News:

Be sure to tell your friends about NinSheetMusic!

Main Menu

How do you submit a replacement

Started by Altissimo, August 17, 2018, 04:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Altissimo

Y'all seriously need to fix your interface. It's trash.

Anyway there's a box that says "Which sheet would you like to replace?" and there's not a drop down or anything. It's just a box you can type something in. So I typed in the name of the sheet and it gives me an error saying I need to "select" a sheet to replace (which suggests I should have options). I don't have the option to pick anything. If it's supposed to be there it isn't working. It's literally just a text entry field.

Fucking fix your damn website.

WaluigiTime64

I... agree that the replacement thing is weird.

You have to state the name of the game first (which is weird). Just try the first word, and a bunch of options should appear. It's not the greatest, no.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

Um...maybe learn to read before you start throwing around unfair and false statements about the site and staff...?

Literally tons of people (including myself) have asked about this at one point. Please read around next time before throwing a hissy fit.

Altissimo

Images don't work for me on mobile so doesnt even matter (cant check desktop atm)

also maybe fix your fucking website so that it makes more sense? If this is something "literally tons of people" have asked about it makes sense to improve it so that people dont have to ask, no? What a concept!

Like seriously how fucking hard is it to give it the same setup as normal submissions, where you have to choose a game (and replacements are BY NECESSITY only going to use games that are on site already!) and then maybe there can be a dropdown/text field for you to put in the sheet names.

This is a serious question: Why is it like this? Is there a programming requirement? Does it make more sense to someone this way? Is there a reason it's garbage?

Sebastian

The screenshots are taken of this:
http://forum.ninsheetmusic.org/index.php?topic=6421.0

Maybe read the tutorial of said function before throwing a fit.

Also, garbage is quite a relative term since the submission system is working perfectly. Your view of it and lack of knowledge about it is the problem. If you have an idea for improving the system or believe it is not the best it could be, then bring it up like a civilized adult instead of acting like an angsty teen. People will not want to respond to that or take you seriously if you're acting like that.

Maybe Deku can shed some light on why replacements are different. Personally, I find it just fine the way it is. I've never had an issue with it and I believe it does it's job efficiently. Reading the submission guide really isn't that hard.

Altissimo

I did suggest something. I suggested it could look more like the normal submission process. I don't really understand why they need to look separate when the functionality of the normal sub process is comparatively proven. Select a game, name a sheet. This makes sense to me. This is more intuitive than changing it.

You say it works for you. That's fine. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. If "literally tons" of people ask about how to work this, and if those same "literally tons" DON'T ask about how to work the normal sub process, that indicates that, no matter what you as an individual may think about the process, there may be room for improvement. That mathematically makes sense to me.

Dudeman

I'm sure we'd be a lot more open to suggestions on how to edit the replacement menu if you didn't describe your problem with phrases such as "trash," "garbage," and "fucking fix your website," along with a healthy dose of sarcasm. If you'd like to see something improved, please go about suggesting it in a way that doesn't call into question the intelligence of those who built it. If other people can submit replacements without throwing a fit about how it's laid out, you can too.
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Altissimo

I just did say it in a nicer way. Can you respond to that instead?

BlackDragonSlayer

:(

There's no need to have been so hostile.
And the moral of the story: Quit while you're a head.

Fakemon Dex
NSM Sprite Thread
Compositions
Story Thread
The Dread Somber

ThatHiddenCharacter

I actually have a suggestion for the replacement menu, and since it's the topic of discussion here, I feel it makes more sense to say it here than start a new thread or something. (I don't mean to interrupt, I just feel that this is semi-important.)

I think the way it's set up now is fine, but I also think there should be some way to specify if the name of the song that's being replaced is changed (since there are tons of songs on site with incorrect names). I'm not sure how that problem is taken care of now, but I'm assuming that someone with power has to change it, so this would make it so that the person making the replacement can make the necessary changes and the whole process just becomes slightly easier. Other than that, the replacement system is fine, I just thought it was worth mentioning, it's been on my mind for some time now.
Discord server (We have continental breakfast): https://discord.gg/ZuFJBF4

Jointers Discord server (We have continental music):
https://discord.gg/ehHWckpTzn

Ko-fi page (I have continental continents):
https://ko-fi.com/thathiddencharacter

Altissimo

Quote from: BlackDragonSlayer on August 17, 2018, 11:24:03 AM:(

There's no need to have been so hostile.

I have already been told off for my words. There is no need to come in here if this is all you're going to say.

Altissimo

anyway re: replacement submissions, I still am going to suggest that the system be replaced with something that doesnt... require you to find the sheet off a drop down.

Here's the issue I was having: so I wanted to replace a sheet from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Specifically T/D, which means the full title of the game according to NSM is "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness."

The dropdown that pops up once I begin typing a game title doesn't actually fit very many sheet titles on it. I used the arrow keys, but the sheets shown in the dropdown do not scroll. In other words, what displays in the dropdown is all there is until I continue to type.
In order to find the sheet I was looking for, I needed to narrow my search... by typing in all of "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of T" or something like that that, in order for the particular sheet to show up in the dropdown.

Now, that worked for me. But think of some time in the future where there are a lot more sheets for that title. If you want to replace, and if "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Expl" doesn't pull up the result you're looking for, you would need to continue to type. You would need to type out the entirety of "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time & Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness: B" or something of that length in order to pull up the sheet in question.

That's a lot of work. For most games it doesn't matter, true, but still I feel like, if possible, the system can be improved to save time and keystrokes. This is why I think changing it to something like the regular submission system - pick a game from a dropdown (that actually functions as a dropdown, with a scrollbar and everything, unlike the weird sort of list that pops up in the replacement system), pick the sheet from the dropdown or name it.

Now, I know that everyone else has said this system is fine for them, whatever, cool. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. Let me use some examples from my work to demonstrate.

1) In my workplace, I am responsible for keying (typing) information provided to me on scans of documents into a piece of software. This is very sensitive, very specific data, and if I get certain things wrong I could end up screwing someone's life up for a few weeks while they try to sort it out. That's why there's a big fat Excel document with flowcharts and flowcharts and flowcharts and links and flowcharts that help you figure out exactly how to process the information when things may not be clear. The flowchart document is excellent. But here's the thing: It's still being improved. Constantly. Just a week or two ago a panel on one of the many flowcharts was reworded to be clearer, and a link to an example was added. This is a flowchart that, to quote Sebastian, "is working perfectly" and "does it's job efficiently". I personally have never had an issue with the wording and never needed that extra example. But someone may have, and that's why it got edited. It got edited because there was improvement. There is always room for improvement. Hundreds of employees use this flowchart day in and day out and never have a problem. But some people had an issue, or maybe they didn't even have an issue but might have, so it got edited. If "literally tons of people" (to quote Sebastian) have asked about the sub system, if myself and Waluigi and THC are all in this thread saying there might be room for improvement, doesn't that mean there is room for an improvement? Maybe it works perfectly for you. That doesn't mean it couldn't be better.

2) The software I type my information is designed to minimize keystrokes and thus maximize production time.
There is a field for social security numbers. Once I key 9 digits into this field, the cursor automatically jumps to the next field.
There is a field where I can key in 1, 2, or 3. These numbers mean things in context (it has to do with people relationships). The field will not let me key anything but 1, 2, or 3, will not let me delete the number (in other words, I HAVE to have a number in there, because one of the numbers will always be relevant), and will skip to the next field once a number is keyed.
There is a search system where I can populate some fields with information that is already in the system, saving me the effort of having to type in some of it.
There is a field I have to "enter" codes into, by typing a code and hitting "enter" to put it in the field. If I don't hit "enter" and then move to another field, the system automatically enters it. This is potentially to allow me one less hit of the "enter" key.
When I type a zip code, the city and state associated with that zip code automatically show up. I don't have to key them in myself.

... etc. I'm sure the system would work fine if I had to... press enter to escape the SSN field, or... press enter to escape the 1/2/3 field, or have to backspace if I accidentally hit "4", or... had to key in every piece of data, or... had to key in a city and state for each zip code. That system would still have worked perfectly, because it would have done its job. That doesn't mean it can't be improved. In the case of the NSM replacement subs, as mentioned before, I have to key a lot of things to get Mystery Dungeon sheets to show up. This is very inefficient and could easily be improved. I know NSM isn't a job, and there aren't time and quality expectations, but that doesn't make it perfect as is. Knowing how to use something != the best possible way that system could be set up.

This is my last post on the subject because if this doesn't make sense, nothing will, and I'm tired of fighting battles trying to improve NSM for everyone only to get beaten down for nonexistent reasons. But I figured I may as well show my reasoning off here. Whether you care or not is up to you.

Olimar12345

The replacement upload process is incredibly forgettable. I'll be honest that every time I submit one I have to go back and reread the guide.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

WaluigiTime64

I've also believed that the replacement system is kinda weird. I know it works, but something about it is rather off (maybe it being different from the regular submissions system for very little reason?).

It's usually not a problem for me because of the games I make replacements for, but like...

Spoiler
[close]

...this seems a bit obnoxious. I think it would be good for it to have a similar setup to the standard submissions system, so we don't get "literally tons of people" asking about this (consider that no one asks about the standard system, because it's streamlined and makes sense). Yes, an explanation is written somewhere, but obviously not everyone's going to look there.

...just... read what Altissimo said.
My Arrangements (All Outdated)
My Compositions (All Outdated)
Quote from: WaluigiTime64I strive for second place and I will fight for the position.

Sebastian

@alti
Your concerns about the submission process are totally valid. It's just the attitude and unnecessary word use I had a problem with, but moving past that...

Personally, I would just copy the game name and paste it into the box. From there, I'd put a hyphen and just click the down arrow to whatever track I'm looking for. I was never really concerned with its "inconvenience" since it usually only took me a few seconds to find the sheet I was looking for. In fact, I always found it easier to submit a replacement than to have to type in all the game information, but that's just me.

I never gave it a second thought since it worked for me well; however, I do understand your concerns about the inconvenience it is to type in the entire game name (especially when it's lengthy) and your idea about improving the system. Unfortunately, most of the staff, as well as myself, don't know much about the system (its interface, coding parameters, etc), so I would encourage Deku and anyone else familiar with the system to share their thoughts.