[GBA] Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - "Teehee Valley" (Replacement) by Rain Shinotsu

Started by Zeta, September 08, 2018, 05:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain_Shinotsu

I tried to do it, and I don't think that's an option unless somebody does it for me on a paid Finale.

So that leaves two things that I can't do that I should:
1. roll the chord in m21 LH
2. Move the sixteenth notes in mm. 2, 6, 11, 15, 20 to another layer and extend the melody through the measure. Idea: Let's move them back to the left hand but make "the and of 3" in the LH of those measures an eighth note in another layer. Inevitably, if we extend the melody through the measure, the pattern would be a bit more difficult, so we should move it with the rest of the chord part to make the sheet that much more visually pleasing(?)

Actually, let me try doing it on MuseScore first. I think I can actually get it done there. It kind of worked. I was able to do the things, but it broke the page formatting, and trying to fix it again didn't work too well, so I didn't confirm the changes. Someone with paid Finale, please help.
My music: SoundCloud; MuseScore

May I just sit here and meow until I finish writing thi

Libera

Here's a version with the rolled chord added.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hv0x544wvn9as6t/Teehee%20Valley%20Piano%20Libera%20Edit.musx?dl=1
I just realised you're using notepad so can't use that file.  Here's an .mus instead:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmst201mj5wlu8j/Teehee%20Valley%20Piano%20Libera%20Edit.mus?dl=0

Is this the sort of thing you want for the other point?

You cannot view this attachment.

Rain_Shinotsu

Thanks for rolling the chord. It was updated accordingly.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the sort of thing (I) want for the other point" but if it helps to have an image, I made one:

Spoiler
[close]

I'm thinking something like that.

Libera

The issue with that version is that it breaks up the bass line whereas my version has them beamed together.

Rain_Shinotsu

It's either that, breaking the treble line, or using tied 16th notes for the bass in those measures.

Libera

Rain_Shinotsu

If it's what I think it is, it seems to break the treble line.

Here are the ideas that came to mind:

First, keeping the chord in the treble staff, putting it in a second layer:
Spoiler
[close]
I think this is what you recommended. It feels out of place, though.

Second, putting the chord in the bass staff, putting either it or the bass part in the second layer (as I showed earlier):
Spoiler
[close]
This breaks the bass line. It seems a bit weird, but it's the cleanest.

Third, using only one layer, but making the bass two tied 16th notes.
Spoiler
This is a weird option overall, but it avoids layer mechanics, which means that I can do this myself.

Libera

Look at my picture again; none of the options you showed are what I'm suggesting.  I'm suggesting keeping it in the left hand but also keeping the bass together as one layer.

Rain_Shinotsu

Oh, then I got the wrong idea of what you were suggesting. I figure I should give a few more examples now that I thought it over. Maybe one of these is what you're thinking of.

Fourth, moving the chord there to the second layer and keeping the bass in the first, such as this:
Spoiler
[close]
This one looks messy and unorganized, but at least the bass part is together.

Fifth, putting all of the chord part in one layer and all of the bass part in another. This leaves many residual rests, but deleting the ones that can be deleted and hiding the rest yields this:
Spoiler
[close]
At least, that is what it looks like in the MuseScore editor. On a PDF, it displays quite cleanly, like this:
Spoiler
[close]
This is probably the cleanest option, and it can be used throughout the entire sheet. I think I prefer this one.

All of these images are hosted on imgur. The album can be accessed here.

Update: I finally saw what you meant when you asked "is this the sort of thing you want"; I somehow didn't see the image attached.

Libera

So what do you think?  I personally think that it's the best looking solution but it's your sheet.

Brassman388

Quote from: Rain_Shinotsu on October 04, 2018, 10:49:22 AMFourth, moving the chord there to the second layer and keeping the bass in the first, such as this:

This, but like this.

Rain_Shinotsu

Putting the chord there in a separate layer from everything else makes it stick out. Frankly, I would prefer to have the fifth option (chord and bass in their own layers throughout the score) but you all are probably better versed in developing sheet music than I am.

Brassman388

Two things you have to keep in mind when doing copyist stuff.

One, is don't make it overly complicated that it has to be. Visually it's meant to be clear and concise. All we can do is offer those kinds of solutions. Saying things like, it sticks out or whatever, isn't accounting for the fact that it could very well be the only way to simply put what is happening sonically.

Two, it's a small section that we shouldn't be wasting this much time over. I would be much more aggressive about layering if it was warranted throughout the work, but since it's in half a measure, utilizing layers in this fashion is not unorthodox in the least bit.

Rain_Shinotsu

Very well. If that's the cast, then let us keep it specific to this one section.

...but I can't do that myself without making a mess of rests. Is it possible for someone with a paid Finale product to do it for me?

Libera