News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[GBA] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "Teehee Valley" (Replacement) by Rain Shinotsu

Started by Zeta, September 08, 2018, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain_Shinotsu

Weird - I thought I updated it. I must have saved it at an incorrect point or something. It should now be updated properly.
My music: SoundCloud; MuseScore

May I just sit here and meow until I finish writing thi

Latios212

No problem. Sorry for the delay in my response.

Quote from: Rain_Shinotsu on September 09, 2018, 07:10:47 PMHowever, to avoid tying the bottom note over, I'll need another (layer? voice? In Musescore, my native program, it's called a voice). If I could have done it, I would have, but I don't know how to do that efficiently in Finale NotePad*. Advice or volunteering would be appreciated if it's possible in Finale products.

*I know how to add layers in NotePad, but if I add a second-layer eighth note midway through, it leaves behind plenty of second-layer rests. If I delete them, it moves the eighth note to a position earlier in the measure.
Actually on second thought how about just putting those 16th notes in the right hand instead? Everywhere that figure occurs the right hand is idle, and you could avoid messy layers AND making the left hand play a slightly awkward figure.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Rain_Shinotsu

That isn't true in every instance. In measure 11, the right hand should be holding an A4 when an instance occurs. That would transfer the weird pattern from the left hand to the right, which doesn't get rid of it. What should be done there?

Other than that, the idea of moving the sixteenths to the other hand feels wrong, but probably because I take a technical look at the sheet more than the performance aspect of it. Nevertheless, I'm working on it, and I will update the score and this post when it is ready.

UPDATE: I moved the sixteenth notes in the weird patterns to the right hand, but in m. 11, it required sacrificing note length.

Libera

Rain_Shinotsu

Adding the pattern to the right hand is only half the battle. Thanks for pointing out my forgetting to remove it from the left hand. Updated.

LeviR.star

Try fiddling around with the measure and system distribution a little. This could be formatted a lot better, methinks. Play around with it.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Rain_Shinotsu

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that. I don't usually focus on the sheets as much as I do the audio, so I'm not sure what aspects can be improved in that regard.

Brassman388

Alright. Imma give you how to sheet music 101 right here, right now. So, pay attention, and take notes.

Here. We. Go.

So, first and foremost, let's talk about page margins.

A decent sheet will have all sides of the page evened out. I go for about 0.5625 in for all my page margin needs. 0.5 also works, but going any smaller would probably not be good for the sheet.

This is yours:

Spoiler
[close]

This is after with even margins:

Spoiler
[close]

Hopefully, you can see the notes open up with new life. Having space that wasn't there before, making the manuscript more readable than ever.

This next part requires the use of google, if you're used to the standard system of the US like I am.

Bes gave me this neat table describing the different widths of each type of staves for piano music, choral music, etc. Today, we're focusing solely on the piano side of things.

Spoiler
[close]

Imma go for a solid 6.5 millimeter on this sheet. I tried 6.0 millimeters and that looked a little too small for our work here.

We'll use that number in inches and plug it in into the resize tool into Finale.

Spoiler
[close]

Before with the new size plugged in.

Spoiler
[close]

Resize after with 0.255906 in resize. It should affect the whole system. This should leave all the text-based stuff like expressions etc the same, but I'm not sure as I just learned it a couple of days myself.

After that, we apply some space on the bottom system, about 1.0 in then "space systems evenly" in the documents dropdown menu.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

After all that tedious work, you should be left with this beauty.

Spoiler
[close]

I hope this has been helpful. And don't be afraid to ask for help regarding improving your spacing or whatnot. We hope to strive to a better looking sheet to read. Margins, spacing, percentages, etc, are just the start of being able to take real control of your notation program.

Carry on!

Rain_Shinotsu

Wow, that's quite a guide. But there's a problem: I can't find a lot of these menus. Maybe it has something to do with my only having Finale NotePad. Someone who is more familiar with NotePad: Do these menus exist, and if so, where? If not, then could somebody please make these fixes for me?

Trasdegi

What program do you use? It probably has the same features, and the majority of them should carry over musicXML.

Rain_Shinotsu

@Brassman: Thanks for the formatting edit. I updated the score accordingly.
@Trasdegi: I use MuseScore. I know you have a guide, and while it was helpful, I still encountered some complications that made it more worthwhile just to try to put up with NotePad. It has been a while, so I don't remember exactly what was the issue, but I do recall having some difficulties with it.

mastersuperfan

• I think this sheet would benefit with some slurs on the melody as phrase markers.
  • In m6, m11, and m15, the melody is held across the entire measure. I would put the sixteenth notes into Layer 2 so that you can make the note values in Layer 1 longer.
  • The next person to touch this sheet with a paid version of Finale should get around to rolling the LH chord in m20

Solid sheet, don't see any major problems with it. Nice.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Rain_Shinotsu

1. I guess I'll add some, then. I did. Is this what you were thinking?
2. I wanted to extend these through the measure, but if I put the sixteenth notes in another layer, it leaves behind a bunch of note rests, deleting which shifts the 16th notes in the measure. The other thing I could do (and once did) would be to put them in the left hand with the rest of its part, but that requires tying two sixteenths in the true bass of those chords. (Latios recommended I move them to RH to avoid this.)
3. Agreed.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Rain_Shinotsu on September 30, 2018, 03:24:07 PM2. I wanted to extend these through the measure, but if I put the sixteenth notes in another layer, it leaves behind a bunch of note rests, deleting which shifts the 16th notes in the measure. The other thing I could do (and once did) would be to put them in the left hand with the rest of its part, but that requires tying two sixteenths in the true bass of those chords. (Latios recommended I move them to RH to avoid this.)

You could (if Notepad lets you) hide some of the rests in Layer 2.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.