[NDS] Pokémon HeartGold Version & Pokémon SoulSilver Version - "Battle! (Trainer Battle—Johto Versio

Started by Zeta, January 07, 2019, 09:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Pokémon
Game: Pokémon HeartGold Version & Pokémon SoulSilver Version
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Battle! (Trainer Battle—Johto Version)
Instrumentation Two Pianos
Arranger: JDMEK5

[attachment deleted by admin]

JDMEK5

"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements
Finale Version(s): Finale Notepad 2012, Finale 2012, Finale v26

Latios212

that's a lotta notes, but I love Johto music <3

Voice choices:
- One of the things I find to be characteristic about this song's intro as opposed to the original GS version is the offbeat descending high notes which you don't have written in (that seemingly are the same voice as the last beat of the second full measure). Up to you on whether to include them (or how to fit them in if so), but I feel like that's important when I listen to the HGSS track.
- There's an important countermelody missing in m. 26-27 II RH.
- In m. 36-37 there's another voice besides the top melody and bass octaves you wrote in. Sounds like half notes D-Eb in m. 36 and parallel octaves with the melody in m. 37, maybe give that to I LH and have II play octaves.
- In m. 38-39 there's a cool high flute-y countermelody that to me is more oustanding than the synth-y dyads below it. Any chance we could incorporate that?
- m. 89-95: this is where the song goes absolutely bonkers (as if it wasn't already haha) and what is really missing here is the offbeat hits that give this part its driving motion. I've sure you can fit it in somehow seeing as neither left hand is particularly busy there right now.

Other stuff:
- Spacing overall - would recommend only having two systems on the first page to avoid crushing the copyright since you have room at the end. As well, not squishing 14-18 into one system since you again have room to work with at the end.
- Could we have opening dynamics? Also it isn't clear what voice the mp in m. 4 is attached to.
- Quarter rest in m. 8/10/14 II RH beat 3?
- https
- How about a new dynamic and some articulation at m. 112?
- The pickup being a full measure instead of a pickup measure is throwing off the numbering (fix this after you look at the above so my feedback isn't all shifted xD)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

JDMEK5

Updated and revamped. I redid some other spots you didn't mention to increase ease and playability.

Voice choices:
- Added
- Added
- Added
- You got it. Added
- Added with a tad bit of adapting to make it functional and optimized for piano

Other stuff:
- Aye, done
- You certainly can
- I don't see the problem with the quarter rests here
- nice Oh I see; thought you had a typo there. Got it.
- Sure thing. Also included a hocketing system so it comes out wicked-clean with minimal effort. Much easier now than repeating the chord that fast.
- Fixed the numbering
"Today's goal strongly involves not dying. Because nobody likes to wake up dead."

My Arrangements

Latios212

Yay looks good! Just a last couple of things before I sign off.

Quote from: JDMEK5 on February 21, 2019, 03:21:15 PM- I don't see the problem with the quarter rests here
Ah I meant we can use quarter rests instead of two eighth rests in a few places - now beat 3 of m. 7, 9, 13.

- The text at the beginning is overlapping the barline. You can either have the enclosure break the barline, or move it somewhere else like above or below the staff, or omit it entirely since the music implies that anyway.
- The footer is too low.
- The slurs can be adjusted to avoid the accents in m. 19+.
- That flat in measure 24 is placed really strangely; I'm not really sure what the intention here is?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

AmpharosAndy

Out of curiosity, why the change from 2/2 in the 2/x section to 2/4 in this particular version?
innit

cashwarrior1

The left hand in the first part in measures 84-87 sounds wrong. I listened to the music and I don't exactly hear what part you're trying to cover here? I'm thinking it might be better to make the chords match what the right hand is doing, or maybe it can be the same as the second part's left hand just an octave higher/lower.

JDMEK5

Quote from: Latios212 on March 23, 2019, 11:30:59 AM- The text at the beginning is overlapping the barline. You can either have the enclosure break the barline, or move it somewhere else like above or below the staff, or omit it entirely since the music implies that anyway.
- The footer is too low.
- The slurs can be adjusted to avoid the accents in m. 19+.
- That flat in measure 24 is placed really strangely; I'm not really sure what the intention here is?
Fixed up in discord discussion.

Quote from: AmpharosAndy on April 04, 2019, 09:25:47 AMOut of curiosity, why the change from 2/2 in the 2/x section to 2/4 in this particular version?
I'm pretty sure originally it was because of an offset somewhere that there was going to be one 2/4 measure in order to get things to line up and from there I just decided to make that call. I'm not necessarily super stuck to it but it would be more work to swap it back and I'm not convinced it's a real big problem right now is all.

Quote from: cashwarrior1 on April 05, 2019, 03:18:52 PMThe left hand in the first part in measures 84-87 sounds wrong. I listened to the music and I don't exactly hear what part you're trying to cover here? I'm thinking it might be better to make the chords match what the right hand is doing, or maybe it can be the same as the second part's left hand just an octave higher/lower.
Oooh yeah.... no you're right I honestly don't remember what happened there. I went back through and you're right on the money- the bass line is in octaves so that's how it is now. Thanks!

TL;DR- Everything updated.

My Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: JDMEK5 on June 08, 2019, 06:13:00 PMI'm pretty sure originally it was because of an offset somewhere that there was going to be one 2/4 measure in order to get things to line up and from there I just decided to make that call. I'm not necessarily super stuck to it but it would be more work to swap it back and I'm not convinced it's a real big problem right now is all.
For what it's worth, you switched to 2/2 with one bar of 3/2 for this section in the GSC version a while back. I myself prefer the bars the same length as the rest of the piece instead of 2/4, but I won't make you change it either way.

Nothing further from me, approved :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

I'm honestly not sure what to say about this sheet. There's more notes than I can conceivably check, but it sounds kind of accurate? I guess I'll just point out a few notation hiccups then.
-m6/8 - notes are tied to notes with opposite stem directions and it looks weird.
-m20-23 both pianos - You can't seem to decide if accents belong above or below the slur. Pick one and make it consistent.
-m29 piano 1 RH - first grace note flat is colliding with the 32nd note
these were all from the PDF since the .mus import was screwing up a bit more.

JDMEK5

Thanks for the comments Mael; in fact, in my own further review of this sheet, I was struck with a realization of just how much better I could still make this one. So once I covered your comments, I went ahead and did a grand overhaul of this one- like a remastering. Not only have places been re-notated to be clearer and easier to read, parts slightly altered to enhance efficiency and teamwork between parts, articulations redone, and extra fat removed; but I have also tested all the parts for play-ability and optimized everything for greatest ease, including the additions of fingerings and other technical assistance notes. In that aspect, this piece has gone from a "oof it's really really tough but likely techincally doable" to "very much doable with fairly experienced players, but even then the tough spots are fewer and farther between". Needless to say, this has become an arrangement I feel very good about standing behind now. Between the sheet prior and this one, very little has actually changed aside from small things that serve to make the biggest difference. Please let me know if there's anything I missed or still lack!

My Arrangements

cashwarrior1

Maelstrom

I approve of this new and improved version, but I'd like latios to take a glance over it and be the one to accept it since so much changed.

Latios212

Splendid work, thanks for putting the extra mile into this one!

Only thing I'm seeing is in m. 93 the first couple of octaves seem to be flipped up for some reason. Once that's resolved, let's get this one in ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle