Game: Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!
Console: Game Boy Color
Title: Ham-Swap
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Altissimo

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Altissimo

c.f. remix for some rhythmic idiosyncrasies (esp. in like mm 1 and 3)

mostly i'm just here for how to notate the glissandos (especially the one in m. 12) in a way that captures the sound of the original in notation & playback, i went over the sheet with a fine-toothed comb and i don't think anything else is much of an issue

Khunjund

For measures 2 and 4, I think a regular glissando is as close as you're going to get. For measure 13, I'd probably write a chromatically ascending line (D>D#>E>E#>F# quintuplet or D>D#>E>F# in sixteenths) with the right hand while the left plays C# or an A#-C# dyad just below.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Altissimo

Probably right about the first glissandos, though I did alter them to start later to more closely approximate the original. As for the m. 13 one, your suggested rhythm wouldn't work because it has to be two beats long. But because of what you suggested I ended up playing around with it a bit and got a new way of notating that that I think is a little more accurate. As with my other arrangement, though, I'd love feedback because I want to notate that as best and most accurately as I can given that it's written for piano.

Latios212

There's not a lot of room around the glissandos and too much room in m. 13, so how about reworking the measure layout like this? [file]

As for m. 13, it seems like a fine approximation, although it's far more difficult than anything else in the sheet. If you want to keep it like that, up to you.

Lastly, not totally sure, but it sounds like m. 1 and 3 repeat the G on beats 1-1.5 unlike the other video you linked. Everything else looks good.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

Will fix the other stuff tomorrow. As for your comment on the gliss approximation -really I'm looking for a way to get it as close as possible so if you have a suggestion on how to improve it that may also be easier to play please tell

Altissimo

I'm going to see if I can get Dudeman to run it through Audio Overload to hear the rhythms for the beginning of it lol just to be sure even though I think you're right. I'll take the other file though and like I said I'm still open to suggestions on the gliss.

Latios212

I don't currently have any bright ideas for that, though if anyone else does, feel free to weigh in.

I'll approve once the other stuff is taken care of!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Altissimo

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aqnvise03aeytdu/AADiNM5nkS9SZQAGFZdL9Qi1a?dl=0&preview=Ham-Swap+Ch2.wav - so it looks like those notes in m. 1 and 3 are quarter notes lol

also bc of the separating out of the melodic lines, I retranscribed the m. 13 gliss and uh

yeah uh so I just reverted it back to standard gliss for performer interpretation. Files updated!

Latios212

Huh, whaddaya know :P

Alright then! Just make sure to stop the top gliss. line in m. 13 short of the accidental and we're good.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Sebastian

Few things:

- I'm curious about the bends or glissandos in M. 2 & 4. They're definitely bends according to the original, but I'm not sure how they're supposed to be executed on the piano or if they're appropriate for piano solo music.
- The measure in the first system of the second page is oddly large. You could move a measure of the subsequent system to that first system or do something else to fix that issue.
- "http" to "https"

That's all I have for this one.

Altissimo

Quote from: Sebastian on January 05, 2019, 01:55:52 PMFew things:

- I'm curious about the bends or glissandos in M. 2 & 4. They're definitely bends according to the original, but I'm not sure how they're supposed to be executed on the piano or if they're appropriate for piano solo music.

I can't say that I agree with the bolded part of your statement when this same website has music that has percussion or vocal-noise instructions, so saying it's not appropriate is inconsistent with the acceptable ways to write music according to this site, and also I have seen solo piano compositions with instructions that call for the player to lay their forearm down across the piano keys, so I think it's also unfair to say it's inappropriate even if you're referencing literature outside of NSM.

That said, if you have a better suggestion to notate it, I am all ears. It's just not really very helpful to say you don't think it works and leave it at that.

The others I'll fix when I fix my laptop tomorrow.

Sebastian

Percussion and vocal-noise instructions are perfectly fine. I am only concerned with the bends since there is no instruction on how they're to be executed on the piano. I've seen bends in guitar music, but not really in piano solo music. If you'd like to put an instructional note or change them to glissandos, that'd be fine.

I was just pointing it out since I haven't seen bends in piano music before.