News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[GB] Super Mario Land - "Short Themes & Sound Effects" by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, March 20, 2019, 08:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario Land
Console: Game Boy
Title: Short Themes & Sound Effects
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

About time I got around to fixing this sheet from too long ago. This compilation should take care of all of the music not already on the site for Super Mario Land.

Most of these themes can be found in this playlist.

One of them that can't is "No Prize", which had to be time-stamped in this video, a TAS speedrun.

The sound effects, which I arranged just for the heck of it, can be found here. Watch out for the ads.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Nice collection, good work! Just a few small things here and there. :P

Bonus Room:
- You can condense quarter+eighth rest into a dotted quarter rest since we're in compound time here. Don't have to, but I'd recommend it.

Invincibility:
- It looks like you've modified the LH part a bit in m. 8 (of the sheet, not this theme) but I would suggest writing in Eb-Bb-Gb-Bb or something to keep the up/down movement going.
- Similarly how about this for the last measure? Also because the top C obscures the melody A.
You cannot view this attachment.

Course Clear:
- Same comment as Course Clear regarding condensing rests.
- The second chord in the second measure is a simple major triad and should be spelled as such. You should either respell the Gn as Fx, or change the D#/A# to Eb/Bb.

Boss:
- I don't think the left hand A restrikes; it sounds like one sustained dotted half note.

False Daisy:
- The first measure does suggest this small theme is centered around G but I would just suggest writing this keyless (and using Ab, Bb, and C#).

Tatanga:
- Intervals again: write the second measure as a fifth as well (would suggest Ab).

Miss:
- Any reason why beats 3-4 are beamed together in RH but not left?
- Beat 3 is missing a G.

Game Over:
- (Wow, that first half of the fanfare instantly reminded me of both Helper's Rest from Kirby Super Star and Title from Super Mario Maker...)

Thanks for providing all the links; made the collection easy to check. I didn't see the 1-Up sound effect on any of the links, but some guy on the internet named Levi uploaded a video for it so I was able to verify that :thinking:
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

- Bonus Room: Ooh, I should have known better. I'll do that.

- Invinciblity: Both good ideas; I wasn't entirely sure how to handle those areas myself so I thought I'd check with the updaters on it. Also, I've updated it to match a note I have for "Intermission" in this sheet here.

- Course Clear: Good point; I should have noticed that chord spelling error.

- Boss: After recently re-listening to the piece when I polished this for submission, I added the re-strike on that note, convinced that it was there. I think it may just be the percussion getting in the way of me hearing it, but I'll change it to a dotted half unless another updater disagrees.

- False Daisy: Got it. Key and spellings changed (they were just guesses, after all. :P)

- Tatanga: Glad you caught that; fixed. Courtesy accidental added to match, too. Question: should I allow both hands to play the first four measures, or would that be unnecessary?

- Miss: Not sure :-\ When I went in and clicked on that first unbeamed note, it automatically beamed with the next, so maybe it was just some weird glitch. Also, I added the G to the LH and moved the B to the RH.

- Game Over: Wow, I never noticed that until you pointed it out. Weird...

Quote from: Latios212 on March 23, 2019, 10:05:35 AMI didn't see the 1-Up sound effect on any of the links, but some guy on the internet named Levi uploaded a video for it so I was able to verify that

Man, I completely forgot about that! The only two YouTube videos I ever uploaded were for submissions (the other for that old BS Kirby's Toy Box sheet) Had to use a weird website to make the upload, and never got around to doing the other sound effects in the game. But I'm glad it turned up for you! What a small Internet we live in.

Thanks for taking the time to check these! Files updated.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 24, 2019, 09:52:47 PM- Tatanga: Glad you caught that; fixed. Courtesy accidental added to match, too. Question: should I allow both hands to play the first four measures, or would that be unnecessary?
Either way is fine - even when it's written like this it's super easy to read it for two hands if the performer wants so I'd just leave it.

Everything looks great now! Actually... just fix the header alignment and I approve.

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 24, 2019, 09:52:47 PMThanks for taking the time to check these! Files updated.
You're very welcome, and thanks for the quick turnover! :)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on March 25, 2019, 07:21:28 PMEverything looks great now! Actually... just fix the header alignment and I approve.

Ah, curses, the flaws of my old files

Updated!

EDIT: Should I change the last 16th in each measure of "Bonus Game" to an 8th, eliminating the need for a rest?

Latios212

Up to you. It's perfectly readable here so you don't have to change it.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

This looks great, just a few suggestions:

-To represent the multiple voices, how about something like this for Walking Towards Prize?
Spoiler
[close]

-I get that this doesn't matter so much, but I'm fairly confident that the voices in Game Over are actually doing this:
Spoiler
[close]
It also makes more sense this way, without the middle voice dropping under the lower voice.

-I'd suggest a double barline at the end of the fourth bar of Tatanga.

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 25, 2019, 09:09:19 PMShould I change the last 16th in each measure of "Bonus Game" to an 8th, eliminating the need for a rest?

I personally would write that note as a staccato quaver, but it's not massively important.

I think that's everything from me; the notes look solid.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on March 26, 2019, 04:00:59 PM-To represent the multiple voices, how about something like this for Walking Towards Prize?
Spoiler
[close]

I don't exactly agree with adding a bass line that isn't there, but I see your point on putting emphasis on the dominant voice. To compromise, I added accents to the staccatos.

Quote from: Libera on March 26, 2019, 04:00:59 PM-I get that this doesn't matter so much, but I'm fairly confident that the voices in Game Over are actually doing this:
Spoiler
[close]
It also makes more sense this way, without the middle voice dropping under the lower voice.

After listening to it again, I hear the subtle change in GB instruments' voices, and agree with what you have. As long as writing it like that will allow the performer to assume they can use their LH for the A flat restrike, I'm good with it.

Quote from: Libera on March 26, 2019, 04:00:59 PM-I'd suggest a double barline at the end of the fourth bar of Tatanga.

I've been told by several updaters and arrangers lately that a double barline should be used for drastic key, time, and tempo changes, rather than for capping off intros or indicating new sections, like I had been doing for some time. With all due respect, I'd rather not have one there.

Quote from: Libera on March 26, 2019, 04:00:59 PMI personally would write that note as a staccato quaver, but it's not massively important.

That looks the best to me; changed to a staccato quaver. I also added staccatos to the LH in that same song, and made some new slur decisions in the other short themes, too.

Files fixed again.

Libera

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 26, 2019, 09:26:54 PMAfter listening to it again, I hear the subtle change in GB instruments' voices, and agree with what you have. As long as writing it like that will allow the performer to assume they can use their LH for the A flat restrike, I'm good with it.

If you'd prefer it to be more explicit you can cross-staff it or write LH with brackets or whatever really but I don't think it's particularly confusing at the moment (due to how there's not a whole lot going on.)

Quote from: LeviR.star on March 26, 2019, 09:26:54 PMI've been told by several updaters and arrangers lately that a double barline should be used for drastic key, time, and tempo changes, rather than for capping off intros or indicating new sections, like I had been doing for some time. With all due respect, I'd rather not have one there.

Huh, you certainly wouldn't have been told that by either myself or Latios.  But I understand that double barlines are a pretty subjective matter so it's up to you.  I just always use double barlines before a segno, which is why I was suggesting it here.

Another thing that I just noticed is that Offenbach's name shouldn't be written as 'Of enbach' which I can only assume was a typo.

Everything else looks great!

LeviR.star

Quote from: Libera on March 27, 2019, 07:55:54 AMIf you'd prefer it to be more explicit you can cross-staff it or write LH with brackets or whatever really but I don't think it's particularly confusing at the moment (due to how there's not a whole lot going on.)

I moved that beat 3 LH quarter back down using the Note Mover tool. Do all of the stem directions look correct?

Quote from: Libera on March 27, 2019, 07:55:54 AMAnother thing that I just noticed is that Offenbach's name shouldn't be written as 'Of enbach' which I can only assume was a typo.

So it wasn't just me... I wonder how that happened, considering I copy & pasted.

Files updated once more.

Libera

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot