NSM Winter Update Project Thread

Started by Libera, December 12, 2018, 03:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on December 19, 2018, 10:58:38 PMEverything's been updated on Gelato Beach with the exception of one thing. Static, when I listen back to the original (Bass-BoostedTM), I'm not hearing the last 8th in m16 LH as an A, but as an E (as it is in Libera's suggested fixes). I'm still willing to fix it even now, but I want to point it out and give others the chance to weigh in with their thoughts.

So I put it through some wizardry and I can confirm that it is an A 100%.

Also, in the bar directly after that, there's something funny going on with the parenthesis.  Is this just your finale being strange again?  If so I'm happy to fix it for you.

Libera

Static

Fahr Outpost

Weiiiird piece.  Can't really complain though knowing my track record.

The only thing that I'm seeing is the chords in bars 7-8 and 13-14.  They just sound like single notes to me in the original and the major triads give a sound that doesn't really sound anything like the original.  Everything else looks good to me.

Latios212

Quote from: Trasdegi on December 20, 2018, 05:10:47 AMYeah, it's probably the An from above. The inversion (not the same as the original for playability) doesn't help either.
Yeah I agree with this, seems fine as it currently is. (Side note, including an An in the left hand chord would make it significantly more difficult to play.)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Latios212

Quote from: InsigTurtle on December 20, 2018, 02:05:29 AMPokke Village - This is nice. You could have filled some of the chords out a bit more in m.41 to end (e.g. the G in m.41, m.42) but I can understand if you avoided that since it'd be very dense. Otherwise, I like it.
Thank you! Yeah, I think I'll keep it as is; I want it to be rich but not overwhelmingly so.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Cool with Another Winter, Pokke Village, Snow in Summer, The Immortal Country.

Latios212

Quote from: D3ath3657 on December 16, 2018, 08:44:19 AMAnd third submission:

This is a replacement of one of my older submissions, which I'd like to include because a) it fits thematically, b) my formatting was garbage at the time and I'd like to eventually replace all of my first few submissions, c) it was accepted without a proper indication of character, which I really want to have for each of my arrangements.
Oh yeah, about this - I've uploaded this to the site immediately instead of including it in this update since there aren't any significant changes other than solely improvements. In the future you can post corrections for your on-site sheets here (for free!) unless the changes are large enough to warrant rigorous review again.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: InsigTurtle on December 20, 2018, 02:05:29 AMFahr Outpost - I love the harmony in this one. Not quite sure about the notation of the last chord, since the impression it gives off isn't quite like the original. A bit hard to follow which lines you're writing down in m.1-2 (even in m.6, I'm hearing a slightly different pattern in the second half of the measure).

The mines of Narshe - Only comment is I'm wondering what happened to the B in m.4 (since the top line goes C to B)

Another Winter - m.13 and 14's top staff's bottom voice, i'm guessing you switched the F and G in beat 4 of m.13 and changed it slightly in m.14 to avoid 2nds right? likewise in m.25? i'm not the hugest fan of that but i think it's cool.
Fahr Outpost: I changed the last chord to have 2 grace notes, and I think it sounds more accurate this way. Also, I chose the voices in m1-2 and 6 because those are the ones I heard as the most prominent.
Narshe: I just forgot to put those notes there, oops.
Another Winter: Yeah, that's basically why I adjusted the voices.

Quote from: Libera on December 20, 2018, 03:54:44 PMStatic

Fahr Outpost

Weiiiird piece.  Can't really complain though knowing my track record.

The only thing that I'm seeing is the chords in bars 7-8 and 13-14.  They just sound like single notes to me in the original and the major triads give a sound that doesn't really sound anything like the original.  Everything else looks good to me.
I made these chords just parallel 5ths so that way they keep some of the beefiness but aren't really defined.

Libera

Latios212

Quote from: E. Gadd Industries on December 19, 2018, 10:58:38 PMEverything's been updated on Gelato Beach with the exception of one thing. Static, when I listen back to the original (Bass-BoostedTM), I'm not hearing the last 8th in m16 LH as an A, but as an E (as it is in Libera's suggested fixes).
Actually, both are present here. For measures 11, 13, 15, and 16, the bass note bends up a half tone and then back down, but a new tone also comes in as the tone bends back downwards. Either is valid to include since both make musical sense, but I would recommend writing in the new tone instead to parallel the movement in other places like m.. 10 and 18. So m. 11/13/15 would be A-Bb-Bn and 16 would be E-F-A.

In addition, while Static's rhythm for m. 23+ is accurate, it leaves an awkward silence at the beginning of m. 23 and similar places. I think we can compromise with what was written before and throw in a bass note on the beginning of the measures to better anchor the beat in.

I've fixed the files for you (plus a couple other wonky things due to your broken Finale; let me know if you have any qualms)!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

E. Gadd Industries

Gelato Beach

Accepted!  (Unless you have a problem with Latios' edits.)

Latios212

Fourth Chapter - On the Ground

Please, never again...

- The chord needs more space in m. 54. You can manually nudge it to the right to give it and the wavy line more space; there's ample room for it.
- DC should be aligned with the end barlines
- Put an even 5 systems on each page instead of 6-5-4.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on December 20, 2018, 06:48:37 PMFourth Chapter - On the Ground

Please, never again...

- The chord needs more space in m. 54. You can manually nudge it to the right to give it and the wavy line more space; there's ample room for it.
- DC should be aligned with the end barlines
- Put an even 5 systems on each page instead of 6-5-4.

All done.  Thanks for checking it, and apologies for submitting such horrible sheets for this.

Latios212

Looks awful good. (I'd be super happy if you submitted nicer-sounding stuff next time :P)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

Also good with Fahr Outpost and Fourth Chapter - On the Ground so let's get ready to roll