News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[N64] Banjo-Tooie - "Mayahem Temple (Aquatic)" by Sebastian

Started by Zeta, January 05, 2019, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Banjo-Kazooie
Game: Banjo-Tooie
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Mayahem Temple (Aquatic)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Sebastian

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sebastian

Man, I haven't submitted in a while.

EDIT: Just noticed the PDF error. One sec...

EDIT: Fixed.

Libera

Finally something of yours for me to check. :P

The notes look solid so no problems there.  I've just got some minor comments really.

-Spellings for bars 20-23 and 49-52: I'd change all of the Fbs to Ens just so you're consistently spelling the chord as a Gdim7.  I'd also then change the Gb in bars 20 and 49 to an F# to match the other bars.
-After bar 20 you haven't written any more dynamics and I just wanted to check that you do indeed want everything mp after bar 20.
-There are some inconsistencies with courtesy accidentals.  For example in bar 27 you don't give a courtesy on the Bb but in bar 31 you do.  Also if you want to put in courtesy accidentals there are more that you could add, like Gn in the left hand of bar 20, Gns in the left hand of bar 32 (maybe even a Cn in bar 29 if you want to be really courteous).
-You could change the 'go to measure 4' to a D.S. and put a sign at bar 4.

Never listened to any of this music before, so thanks for that!

Sebastian

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote from: Libera on January 08, 2019, 08:04:30 AM-Spellings for bars 20-23 and 49-52: I'd change all of the Fbs to Ens just so you're consistently spelling the chord as a Gdim7.  I'd also then change the Gb in bars 20 and 49 to an F# to match the other bars.
I'll check spellings when I get to my PC.

Quote from: Libera on January 08, 2019, 08:04:30 AM-After bar 20 you haven't written any more dynamics and I just wanted to check that you do indeed want everything mp after bar 20.
Like other Aquatic variations of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie tracks, this song is very basic with dynamics. The dynamic level usually doesn't change at all. Even switching between P and MP may even be a stretch for this song, but I didn't want it to be too boring dynamic-wise.

Quote from: Libera on January 08, 2019, 08:04:30 AM-There are some inconsistencies with courtesy accidentals.  For example in bar 27 you don't give a courtesy on the Bb but in bar 31 you do.  Also if you want to put in courtesy accidentals there are more that you could add, like Gn in the left hand of bar 20, Gns in the left hand of bar 32 (maybe even a Cn in bar 29 if you want to be really courteous).
My personal code for courtesy accidentals is this: I will put a courtesy accidental on a diatonic note that is one measure after a previously chromaticised note.
Exceptions: If the next measure with the diatonic note is on the next line (or page), I won't put a courtesy accidental on it. The reason for this is because the key signature just to the left is a reminder of which notes have accidentals. This is why I have one in M. 31, but not in M. 27. This is the same reason I don't in M. 32 either. As for M. 29, that is two measures away. However, M. 20 was an oversight on my part. I'll update that one.

Obviously this personal code of mine isn't always the best way. There are some songs where I'd recommend courtesy accidentals in measures more than two away from the original measure or even in the same measure of the accidental (For example, my "Smorgs Battle" from TTYD).
Hopefully that helps you understand what I'm thinking when it comes to courtesy accidentals :p

As for the D.S., that's probably better from a musical engraving standpoint, so I'll probably go with that. I was going more for a practical note to help the performer to jump right to measure 4 without searching for a segno sign.

Thanks again for the feedback : )

Sebastian

Sorry for the late response.
I agree with your spelling changes recommendation, as well. Fixed and updated.

Libera

Latios212

Looks pretty neat, just two things.

- That forward repeat at bar 4 is confusing. There's no end repeat bar to pair with it. Shouldn't it be a double barline?
- The tremolos look quite difficult to play exactly as written. How do you intend for this to be performed?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2019, 07:01:16 PM- That forward repeat at bar 4 is confusing. There's no end repeat bar to pair with it. Shouldn't it be a double barline?

Yeah you don't need the repeat bars and the D.S., sign combination.  Just remove the repeat bars in bar 4 and at the end.

Sebastian

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2019, 07:01:16 PM- That forward repeat at bar 4 is confusing. There's no end repeat bar to pair with it. Shouldn't it be a double barline?
Nice catch. I'll get rid of the end one too. I should've removed those, but forgot.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 28, 2019, 07:01:16 PM- The tremolos look quite difficult to play exactly as written. How do you intend for this to be performed?
Those don't need to be played as fast in the original since that is obviously really hard. :P
So...I could put a performance note, I guess. Could I just leave it as is? I'm sure the performer will do it their way anyway. Up to you!

EDIT:
Quote from: Libera on February 02, 2019, 07:00:45 AMYeah you don't need the repeat bars and the D.S., sign combination.  Just remove the repeat bars in bar 4 and at the end.
Ninja'd xD

Latios212

Quote from: Sebastian on February 02, 2019, 07:11:12 AMThose don't need to be played as fast in the original since that is obviously really hard. :P
So...I could put a performance note, I guess. Could I just leave it as is? I'm sure the performer will do it their way anyway. Up to you!
It's up to you; I just wanted to bring it up in case there was one way you wanted to clarify it. There are a couple of ways you can interpret the intention to bring out that kind of effect there without playing it literally (like alternating the bottom two and top two notes, or just repeatedly playing the four notes in some fashion) that would all probably sound fine. So yeah, just lemme know it's written the way you want it :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

If you'd like a suggestion, I think this is how I would intuitively play that section:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
But other things would probably work too.

Sebastian

Excellent suggestion, Libera. That makes it much easier to play, too.

Updated.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot