News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[SNES] Final Fantasy IV - "Kingdom of Baron" (Replacement) by Tobbeh99

Started by Zeta, January 05, 2019, 09:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy IV
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Kingdom of Baron
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Tobbeh99

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tobbeh99

Don't know how well this arrangement is (and the ending I did). But I'll give a try. This needs a replacement, however, as the one on site is not that great (in some regards).

Also not sure what the title should be. If it should be "The Kingdom of Baron" or "Kingdom of Baron" or "Kingdom Baron".

Quote from: Dudeman on August 16, 2016, 06:11:42 AM
tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

LeviR.star

I don't know about the title, but the video should probably be different.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Tobbeh99

tfw you get schooled in English grammar by a guy whose first language is not English

10/10 tobbeh

Libera

It's super late with me so I'm probably not going to get everything, but I'll see what I can do.

-First bar the last four quavers are F C G D not F Db Ab Eb.
-The bass in bars 2-5 (and everywhere like it) has prominent fifth harmonies above it, i.e. C C C C Bb etc.  For the bass in bars 8-9 I think the Ds might be Db, or perhaps better written as C# and the fifth harmony above goes Bn Bn Bn Bn C# (so it goes up rather than down at the end of the bar.)
-The diminuendo in bar 1 is a little close to the barline at the end.  Same with the crescendo in bars 6-7.
-I'm hearing at crotchet at the end of bar 13 in the right hand as opposed to the two quavers (like in the previous bar).
-The last crotchet in the left hand of bar 11 sounds like it goes up to a G-D dyad rather than down to a D-A dyad.
-The piece seems to me to be in F minor rather than C minor.
-http to https.  Also the copyright looks like it's too far up.
-Maybe move the tempo marking so it's not so close to the flat sign.

Khunjund

I believe "Kingdom of Baron" is the official English title, like you have it.

I got ninja'd by Libera, so I'll try to go over things he hasn't said:
  • The sections in F minor should be written with the proper key signature, i.e. four flats.
  • The melody in measures 2–5 is doubled in thirds, and there is no Gb in the right hand measures 2 and 4 (it's actually in the left—the bass goes up, not down):
    Spoiler

[close]
    If you want to simplify it by holding notes instead, that's your choice, but I think you should avoid the right hand Gb in measures 2 and 4.
  • The last trumpet dyad of the left hand in both measures 6 and 7 is Eb-F, not C-F. (The bass still goes up to Gb here, so you could add that underneath if you want and get a Gb-Eb-F triad.)
  • For measures 8–9, the second trumpet stays on G# (it doesn't go up to An), the bass has D# instead of D natural, and, as Libera said, the "tenor" has Bn plus a C# over the bass's D#. I have two suggestions for this section:
    • The second trumpet plays a Dn at the start of measure 8, so you could put that in the right hand.
    • You could drop the second G# of every sixteenth note pair—it's a little awkward to play.
  • In measure 11, the second trumpet stays in thirds with the first trumpet, so beat two should have A>C# in eighths instead of Bn twice.
  • For measures 10–13, the harmony voices move in parallel thirds, which makes for a smoother sound than the martial fifths you have currently, and the bass stays on A later on:
    Spoiler

[close]
    According to the character of your arrangement, I'd suggest something more like this:
    Spoiler

[close]
    Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think these measures might work better with the key signature of G major. Uematsu has used minor V chords in major keys before, but that's not quite what it feels like to me, here.
  • As for the copyright information, I think NSM prefers current forms over historical forms, so it should be "Square Enix (Holdings Co., Ltd.)" rather than just "Square (Co., Ltd.)".
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Static

Quote from: D3ath3657 on January 14, 2019, 08:40:27 PMI believe "Kingdom of Baron" is the official English title, like you have it.
It's actually just "Kingdom Baron", according to the official soundtrack.

Quote from: D3ath3657 on January 14, 2019, 08:40:27 PMAs for the copyright information, I think NSM prefers current forms over historical forms, so it should be "Square Enix (Holdings Co., Ltd.)" rather than just "Square (Co., Ltd.)".
I don't remember any formal conversation about copyright info, but I don't mind either way. I think I usually go with whatever the original copyright info is (because it'll never change), and many other more recent sheets (that is, those that went through the new quality control system) don't adhere to a definite copyright rule.

Khunjund

Quote from: Static on January 15, 2019, 10:23:46 AMIt's actually just "Kingdom Baron", according to the official soundtrack.

Wikipedia takes its names from the more recent remastered version, so it's possible there was a translation error in the original, especially since English puts the proper name before the object being named in such constructions, and therefore "Kingdom Baron" would be ungrammatical, much like "City New York", for example.

Quote from: Static on January 15, 2019, 10:23:46 AMI don't remember any formal conversation about copyright info, but I don't mind either way. I think I usually go with whatever the original copyright info is (because it'll never change), and many other more recent sheets (that is, those that went through the new quality control system) don't adhere to a definite copyright rule.

Copyrights might not change on the physical copies of the game, but they do change in the registers: "Final Fantasy IV" is currently the property of Square Enix Co., Ltd. and not Square Co., Ltd. In any case, this was just an assumption on my part considering the sheets that were uploaded recently; I wasn't aware if there was an actual rule or not, but it might be useful to define one.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Tobbeh99

Holy moly. This was a lot of comments. (nice! :)). I try and see if I can fix some of it, when I have some time left over. And y, listening to the song, it seems like I've added a lot of stuff there (that's not in the original) and also some notes might be wrong (measure 1 I think). I'll have a look (when I have time).

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Fixed some of the stuff you guys pointed out.

-First measure notes
-The key signatures
-Some bass notes
-Measure 2-4 notes in the right hand.

Although I don't know if I wan't to have fifths as well in the bass. It might get to powerful/thick/bold. And I think octaves might be better for the sound.
I have to check measures 10-13 and see what to do there (if anything).

Quote-The diminuendo in bar 1 is a little close to the barline at the end.  Same with the crescendo in bars 6-7.
-
Is this an issue? I used the finale default spacing in which it goes to the line. But I could move it if you want/if I should.

Also I can fix the copyright once you guys have worked it out. Should I take the current name of Square, or the old?

10/10 tobbeh

Libera

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 19, 2019, 03:59:34 PMIs this an issue? I used the finale default spacing in which it goes to the line. But I could move it if you want/if I should.

Finale default spacing is often not the best to use.  A great example would be finale's default slur placement, which is frequently horrible.

Quote from: Tobbeh99 on January 19, 2019, 03:59:34 PMAlso I can fix the copyright once you guys have worked it out. Should I take the current name of Square, or the old?

Probably best to see what Latios thinks about this.

Tobbeh99

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Fixed the copyright. I have the "Square Enix" one on my Red Wings arrangement so I figured that might be the best.
Also changed a note in the bass in m.11 so that the bass goes up at the last chord.

10/10 tobbeh

Tobbeh99

Edited my sheet a bit, took some of your suggestions and thinned it (the chords) out a bit.

10/10 tobbeh

Static

I looked through the notes this time for this one to see if I could find anything else, and there's not much else to say. Everything looks good.

Also, to match the sheet, the submission title should be just be "Kingdom of Baron."