Series: Mega Man
Game: Mega Man V
Console: Game Boy
Title: Pluto Stage
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

I decided that the last two Mega Man Game Boy games needed a little love, so having fixed it up a little, I'm submitting the 50th sheet I ever made.

Couple of things about this one that would be the first to address:

- if anyone thinks the layer up-down positions need to be changed in m. 1 - 4, speak up
- to substitute for the triangle, I have inserted some arpeggios in the LH here and there, but I feel like m. 13 could be something that sounds better

EDIT: I noticed an incorrectly-placed tie in the RH towards the end, and updated the files.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

joeberryosponge

I think the sheet works fine and looks fun to play! I have a few comments on notation.
  • You should mess with the spacing of the notes so the half notes don't collide with the sixteenth notes, as in measure 12 and 21.
  • The quarter note in the left hand in measure 16 should be two tied eighth notes.
  • Regarding measure 1-4, I think the second half note should be flipped down. It makes it seem like it might be a third voice. Beat four should be flipped as well to match the top voice.

LeviR.star

Quote from: joeberryosponge on October 24, 2018, 08:33:28 PMYou should mess with the spacing of the notes so the half notes don't collide with the sixteenth notes, as in measure 12 and 21.

I think those might have to be that way, given that it's a sixteenth and a half note, but maybe an updater can help out here. I'm not sure about those myself.

Quote from: joeberryosponge on October 24, 2018, 08:33:28 PMThe quarter note in the left hand in measure 16 should be two tied eighth notes.

(How did I miss that?) Thank you, fixed.

Quote from: joeberryosponge on October 24, 2018, 08:33:28 PMRegarding measure 1-4, I think the second half note should be flipped down. It makes it seem like it might be a third voice. Beat four should be flipped as well to match the top voice.

Right; still looks a little funky, but given that it's what I hear in the song, it's going to stay that way. Fixed.

Thanks, joeberryosponge (may I call you joeberry?)
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Libera

That's funny, I also just put my 50th arrangement in submissions.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 25, 2018, 06:01:52 AMI think those might have to be that way, given that it's a sixteenth and a half note, but maybe an updater can help out here. I'm not sure about those myself.
Quote from: LeviR.star on October 25, 2018, 06:01:52 AMRight; still looks a little funky, but given that it's what I hear in the song, it's going to stay that way. Fixed.
Both of these look fine to me.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 24, 2018, 07:01:33 PM- to substitute for the triangle, I have inserted some arpeggios in the LH here and there, but I feel like m. 13 could be something that sounds better
Em seems like a strange choice to me given the previous harmony.  I'd probably go with something Bm instead (i.e. change the G to an F#.)  Also that way it gives a V -> I movement.

Onto my feedback:
-RH of bar 13 the second semiquaver in the group of four should be a B not an A.  Same goes for bar 21.
-LH of bar 11 the top note in each set sounds like a B rather than an A.
-LH of bar 19 and 23 is the sixth quaver a B rather than a C?  It's kind of hard to tell since the notes aren't tuned nicely.
-The way the slur and tie are interacting in bar 8 looks a bit odd.  I'd move the slur down a bit.
-The rest in bar 21 looks a bit funny at the moment.  I'm not normally an advocate of hiding rests ... but it's a possibility.  If you don't hide it I'd move it up a little since at the moment it's kind of half way between the staves.

Nice work.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2018, 02:31:25 PMI'd probably go with something Bm instead (i.e. change the G to an F#.)  Also that way it gives a V -> I movement.

You're right, that sounds a little better.

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2018, 02:31:25 PM-RH of bar 13 the second semiquaver in the group of four should be a B not an A.  Same goes for bar 21.
-LH of bar 11 the top note in each set sounds like a B rather than an A.

Ah shoot, those must've been left over from the original draft. My mistake.

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2018, 02:31:25 PM-LH of bar 19 and 23 is the sixth quaver a B rather than a C?  It's kind of hard to tell since the notes aren't tuned nicely.

Listening to it closely, I'm not really sure, either. I'll wait on someone else to verify, but I would think straight C's through there would be appropriate.

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2018, 02:31:25 PM-The way the slur and tie are interacting in bar 8 looks a bit odd.  I'd move the slur down a bit.

I think I'd rather keep the slur where Finale put it. Thanks for the suggestion, though, I considered this too.

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2018, 02:31:25 PM-The rest in bar 21 looks a bit funny at the moment.  I'm not normally an advocate of hiding rests ... but it's a possibility.  If you don't hide it I'd move it up a little since at the moment it's kind of half way between the staves.

I'll hide the rest.

Thanks for the feedback, Libera. Files are fixed.

Latios212

Good work. Just a couple small comments from me:
- The second endings should not have end brackets hanging down as the music continues past it.
- I think you should write the melody in m. 6 and 10 using grace notes similar to what you did for m. 5 and 9. On the contrary I think m. 25 would be better written with a 16th note.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 30, 2018, 10:13:34 PMListening to it closely, I'm not really sure, either. I'll wait on someone else to verify, but I would think straight C's through there would be appropriate.
Straight C's sounds right to me.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on November 03, 2018, 09:32:10 AM- The second endings should not have end brackets hanging down as the music continues past it.

Did not know this, thank you for pointing it out

Quote from: Latios212 on November 03, 2018, 09:32:10 AM- I think you should write the melody in m. 6 and 10 using grace notes similar to what you did for m. 5 and 9. On the contrary I think m. 25 would be better written with a 16th note.

I'm glad you brought this to my attention. Listening to it more carefully, I've decided to replace all of the grace-note-half-note rhythms with 16th-note-double-dotted-quarter-note rhythms. Let me know if this is unfavorable to you.

mastersuperfan

IMO m5 and m9 should have grace notes, while m6, m10, and m25 should have sixteenth notes. The notes feel more pronounced in the latter than in the former.

Beat 3.5 of m15 and beat 1 of m18 should have dotted quarter notes instead of tied quarters and eighths.

I'd personally include a few more notes into each slur. Like... this:

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on November 03, 2018, 09:32:10 AM- I think you should write the melody in m. 6 and 10 using grace notes similar to what you did for m. 5 and 9. On the contrary I think m. 25 would be better written with a 16th note.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 04, 2018, 01:19:01 PMIMO m5 and m9 should have grace notes, while m6, m10, and m25 should have sixteenth notes. The notes feel more pronounced in the latter than in the former.

I'm getting conflicting ideas from you guys again. Personally, I'd be fine with changing m5 and m9 back to grace notes, but it would make more sense to me to keep the 16th-to-8th note rhythms in each measure after them. So now I gotta ask once more...

Quote from: LeviR.starWhat'll it be, updaters?

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on November 05, 2018, 10:47:00 PMWhat'll it be, updaters?

Well if you want my opinion, when I looked through your sheet originally I didn't have any problems with the way they were written back then.  Intentionally or not, the way you had them written before worked out that if the note was a chord tone it was a semiquaver and if it wasn't it was a grace which I think worked pretty well.  (For reference, I believe this means changing 5, 9 and 25 back to graces.)

Ultimately it's not really up to us though; the differing opinions you're getting tells you that this isn't a cut and dry issue and as such the only thing you can do in this situation is listen to everyone's opinion and then come to your own conclusion.  It's not like I'm going to withhold my approval if you don't do it exactly the way I would, and I don't think any of the other updaters would take that approach either.

Brassman388

Quote from: Libera on November 09, 2018, 03:25:48 PMUltimately it's not really up to us though; the differing opinions you're getting tells you that this isn't a cut and dry issue and as such the only thing you can do in this situation is listen to everyone's opinion and then come to your own conclusion.

In addition to this you need to come to a decision to what looks the best or, what functions the best in what you're trying to write out. Clear, concise, and legible.

Quote from: Libera on November 09, 2018, 03:25:48 PMIt's not like I'm going to withhold my approval if you don't do it exactly the way I would, and I don't think any of the other updaters would take that approach either.

Possibly, but I will contest before I say anything in definite.

I'll be back with more useful comments regarding the actual arrangement if we can't come to a consensus.

LeviR.star

Alright, because I can't seem to get any agreement, I've gone back and edited the files to compromise everybody. Anything else?

Libera

The only thing you haven't addressed is this.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on November 04, 2018, 01:19:01 PMI'd personally include a few more notes into each slur. Like... this:

Although I'm not sure I'd do the slurs like that personally.  Since the first and third bars of that phrase are basically the same as each other (there's some fancy music term that I'm forgetting for this) they should really be slurred in the same way.  If you wanted to include more notes in the slurs, which I don't think is a bad idea by any means, I'd do it something like this:

You cannot view this attachment.

But no, I don't really have anything else to add since I've already checked this through.  I'll give this some green once you've given the slurs some thought/ a response.

LeviR.star

I acknowledged that note, and I'd rather leave the slurs as I have them.