NSM Winter Update Project Thread

Started by Libera, December 12, 2018, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

As discussed here it's time for the:

NSM Winter Update!

Dropbox Folder

Submit your winter-themed (or perhaps summer-themed for the benefit of our friends in the southern hemisphere) sheets in this thread!  We're aiming for an update on the winter solstice which is on the 21st December.  Since this has a strict deadline, we can't guarantee that every sheet submitted here will be included, but we will try our best to get in as many as we can!  We'll also be having a strict submission deadline of next wednesday (19th December).  As always, help with reviewing is greatly appreciated!

Submitted:

All done here!

Checked Once:

All done here!

Accepted:
- Bravely Default: The Immortal Country by Libera Checked by Latios212 Accepted by InsigTurtle
- Drakengard: Fourth Chapter - On the Ground by Libera Checked by InsigTurtle Accepted by Latios212
- Final Fantasy VI: The Mines of Narshe by Static Checked by Libera Accepted by InsigTurtle
- Final Fantasy VII: Buried in Snow by Renaud Bergeron Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Static
- Final Fantasy IX: Esto Gaza by Renaud Bergeron Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Static
- Ice Climber: Game Start by Yug_Guy Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Ice Climber: Stage Clear by Yug_Guy Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Ice Climber: Stage Theme by Yug_Guy Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Ice Climber: Title Screen / Bonus Stage by Yug_Guy Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Kirby: Squeak Squad: Wonder of the Stars by LeviR.star Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon: Secret Mine by LeviR.star Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- Mario & Wario: Level 4: Ice Cave by LeviR.star Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2: Pokke Village by Latios212 Checked by Libera Accepted by InsigTurtle
- NieR: Snow in Summer by Libera Checked by Latios212 Accepted by InsigTurtle
- Octopath Traveler: Flamesgrace, Guiding Light by Static Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- Octopath Traveler: The Frostlands by Latios212 Checked by Libera Accepted by Static
- Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door: Fahr Outpost by Static Checked by Libera Accepted by InsigTurtle
- Pokemon Ranger: Panula Cave by Trasdegi Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- Pokemon Ranger: Wintown by Trasdegi Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- Seiken Densetsu 3: Another Winter by Static Checked by Latios212 Accepted by InsigTurtle
- Spellforce: The Breath of Winter: Cenwen by Libera Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Static
- Super Bomberman 3: Winterland by LeviR.star Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- Super Mario Kart: Vanilla Lake (Replacement) by Th3Gavst3r Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- Super Mario Sunshine: Gelato Beach by E. Gadd Industries Checked by Latios212 Accepted by Libera
- The Legend of Dark Witch: Freesia by Static Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Snow Bowling Minigame by Latios212 Checked by Libera Accepted by Static
- Vs. Ice Climber: Bonus Stage by LeviR.star Checked by Libera Accepted by Latios212

Libera

Here are my submissions for this update.

The Immortal Country:

Cenwen:

Snow in Summer:

Fourth Chapter - On the Ground: 

Three different game series!?  And none of them are Fire Emblem!?  Preposterous.

(Edited back in the youtube embeds because you guys did and I like to conform.  Also I got rid of the links because on second thoughts I don't want to have to keep two sets of files up to date.  You can get these from the dropbox folder.)

Latios212

Two for now, I've added them to the Dropbox:

- Octopath Traveler: The Frostlands by Latios212

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Snow Bowling Minigame by Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

My 3 submissions will be these:

Seiken Densetsu 3 - Another Winter

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - Fahr Outpost

The Legend of Dark Witch - Freesia

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Yug_Guy on March 25, 2015, 07:27:28 PMIce Climber [NES]
Game StartMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Stage ClearMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Stage ThemeMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Title Screen / Bonus StageMUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
I only just now realized that these were winter-themed.

Trasdegi

Revised an oldie from my thread for this update

----Pokémon Ranger----

"Panula Cave": [Folder of stuff]

LeviR.star

I'm jumping in on this with some sheets that I made for last year's 12 Days of Sheets (which I thought were supposed to be Christmas-y)

Levi's 2018 Winter Update Sheets

(I added the Vs. Ice Climber sheet, a conveniently recent arrangement, when I noticed Yug post his Ice Climber stuff here)
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

E. Gadd Industries

"Gelato Beach" - Super Mario Sunshine
[MUSX]

Here's my submission

S'winter time, muahaha
"Everyone is crazy but me"
-The Sign Painter

The entrance to my lab is hidden... somewhere...
Spoiler

[/spoiler
[close]

Libera

I've moved everyone's stuff to the dropbox and updated the OP.

LeviR.star

Bonus Stage:

I spent ages looking for a youtube video for this until I found that you'd posted one on your PA thread.  I probably should have gone there sooner.  It looks pretty solid, and it was comforting to hear a nice twelve bar blues bass line.

-Maybe someone else knows better, but is your notation for straight eighths standard?  I don't think many pieces have this effect going on so there might not really be a nice accepted notation.
-I understand why you went with Fns in bars 2 and 4 but I think since they're not really harmonic I'd just write them as Ens for clarity.
-With the ascending line in the final bar I'd write the last Ab as a G# just to keep the pattern the same in every triplet (up down up, up down up etc.)
-With some of those fast triplet sections, I'd consider cutting back on some of the repeated harmony notes just because I think it won't affect the sound really at all but it'll be way easier to play.  For example (for bar 11):
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
Let me know what you think.
-Courtesy accidentals are something that this piece would benefit from a lot since there's a lot to keep track of.  Things like Ens in the bass in bars 2, 4 etc since we have Ebs and Ens in the right hand, Gn in the left hand in bar 16 since we've got a Gb striking at the same time in the right hand.  You could add in more if you want to be really explicit, but that's up to you.

Yug_Guy

Title Screen / Bonus Stage

So I opened this up immediately after going through Levi's and my first thought was 'did I just accidentally click resize?'  So yeah I guess these are basically the same piece but Levi's has some extra stuff in it?  Disclaimer I don't know anything about this game.

So quite a lot of the feedback is actually going to be similar stuff.

-Same point about courtesy accidentals.
-Same point about the Fb in bars 2 and 4.
-So in the run at bar 6 you decided on Abb here whereas Levi picked Gn.  To be honest I think both are perfectly fine so I'm happy either way here.  It really depends on whether you want to prioritise the readability of the intervals or the readability of the notes.
-So you have a lot of these really fast triplet dyad runs which are going to be really hard to perform.  I thought my dyad runs in Far Away were pushing it a little but these are like almost twice as fast as those.  Also the same comment about maybe taking out some of the repeated harmony notes in bar 9.
-Same comment about writing the third set of triplets in bar 12 as An G# An (C# B# C#, although I'm suggesting leaving that line out.)

Notes all look good, handy that I've already checked them once. :P

Stage Theme

The only thing I can see here is that I'd consider changing the dotted quaver semiquaver rhythms to quaver semiquaver rest semiquaver since there's a distinct gap between every note.  Other than that, nice.

Latios212

Snow Bowling Minigame

That was tough to check.

Only thing I have to say here is that final chord looks kinda tricky to play.  Maybe you could leave out the C since it's in the right hand anyway and that would leave the hand in a better position to play the top E.

Libera

-Your Immortal Country arrangement sucks.

There were a bunch of issues with it that I'm not sure how I missed; they've been fixed now though.

The Deku Trombonist

LeviR.star - Secret Mine
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ua58ch2ftkqjqmm/Luigi%27s%20Mansion%20Dark%20Moon%20-%20Secret%20Mine.musx?dl=0

Mainly some visual fixes.
- You're using a template that already has the staff size set at the happy ideal of 0.65cm so you there's no need to use the resize tool. (Actually, I don't think the resize tool should ever be used, except maybe for ossias. But I'm sure Ben would have a way of getting around that).
- I re-spaced everything so it's more aesthetically pleasing and makes better use of the two pages it was already taking up.
- You don't need the parenthesis in bar 26 in the LH because the is no clash with the RH (both are 8va).
- Bar 21 has a small rhythm grouping error that I fixed. I'm guessing you just skipped over it because bar 17 was grouped spot on.
- I really don't think the double bar lines belong here. The idea behind them is that they are used in conjunction with a significant change of time signature or key signature or to indicate the start of a new section. Here it seems like they were being used to indicate the start of a new phrase, which isn't what they're meant for. If you do want to indicate phrase lengths, phrase markings are a much more effective way of communicating this.
- I've always thought that it looks better to have the speed indication after the character indication in the tempo marking.
- I threw in some clef changes from 16 onward. I just thought that it was hanging around in the shark bait long enough to warrant it. Feel free to change them if you want.

Khunjund

Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AMSo I opened this up immediately after going through Levi's and my first thought was 'did I just accidentally click resize?'  So yeah I guess these are basically the same piece but Levi's has some extra stuff in it?  Disclaimer I don't know anything about this game.
Yeah, pretty much. Levi checked in with me before doing that arrangement; it's all good.

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AM-Same point about courtesy accidentals.
Should be good. Let me know if I missed any.

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AM-Same point about the Fb in bars 2 and 4.
Fixed.

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AM-So in the run at bar 6 you decided on Abb here whereas Levi picked Gn.  To be honest I think both are perfectly fine so I'm happy either way here.  It really depends on whether you want to prioritise the readability of the intervals or the readability of the notes.
I prioritized interval readability, so I'll keep it as Abb.

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AM-So you have a lot of these really fast triplet dyad runs which are going to be really hard to perform.  I thought my dyad runs in Far Away were pushing it a little but these are like almost twice as fast as those.  Also the same comment about maybe taking out some of the repeated harmony notes in bar 9.
-Same comment about writing the third set of triplets in bar 12 as An G# An (C# B# C#, although I'm suggesting leaving that line out.)
Decided to keep the dyads only on the first note of the triplet runs - let me know if that works. (your other suggestion essentially fixed itself after I changed this lol)

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 02:58:33 AMThe only thing I can see here is that I'd consider changing the dotted quaver semiquaver rhythms to quaver semiquaver rest semiquaver since there's a distinct gap between every note.  Other than that, nice.
Fixed.

Libera

Yug Guy

Stage Theme

Maybe I just missed these on the first look or they were added on your edit but you had some dotted quaver rests.  Since it was so simple I just changed those myself and put the new file in checked once.  Hope that's alright.

Title Screen / Bonus Stage

Quote from: Yug_Guy on December 14, 2018, 03:19:46 PMShould be good. Let me know if I missed any.

The places I was thinking were where you had an alteration in one staff but not in the other (just to avoid any ambiguity).  So that means places like the En in the left hand of bars 2 and 4 and 8, the Gn in the left hand of bar 8, the An in the left hand of bar 12 and maybe some others that I've missed.  If you need any clarification on that, let me know.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 04:01:12 PMThe places I was thinking were where you had an alteration in one staff but not in the other (just to avoid any ambiguity).  So that means places like the En in the left hand of bars 2 and 4 and 8, the Gn in the left hand of bar 8, the An in the left hand of bar 12 and maybe some others that I've missed.  If you need any clarification on that, let me know.
Okay, fixed.

Quote from: Libera on December 14, 2018, 04:01:12 PMMaybe I just missed these on the first look or they were added on your edit but you had some dotted quaver rests.  Since it was so simple I just changed those myself and put the new file in checked once.  Hope that's alright.

Latios212

Quote from: Trasdegi on December 13, 2018, 02:05:14 PMRevised an oldie from my thread for this update

----Pokémon Ranger----

"Panula Cave": [Folder of stuff]
Looks good, fixed up a couple of things aside from formatting:
- Respelling Gx as An
- These notes were incorrect before - there's an echo on all of these notes but the pitch you entered before was incorrect and not part of the melody. Barring echoes each of those figures should have a quarter note here.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]

I fixed up the file in Dropbox, let me know if there are any issues.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle