News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[3DS] Fire Emblem Fates - "As All Stars Fall" by Libera

Started by Zeta, January 18, 2019, 12:58:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Fire Emblem
Game: Fire Emblem Fates
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: As All Stars Fall
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

I still need to get my other sub ready, but I'll post this here in the mean time.  The channel that I used for non-extended versions of Fates stuff got taken down recently, so I had to find another one.  This channel seems to have all of the pieces, but all of the names are incorrect so searching through it to find this piece was a pain.

Latios212

Nice, this song was too slow for me to make any sense of it before seeing it all written out, similar to "......". :P While I think the lack of a time signature is cool, it seems like it'd work perfectly fine in 4/4... it would also help make some sense of the structure, because it seems like there is one.

I also think that the F-Gb dyad in the second system would be better written as a grace note or rolled, the minor second doesn't play at once.

Other than that, looks great! (Also don't remember where this plays, but noticing now that this melody shares a snippet with "Warmth Is Gone", probably makes sense?)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Thanks for looking it over!

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2019, 09:07:10 AMNice, this song was too slow for me to make any sense of it before seeing it all written out, similar to "......". :P While I think the lack of a time signature is cool, it seems like it'd work perfectly fine in 4/4... it would also help make some sense of the structure, because it seems like there is one.

I originally messed around with time signatures, not just 4/4 but others as well and I eventually came to the conclusion that it worked best this way.  Maybe something involving dashed barlines might work better?

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2019, 09:07:10 AMI also think that the F-Gb dyad in the second system would be better written as a grace note or rolled, the minor second doesn't play at once.

I think at some point when I was messing around the roll on that chord got moved two beats earlier, or something like that.  Anyway, it's fixed now.

Quote from: Latios212 on January 20, 2019, 09:07:10 AM(Also don't remember where this plays, but noticing now that this melody shares a snippet with "Warmth Is Gone", probably makes sense?)

I'll just leave this here: "What we need ... is caring... and a warm hand ... and tears."
I think it might play in some other places as well, not sure.

Latios212

I dunno; I still think it works a lot better in 4/4:
- There are a lot of parallels you can draw between the first and second halves. The RH melody is exactly the same in the second half as the first. Some of the left hand is the same as well.
- "Important" beats fall on the first beat of the measures, like the whole notes in m. 2/6 and the chords in m. 3/7.
- It also fits very nicely on two systems and while you lose the immense amount of space surrounding the notes (for the spaced-out effect), juxtaposing the measures like this makes it a lot easier to tell what's going on musically.

You cannot view this attachment.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

So I've updated the files with something using dashed barlines.  Here are my thoughts on what you've said.

The way I see it, this piece has structure but no metre.  You've pointed out a lot of the structural things going on already, and the dashed barlines should help to emphasise that.  Writing it in 4/4 would also require a time signature change for the final bar, which I'm strongly against due to there being no perceivable metre change in the piece.  Also while I understand the thought behind keeping it to four bars a system, I really do value the 'spacedness' of how I wrote it out originally and I think that's more important than showing off the greater structure of the piece.  (Also I just don't like how it sits on the page, everything feels too squished at the top for my liking.)

Another thing I'd like to mention, even though it's not really all that important, is that the different note lengths are really just a result of putting the piece onto the sheet.  There are no discernible differences between any of the note lengths in the original.

Edit: Just noticed that the dashed barlines and the rolls were interacting a little strangely visually so I gave those bits a little more space.

Static

Notes, formatting, etc. all good, just one quick question: Is there a reason why you decided to make the very last note just a half note as opposed to a dotted half? I don't disagree necessarily (I think it would be fine either way), but I'm curious.

Edit: In addition to this, I second Latios's timesig suggestion for the reasons he gave. If you made it 4/4, the half note at the end could be made into a dotted half (with no fermata) to keep everything in time like in the original.

Libera

Static and I discussed this on discord and I think the files are going to stay as they are.  The timings for the last bar don't match up with 4/4 and do match up with how I wrote them.  I can see how one could write the rest of this sheet in strict 4/4, but it just doesn't sit right with me for reasons that I've already stated.

Thanks for everyone's input on this sheet, and I do think it's in a better state than it was when I submitted it originally.

Latios212

I vehemently disagree and will make the point that the extra split second of a duration at the end of the song is hardly cause to affect the decision of whether there should be a time signature or not given how much other structure there is to go on.

But it's your sheet, so you may have my approval.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

At the end of the day, the arranger should decide how (stylistically) to arrange their sheet. While I have many of the same reasons as Lat for a time signature, the sheet works without one just as well. I approve.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot