Jenna Grace's Arrangement - Cooking Mama Menu Theme!

Started by Jenna Grace, February 26, 2019, 05:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenna Grace

Hello! I've arranged some sheet music for my favorite Nintendo DS game, Cooking Mama, and I'd like someone to peek a look at it to tell me what I could improve on and how it is in general. Groovy!

Cooking Mama Menu Theme arranged by me :0 https://drive.google.com/file/d/15OEmzRmWqPd0sdrX0LC1MMpBVMvC1d3i/view?usp=sharing

Bobbythekid21

Never heard this song before but I googled it and I like it. Do you have a midi of it so we can hear it?

Also just FYI you can clean up the formatting of the URL like this:
[ url=https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=10572.0 ]My Piano Arrangments[ /url ]
Just remove the spaces and it'll look like this:
My Piano Arrangments
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

mikey

Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 26, 2019, 06:09:19 PMNever heard this song before but I googled it and I like it. Do you have a midi of it so we can hear it?

Also just FYI you can clean up the formatting of the URL like this:
[ url=https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=10572.0 ]My Piano Arrangments[ /url ]
Just remove the spaces and it'll look like this:
My Piano Arrangments
if you want to hear how it sounds just play it 4Head
unmotivated

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: mikey on February 26, 2019, 06:40:38 PMif you want to hear how it sounds just play it 4Head
I suck at actually playing multiple notes at once on piano, I just arrange. Also, learning a piece takes too long, it would be quicker (for me) to copy it note by note into musescore than to play it. I guess I could play each different part on my saxophone to hear how it sounds... But I typically only play my saxophone at the house when I'm home alone because my parents say it's "too loud". I've tried telling them that I can just play softer if they want but you know how parents are.
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

Greg

Quote from: mikey on February 26, 2019, 06:40:38 PMif you want to hear how it sounds just play it 4Head

not gonna lie this killed me

As for the actual arrangement, it seems pretty solid in general! Here's some things I noticed:
  • For things like the quarter note in the RH of m.2, you should split it into tied eighths to avoid the note crossing over a beat. (Latios has a guide that goes over this stuff.)
  • You've got a nice line moving downwards in the LH of m.13, I think it would make more sense to maintain that into m.14 instead of jumping up a 7th.
  • Throughout the arrangement, I hear the first eighth note in each beat as being split in two. To be clear, this is what I hear for the RH of measure 7:
    Spoiler
    [close]
    Pretty much the same thing throughout the rest of the piece.

Latios212

Wow, good work, this looks super solid overall :P Have you arranged before?

Don't have the time to look super closely right now, but one thing I'll comment on is the accidentals. There are some places where you should spell notes differently due to their function as a neighboring chromatic tone. For example in measure 6, the first Eb should be spelled as D# to lead into the E, and the Bb should be spelled as A# since it leads into the B.

Quote from: Greg on February 26, 2019, 07:59:15 PM
  • Throughout the arrangement, I hear the first eighth note in each beat as being split in two. To be clear, this is what I hear for the RH of measure 7:
    Spoiler
    [close]
Hmm... I definitely hear those as less important echoed notes in the original that I feel shouldn't be included to detract from the main melody.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jenna Grace

Hi! And thank you for taking some time to look at my music.

As for your replies:

Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 26, 2019, 06:09:19 PMNever heard this song before but I googled it and I like it. Do you have a midi of it so we can hear it?

Cool! Thanks! I don't know how to make an MIDI, so I'm going to link its page in Musescore (i used MS while I was working on it see how it looked. It's been on there for months, sorry.) Cooking Mama Menu Theme

Quote from: Latios212 on February 27, 2019, 04:42:02 PMWow, good work, this looks super solid overall :P Have you arranged before.

Don't have the time to look super closely right now, but one thing I'll comment on is the accidentals. There are some places where you should spell notes differently due to their function as a neighboring chromatic tone.

No, actually. This is my first honest arrangement of something, and I'm glad it turned out so well. As for the accidentals, I understand and I'll fix it :).

Quote from: Greg on February 26, 2019, 07:59:15 PMnot gonna lie this killed me

As for the actual arrangement, it seems pretty solid in general! Here's some things I noticed:
  • For things like the quarter note in the RH of m.2, you should split it into tied eighths to avoid the note crossing over a beat. (Latios has a guide that goes over this stuff.)
  • You've got a nice line moving downwards in the LH of m.13, I think it would make more sense to maintain that into m.14 instead of jumping up a 7th.
    Spoiler
    [close]

The first two bullets I get, but the last one is kind of throwing me for a loop. This may just be me being a bonehead, but I'm confused as to what you mean. In the diagram, you have a few notes but I'm dense and don't know what you're referring to. If you could elaborate that'd be fantastic, thank you. Sorry for being clueless :/.

Greg

Basically, just imagine replacing the upper staff in m.7 in your arrangement with what I notated in the picture and apply the same pattern of doubling notes throughout the piece. Tbh I'm not sure if this clarifies it much, but feel free to PM me if you've got more questions.

(Although Lat has a different opinion about including those, so it's up to you, really. Personally I'd include them in the first half of the piece only.)

Jenna Grace

I put that in, and it felt as if it were interrupting the melody line a bit too much, and making it a bit jumpy. But listening to the original song I think you were hearing the echo effect the track has layered on it and interpreting as more notes, which isn't wrong, it's just the result of a keen ear. Thank you for the suggestion, though!  ;D