci

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PMI'm not convinced how much value this adds to the arrangement. To keep the triplet, you're introducing a stray note an octave lower which sounds out of place - a quick "plunk" on a lower note while the melody dances around up high. Besides that, it also makes fingering a lot more difficult, because again the melody doesn't move around a whole lot and you're forcing the right hand to dip down low really quick to grab the note. At the speed this song is going, I suggest simply replacing the triplets with regular 16th notes like in the rest of the figure - barely any audible difference from an extra note squeezed in there, and it keeps the melody straightforward to play.
Reverted all repeated/octave 16th-note triplets back to regular 16th notes. The lo-fi-ness of this song works to its advantage!

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PMBesides that, a few small things:
- Composer info takes up way too many lines. Can easily condense it to 2 or 3 lines. (Also, is there any source that narrows down the composer?)
I found this source that confirms the composer is indeed only Jun Ishikawa (as this is a remix of the Grass Land 3 theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3, a theme only Ishikawa composed), but the Grass Land 3 theme doesn't have a minor-key section or augmented chords, so I had to put arrangement credits in. Condensed the arrangement credits to 3 lines because 2 lines looked like each line was too long. I also couldn't find any sources that narrowed down the arrangers.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PM- Page numbers are outside the preset margins. (I can update the files if you like.)
I moved the page numbers inward. Chances are I still didn't do it quite right, though, so please update the files.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 04, 2018, 05:53:25 PM- I'd recommend a chord in m. 17 beat 3 similar to how the last measure is written. Beat 3 loses its power by octave doubling the G instead of finishing the series of chord-pounding that the first two beats set up an expectation for.
Changed that up.

Latios212

Changes look good. I've updated the files with some fixes for the layout of the text and stuff (incorrect positionings/fonts/whatnot).

Good to go!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom