Series: Other
Game: Cave Story (WiiWare)
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Balcony
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Olimar12345

[attachment deleted by admin]

Olimar12345

Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Brassman388

I've never heard of this composer's work before. It's really nice.

I followed along with the soundtrack and noticed that measure 5 thru 8 plays twice.

Honest mistake, or creative decision?

Olimar12345

Oh, I was going to surround those measures in repeat bars, but it looks like I forgot to. Thanks, I'll reupload that tomorrow.
Visit my site: VGM Sheet Music by Olimar12345 ~ Quality VGM sheet music available for free!

Sebastian

Quote from: Brassman388 on August 23, 2018, 08:00:23 PMI followed along with the soundtrack and noticed that measure 5 thru 8 plays twice.

Notwithstanding this^, I approve of this sheet.

Olimar12345

mastersuperfan

This is a really nice arrangement! I'm especially impressed at how you managed to capture measures 5–8 on piano.

My only suggestion would be to raise one of the A's in m5 like this:

When I listened first to the original and then to the sheet, that A caught my attention immediately. Similar to the D-E-D that happens at the very beginning of m7, it's a nice-sounding pattern that incorporates some variety.

That's all I have. The sheet looks and sounds fantastic otherwise!

EDIT: Oh, one more question—not really another suggestion, since it looks like it was an intentional decision, but I'm just curious—what was your rationale for changing the rhythms from m5-6 to m7-8? I'm specifically referring to beats 1 and 3, which have a sixteenth rest in m5-6 but an eighth rest in m7-8. They sound the same to me in the original—is it for variety, or am I just not hearing something?
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Olimar12345

Thanks for the kind words. For your first part about the A natural suggestion, the note there should be as I wrote it. In case you are referring to a different instrument or part being played, my transcription's intention was to keep the entirety of that line intact and in doing so I left out other voices that play at the same time. If you weren't referring to that, then you are simply mishearing the part there. The image below displays how the figure works. The melody is made up of eighth notes; these are then echoed at a delay of four sixteenth notes. The red notes show the line while the black notes show the echo. I've also included the combined version below to help compare.

The only reason measure 7 includes the D-E-D figure you mentioned is because the E is echoing from the previous bar.

However, oddly enough the double D's that start the figure in the middle of bar 7 and the beginning and middle of bar 8 are the only inconsistency here. My guess is that this is an error on the composer's end, as it is present in the original version of this track which can be seen if you boot up the game's .ORG file for the track.

mastersuperfan

Hmmm, the A still sounds like an octave higher to me, but when I slow it down I'm not so sure anymore. I'll take your word for it. (Plus, the A is an octave down in the original version, anyways.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Brassman388

I wouldn't doubt Olimar's ears.

Another problem with trying to interpret that melodic section is that there's loads of effects going on to create the octave voices you can hear.

He did more than a good job and I feel like this sheet is ready to be accepted.

Latios212

Same initial reaction as MSF here with the A up top, but if you think the song gravitates towards the echoing line you wrote in, I find that perfectly acceptable. Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Good to go
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Olimar12345

If you slow it down you can actually hear the low A articulate. I think you guys are getting thrown off my the extra tinkling parts (like Brassman said).

And since Seb already approved, think you can accept this now?

Latios212

Oh yeah, whoops, missed that. Sure thing!

Yeah, it's the extra tinkling parts. That note in particular seems to stick out more than the others, but I digress. Is good
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot