[DELETED] [PS1] Final Fantasy VIII - "The Man with the Machine Gun" by Renaud Bergeron

Started by Zeta, May 12, 2019, 01:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy VIII
Console: PlayStation
Title: The Man with the Machine Gun
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Renaud Bergeron

Khunjund

Please stop making lists using hyphens.

mastersuperfan

Ooh I love this track
  • Tempo should be 140 BPM instead of 132.
  • If you're going to keep the pedal markings hidden, I think that adding a "con pedale" as an indication to the player would be helpful. You could say that it's up to the pianist's interpretation, but I feel that the pedal is a vital component of making this sheet sound full, and that should be made clear to the player.
  • The bassline in the first two measures sounds to me like there's a dotted eighth-sixteenth rhythm on beat 2 instead of a quarter note (both measures).
  • Maybe some dynamic markings above the upper staff to indicate when the RH is playing the melody vs. playing the quieter background chords (e.g. m12–14)?
  • The dyads on beat 4 in RH m12, 14, 20, and 22 start on beat 3 instead in the original track. Was this an intentional change?
  • In both m33 and m37, Layer 2 in the RH also plays a quarter note on beat 2 (so the Layer 2 rhythm goes quarter-quarter-half instead of half-half).
  • In m39 onwards, beat 4 in the LH sounds to me like a sixteenth-dotted eighth rhythm instead of just a quarter note. Also, the LH rhythm sounds to me like it stays the same from m39–48 (to the end of the loop) so I'm not quite sure I see why it changes in the sheet.
  • Also, an 8va/8vb under the LH in m39–46 may be an idea to consider.

Nice sheet! I'm surprised how well this works on piano with the pedal... definitely looking forward to seeing this one accepted.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Khunjund

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 07:44:19 PM

Changed it to 138, for people who use still use mechanical metronomes.

• If you're going to keep the pedal markings hidden, I think that adding a "con pedale" as an indication to the player would be helpful. You could say that it's up to the pianist's interpretation, but I feel that the pedal is a vital component of making this sheet sound full, and that should be made clear to the player.

I only added the pedal markings for the sake of the MIDI playback; I fully expect each interpret to figure out the pedal usage which they find best, and this without needing a con pedale indication.

• The bassline in the first two measures sounds to me like there's a dotted eighth-sixteenth rhythm on beat 2 instead of a quarter note (both measures).

Added.

• Maybe some dynamic markings above the upper staff to indicate when the RH is playing the melody vs. playing the quieter background chords (e.g. m12–14)?

THere isn't really a dynamic change, so I slurred the melodic sections to differentiate them from the harmonic ones.

• The dyads on beat 4 in RH m12, 14, 20, and 22 start on beat 3 instead in the original track. Was this an intentional change?

I guess that was a lapse of inattention. Fixed.

• In both m33 and m37, Layer 2 in the RH also plays a quarter note on beat 2 (so the Layer 2 rhythm goes quarter-quarter-half instead of half-half).

I'll chalk that one up to inattention as well.

• In m39 onwards, beat 4 in the LH sounds to me like a sixteenth-dotted eighth rhythm instead of just a quarter note. Also, the LH rhythm sounds to me like it stays the same from m39–48 (to the end of the loop) so I'm not quite sure I see why it changes in the sheet.

I don't hear beat four that way, and while I did change beat one to be uniform rythmically across this section, I do hear differences in beat two.

• Also, an 8va/8vb under the LH in m39–46 may be an idea to consider.

I despised 8va lines and only consider using them starting at four ledger lines, and the areas in which there are four ledger lines are brief enough that I don't consider this necessary.
Please stop making lists using hyphens.

Latios212

Great song and great sheet. Just a couple of things.
  • I think the first half notes in m. 31 and 35 should be thirds below the top melody.
  • In measures 39-46 I don't think the bass moves on beat 2.75 (I'm hearing those places striking the same pitch at the previous note).

Quote from: D3ath3657 on June 17, 2019, 02:59:27 PMChanged it to 138, for people who use still use mechanical metronomes.
I don't really understand the motivation for this, given that writing the exact tempo (within reason of course) will be usable and accurate on a digital metronome, and it's easy enough to round off to the nearest marking on a traditional one.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 07:44:19 PMAlso, the LH rhythm sounds to me like it stays the same from m39–48 (to the end of the loop) so I'm not quite sure I see why it changes in the sheet.
Quote from: D3ath3657 on June 17, 2019, 02:59:27 PMI don't hear beat four that way, and while I did change beat one to be uniform rythmically across this section, I do hear differences in beat two.
I do hear beat 4 that way, though stylistically I think it's fine to keep as a whole beat if you want to. But I also agree with MSF on the rhythmic uniformity here (more specifically that the strike on beat 2.25 seems to be present everywhere in the original).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Static

Archiving due to inactivity. Submit this again when you have more time, it's a great arrangement.