Guardia Millenial Fair: All the voices or playability?

Started by Bobbythekid21, February 10, 2019, 01:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbythekid21

So I am working on an arrangement of Guardia Millenial Fair (Chrono Trigger) and I have come across a dilemma. I'm not sure whether to make the song playable or omit one of the voices entirely. From 00:16 to 00:45 there is another voice that is on a totally different octave than the main melody.
I know I can't actually make the song unplayable but I'm not sure how to make it playable without taking away from the song.
Please help.
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

Libera

When making piano arrangements, unless the piece is very simple, you will have to leave bits out or simplify them so that they fit onto the piano.  This can mean moving the octaves of voices around, changing the voicings of chords or just straight up leaving entire parts out.  The more complex a piece is, the more that you'll have to do this; the arrangers aim is to do this in a way that keeps the piece sounding like the original and allows it to 'feel good' on the piano.

If you're looking for inspiration on how to do that, check out some of the (good) arrangements on site and see what is done in those.  (If you want to make sure that they're 'good' arrangements, choose stuff that's been uploaded to the site in the past few years.)

I hope that helps!

Bobbythekid21

That helps a little.

I tried moving the octaves around but it made the notes so close together that they were possible to play but it made the song sound pretty bad so I know I can't do that.

What do you mean by changing the voicing of the chords?

I'm pretty sure that I'm just gonna have to leave that part out, I guess I just needed to hear from someone else that that was alright.

Thanks.
Spoiler
[close]

Latios212

It really helps to provide the files you're working on to demonstrate what you mean - it's very difficult for someone to help when speaking in such broad terms.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Latios212 on February 12, 2019, 02:17:29 AMIt really helps to provide the files you're working on to demonstrate what you mean - it's very difficult for someone to help when speaking in such broad terms.
sorry about that, here is a picture of the part I am talking about:

In the 3rd measure shown (measure 9). I'm almost positive that it isn't playable as it is.
Should I just get rid of the part that repeats from the 1st and 2nd measures shown (measures 7 and 8) or is there a way I can make this playable?
Spoiler
[close]

Maelstrom

Yeah, I recommend killing the part that repeats in the 3rd measure. There's some funky stuff you could do, but you'd need to invert stuff and it probably wouldn't sound great. Focus on getting a working arrangement and we can deal with adding in stuff like that later.

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Maelstrom on February 13, 2019, 10:45:51 AMYeah, I recommend killing the part that repeats in the 3rd measure. There's some funky stuff you could do, but you'd need to invert stuff and it probably wouldn't sound great. Focus on getting a working arrangement and we can deal with adding in stuff like that later.
Ok, thanks.
Spoiler
[close]