A Couple of Quick Questions

Started by Bobbythekid21, February 05, 2019, 05:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbythekid21

Ok, so I'm fairly new to the NSM forums/ arranging music in general, and I have a couple of questions:

I want to start helping arrange old and new songs that I don't see here on NSM, so all I have to do is arrange it with proper formatting and stuff and submit it in the "submissions" forum? (it just sounds too simple to be true)

Also, it seems that I have to use a program called Finale to do so, is this correct? I can't seem to find any guidelines for creating sheet music other than the "Formatting Guidelines" post under "Submissions". And if so, is Finale free?

Also, (this is a serious question, it probably seems stupid though) how is this website even legal? (or is it?) I honestly don't know anything about copyright laws but this just doesn't seem right to me. (Feel free to call me stupid on this one)

Thanks a bunch to whoever can answer these questions.
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

Dudeman

Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 05, 2019, 05:04:09 PMI want to start helping arrange old and new songs that I don't see here on NSM, so all I have to do is arrange it with proper formatting and stuff and submit it in the "submissions" forum? (it just sounds too simple to be true)
That's really all there is to it! Sounds like you already found the Formatting Guidelines, so make sure you follow those while trying to get your sheet as accurate as possible. If you need any assistance or critiques, you can make your own thread in the Piano Arrangements board to post your arrangements as you complete them, and the Discord server is always open if you'd like some real-time feedback.
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 05, 2019, 05:04:09 PMAlso, it seems that I have to use a program called Finale to do so, is this correct? I can't seem to find any guidelines for creating sheet music other than the "Formatting Guidelines" post under "Submissions". And if so, is Finale free?
You're required to submit a Finale file for your submission (a .mus file), along with a PDF and a MIDI file, and while there is a free version of Finale called Finale Notepad, it's not very versatile. Fortunately, we have plenty of resources to help people using MuseScore or Sibelius or what have you convert their native engraving files into Finale files. Finale is required for submission, but it's not the only arranging tool out there, and you're free to use whatever software you find most accessible, though the ease of conversion may vary depending on what you choose.
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 05, 2019, 05:04:09 PMAlso, (this is a serious question, it probably seems stupid though) how is this website even legal? (or is it?) I honestly don't know anything about copyright laws but this just doesn't seem right to me. (Feel free to call me stupid on this one)
Honestly we're kind of in a gray area, but what we're doing technically falls under fair use as a derivative work. We've discussed this as staff several times, but so far things have been fine.

Welcome aboard! We look forward to seeing what you arrange!
Quote from: braixen1264 on December 03, 2015, 03:52:29 PMDudeman's facial hair is number 1 in my book

Bobbythekid21

Thank you so much.
I have used a lot of musescore so I'm hoping Finale is pretty similar. I have already made a couple of arrangements for songs that are already on here. I'll have to check but I've pretty sure there are no sheets for Bendy and the Ink Machine, I've already arranged Build Our Machine, I might submit that one. I was hoping to start by making an arrangement of Guardia Millennial Fair (Chrono Trigger) since you guys don't have that one. Which is sad honestly.
Spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

Ayyyy more Chrono Trigger is always welcome. I'd love to see what you make, as well as give you feedback on it.

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 06, 2019, 04:41:37 AMAyyyy more Chrono Trigger is always welcome. I'd love to see what you make, as well as give you feedback on it.
Thanks. I actually started playing the game for the first time recently. I'm kinda stuck in in the caves in 650,000,000 B.C.
I also just realized you don't have Guardia Castle either.
Spoiler
[close]