[DELETED] [NDS] Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - "File Select" by elpapiofitay

Started by Zeta, November 23, 2018, 09:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: File Select
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: elpapiofitay

elpapiofitay

"The music is To be and will bring melody" - Esveen

Khunjund

There are differences between the .mus file and the PDF, and the mods won't accept submissions unless the PDF is created from the .mus.

You should also follow the formatting guidelines. There are a number of issues, from the margins to the fonts, etc. Notably, you could easily space out your measures to avoid cutting the last system halfway across the page.

You currently have two repetitions of the loop, so you could delete the second one and put either repeat marks, or the words da capo or D.C. at the end.

I'd put slurs over legato notes to further contrast with the few staccato ones.

You might want to include the synth voice line where the main melody doesn't play.

I know there's a sustained note in the bass every two measures, but I don't think repeating the bass every chord is the best way to adapt that to piano. You could start every two-measure motif with an octave bass note, then move up to do the rest of the accompaniment, or you could simply do some sort of Alberti bass pattern. Also, the pizzicato strings don't repeat the same motif in an identical manner; there are variations.

I also think you could consider write this piece in 2/2, or in 4/4 with halved note durations and tempo.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

elpapiofitay

Thank you so much for helping me!

I just submitted it with some changes to help start it in a right way.

For some reason fonts would change on their own when importing into finale so I make PDF from finale like you said to. I think this fixed the font issues, as I've read the formatting guidelines very carefully while fixing in musescore 2.

Although it seems like 2 repetitions, in my arrangement the 2nd loop is actually different than the first. The notes in measure 17 and 18 aren't seen in 1.

I tried to figure out how to put slurs in but I am not very good with finale, I'm also not very good with any sort of piano arranging or sheet music. The way I arrange is probably very strange to most people here. To summarize it, I arrange it in Ableton Live 10, export each hand as separate midi, import each midi into musescore 2 as separate project, copy and paste them into 1 so they are 1, then export it into finale etc... But if I can learn how to do these things and they make the sheets better, I will do them.

I intentionally chose not to include the synth voice notes for consistency, I thought it would be weird to only have them sometimes, especially since they are much less the focus than the notes I did include. If I need to add them though, I can do it.

I agree that there could be some better way to work with the sustained note in the bass. While arranging it the first time I tried a few different things but the way I ended up with sounded the best, even though it feels a little weird. I didn't really understand what you said at the end, I'm sorry. If there is a way I can easily understand and make it better, I will gladly do it.

I tried to make it 2/2 in finale, but it just wouldn't work for some reason. It'd let me do everything but 2/2. I'm not sure why exactly I'd need to do it like that, but again if it makes the sheets better and if I can figure out how to do it, I'd be happy to fix it.

Thank you so much for taking time to try and help me! I really appreciate it! I know it is annoying having new guy on here struggling with basic things that all the experienced people know. I'll try my best to learn and be able to make things right first time.  :D

Khunjund

I think there's been a mistake, because your MUS, PDF, and MUSX files don't seem any different. The notes appear to be the same, and the font was the only change I noticed about the formatting.

I could fix the formatting in a MUS file for you, but I don't use MuseScore, so I don't know if you'd be able to work with that. If so, tell me and I'll get around to doing it when I can. If not, you'll have to wait for a staff member that knows his way around MuseScore to show up.

Quote from: elpapiofitay on December 03, 2018, 11:35:43 PMI intentionally chose not to include the synth voice notes for consistency, I thought it would be weird to only have them sometimes, especially since they are much less the focus than the notes I did include. If I need to add them though, I can do it.

That's up to you. I just wanted to know if this was an intentional omission or not.

Quote from: elpapiofitay on December 03, 2018, 11:35:43 PMI agree that there could be some better way to work with the sustained note in the bass. While arranging it the first time I tried a few different things but the way I ended up with sounded the best, even though it feels a little weird. I didn't really understand what you said at the end, I'm sorry. If there is a way I can easily understand and make it better, I will gladly do it.

It's the way that sounded best to you on your computer playback, or on a real piano? Also, what did you not understand? My Alberti bass suggestion? My comment on the pizzicato strings?

Quote from: elpapiofitay on December 03, 2018, 11:35:43 PMI tried to make it 2/2 in finale, but it just wouldn't work for some reason. It'd let me do everything but 2/2. I'm not sure why exactly I'd need to do it like that, but again if it makes the sheets better and if I can figure out how to do it, I'd be happy to fix it.

You don't necessarily have to make it 2/2. It could be in 4/4, but turning all your quarter notes into eighth notes, eighth notes into sixteenths, etc.; or in 2/4 using the same principle; or it could be left in 4/4 as is. It's up to you. Again, I could fix this in a MUS file, but I don't know if you'd be able to use it.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Libera

Definitely have a read through of the formatting guidelines and try and make your file fit them.  There are a number of issues that D3ath has already pointed out (margins, spacing, pno. on subsequent staves, etc.)

I definitely agree with halving all the note values and putting it in 2/4 instead.

Libera

elpapiofitay

Ok so I have updated the notes, i know the formatting is even worse than last time, i have put no effort there for now as last time wasn't good enough and I need help with it.

I did the recommended changes, though I think it sounds less accurate now. Sorry if I don't understand some stuff, I don't really know how to read sheet let alone create, because i write in midi.

But for the formatting, if I can be taught how to do it myself, I have finale 25, so I can do the changes myself when I learn so I don't need to often bother people here for help.

Thanks for being patient and for the feedback  ;D ;D ;D :D

Libera

Quote from: elpapiofitay on January 16, 2019, 02:02:35 PMSorry if I don't understand some stuff, I don't really know how to read sheet let alone create, because i write in midi.

So I hope this doesn't come across as mean, but I think this needs addressing.  The thing is, this is a site for VGM sheet music.  The arrangers here create sheet music for people to play from on their piano or keyboard, and that is what this entire submission process is geared towards.  If you don't know how to read sheet music, then it is going to be very difficult for you to get anything accepted onto the site.  This particular sheet has lots of issues, and (as you are probably noticing) it is difficult for you to respond to the feedback because fundamentally you don't know what is going on with the sheet itself.

If you'd like to submit sheet music to NSM, I suggest you start by learning how to read sheet music.  It's not altogether that difficult, and will just come with practice.  There are books that you can learn from, and probably some good online resources as well (although I'm not particularly versed in what is available online since I learnt to read sheet music from a teacher a very long time ago.)  Once you can read sheet music, it will be much easier for you to understand what the arrangers here are talking about when they are reviewing sheets that you have made.  Also, while there is nothing in particular wrong with midi arrangements, NSM is really not the place for them, so I suggest that once you can read sheet music, you arrange directly onto the sheets themselves rather than create a midi and then import it into finale.

To get back to the original submission, I think that aside from me essentially redoing this sheet for you, there's not a whole lot we can do here, and as such I'm going to archive this submission.  If you have any questions about how to go about learning to read sheet music, or arranging in general, you can make a thread for it in the help board.

I hope you do learn how to read sheet music, so that you can come back here and submit arrangements to the site! :)