Series: Ace Attorney
Game: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Court Begins
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: AwesomeYears

[attachment deleted by admin]

AwesomeYears

Official name is Court Begins, don't you worry lads. (https://vgmdb.net/album/4602)

A few notes:

• I've tried to incorporate a few extra tidbits in the right hand during rests to make it more interesting (such as bar 10, 12, 14 and 16). Too bothersome or?
  • Idk if more dynamic changes are needed, MIDI music is hard to distinguish.
  • I've actually got another Court Begins theme for the 5th Ace Attorney game ready to be submitted as well, just thought this was more iconic and whatnot, still on my 3rd game of the series IRL.

Libera

Right so a few things:

-The first bar should be notated differently.  I'd opt for a dotted minim fermata followed by a crotchet rest.
-I think different dynamics for each staff are unnecessary here.  The difference is not that noticeable and you can achieve the difference with accents if you want to.  (i.e. put accents on those chords in the right hand.)  I'd probably go for forte over mezzo-forte but I'll leave that to you.
-With regard to the high notes in bars 14 and 16, since you only managed to get them in for two half bars I'd be tempted to leave them out entirely.  But it's probably better to hear what others have to say about that.

AwesomeYears

Edited for the first two. Will wait for more feedback on third point. I was thinking of adding likewise stuff in bars 15 and 17 in between the rests, but I'm not entirely sure how to put it in.

Libera

You can remove the f on the bottom staff now since they're the same dynamic.  If you're worried about playback you can put the two channels back together or you could just hide the second f.

AwesomeYears

Oh right, whoops. Will edit it out when someone else feedbacks me. One other thing to state, I've put the accents on bar 18 and onward to differentiate the choir synth (the main part) from the piano chord hits, so that's probably the only place I'll put in accents rather than placing them on every instance of chords.

InsigTurtle

For m.10,11, etc. I'm thinking you try the chimes transposed into a different register to add some interest instead. I'm not too much of a fan of m.14/16, but if you decide to keep them in, perhaps you could add some way of conveying that those notes are not as important as the ones before

AwesomeYears

Edited accordingly, I still stand by the bar 14/16 thing though, I like how it's reintroduced in the OST.

Libera

I'm back.  A few things:

-Move the f in bar 1 to the left of the top chord; it's all squished in at the moment.
-I'm not feeling the way you've done the chimes at the moment.  I'm assuming you've tried to put the other harmony in with them and that's why they're chords rather than what sound like single tones to me.  Those thick chords really high up don't give the same feel that I think you're trying to emulate here.  I think you could drop the 8vas (it'd still be significantly higher than the surrounding notes) and also consider dropping the extra harmony.

Also:
Quote from: AwesomeYears on September 18, 2018, 05:25:17 AMI was thinking of adding likewise stuff in bars 15 and 17 in between the rests, but I'm not entirely sure how to put it in.
Any progress on this?

AwesomeYears

Made changes and removed the extra stuff in bars 14 and 16, I cannot figure out a good way to put in the tidbits without pure awkwardness in the hands.

Libera

Wayyyyy too late a response from me sorry, but this looks good!

Latios212

Err, who's the composer now? xD

Aside from that, looking good, just a few small things:
- Try flipping beat 3 of the LH of m. 1-2 and 6-7. You preserve the contour of the line (similar to the next couple measures) and as a result it looks more natural.
- The first system is cramped and the last system has too much space. Consider bumping one measure down in each system - I think you'll agree uniformity of spacing is more important than hypermeter here.
- Copyright info should be size 10.
- Page number isn't aligned with the header.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AwesomeYears

Fixed everything. Idk how the composer disappeared in the first place but oh well he's back in the game.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot