News:

Want to request some new sheets? Head on over here first!

Main Menu

Text Based Adventure.

Started by Bobbythekid21, February 11, 2019, 07:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobbythekid21

So I have never, ever done this before but I have seen other people do it lots of times and I really wanted to try this out myself.

Read the rules below and do as they say.

Rules
Creating a Character
If you would like to play, create a "character profile" and post it below.

Pick a video game character, anybody will work unless it's a godlike character. (basically, you can't start out OP [over powered, not original poster]) Try to pick somebody that most everybody knows. (If you don't know who to pick, pick from smash bros.) Also, you cannot pick someone who is a part of the plot.

Every player starts out with 3 skills that they can advance with skill points (SP) earned from leveling up. They are:
HP, the character's health (starts: 100 | 1 SP = +10 HP)
Damage, how much the player hits for with each attack (starts: 30 Damage | 1 SP = +5 Damage)
And
Speed, determines who goes first in an enemy encounter (Starts: 5 speed | 1 SP = +.5 speed | Max: 10)

You start with 3 SP and MUST apply them in your original character profile. You can spread them out however you wish.

You can also make up a "One Use Ability" it can be fairly OP but not as OP as something like PK fire in Mother (which kills all current opponents.)
You can also make up a "Multi-use Ability". It can be used once per enemy per battle. It can be a heal, an AOE, a ranged attack or whatever you want.

No two characters can have the same ability(s).
Feel free to suggest character specific stuff if you'd like.
It takes 100 to level up a character.
[close]

Plot
Since this is my first time doing something like this I'm gonna do something kinda generic...

Princess Peach has been captured by Bowser. He has taken her to his castle but Mario is too busy to save her this time. He offers to pay 1000 coins to whoever can rescue the princess. (that's 10 extra lives)
All the players happen to meet on the road and all have the same goal, to recapture the princess. They all agree to split the reward evenly.
[close]

Mechanics (Enemies, Actions, etc.)
Enemies
Enemies will randomly appear as you travel and in areas that you travel through. Generic enemies such as Goombas and Koopa Troopas will appear as you travel and engage in a short battle.
[close]
Actions

Battle Actions:
Attack, Hit an enemy and damage it.
Block, reduce enemy attacks by half.
Abilities (multi and single use), case-by-case basis.

Out of battle actions:
Check, check things in the general area.
Use item, use items you find in the different areas.
And many more generic actions such as giving items to other players, taking items from a box/chest etc.

Feel free to ask for an "auto-action". For example "automatically block if an enemy is encountered" or "If I search a chest automatically take the contents", etc.
This way we can progress through the story faster by minimizing the number of posts and allowing actions while offline.
[close]
Feel free to suggest any additional mechanics that might make this more fun or easier to play.
[close]

General Rules
The game will start once we have " enough" players. Somewhere between 3 and 8 players probably. I'll explain the plot a bit more once we start and the mechanics as we go along.

I will be god over this realm and my word is final. I will cause inactive players to die of dysentery or something else fun like that.

Anything not in quotation marks is either an action or an out of character remark. Try to stay in character as much as possible.

Above all have fun and don't forget to tell me if I messed something up or missed something entirely.
[close]
[close]

Please bear with me and feel free to offer any suggestions as you probably know better than I do (since I've never done this before.)
333,331 is a prime number.
Spoiler
Quote from: Bobbythekid21 on February 24, 2019, 01:03:24 PM
Well, I'll just stick around for now and be helpful.
I'm gonna hold myself to it by constantly reminding myself of it.
[close]

Bobbythekid21

I want to try to play and still be fair since I am controlling the game. So here is my character:

Name: Ness
HP: 110 (lvl 2)
Damage: 35 (lvl 2)
Speed: 5.5 (lvl 2)

Single Use Ability:
     PK Thunder
Deal 300 damage to an opponent. Has a 50% hit chance, you can use it again if you miss.

Multi-Use Ability:
     Smaaaash
Make a critical hit. No exceptions.
Spoiler
[close]

Libera

I used to play these sorts of games a lot when I was younger and they could be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, I just don't really have the time to take part in something like this nowadays, but I hope you find some people to play!  I know that there are a bunch of people around on the forums and discord who do RP stuff so maybe some of them might like to join in, but I wouldn't want to sign anyone up to the something in their stead.

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Libera on February 14, 2019, 12:31:19 PMI used to play these sorts of games a lot when I was younger and they could be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately, I just don't really have the time to take part in something like this nowadays, but I hope you find some people to play!  I know that there are a bunch of people around on the forums and discord who do RP stuff so maybe some of them might like to join in, but I wouldn't want to sign anyone up to the something in their stead.
I hope I can get some people too, I've never played one of these before and I'm really excited to try this out. I thought of doing this on discord but I don't think there is an appropriate channel. (Also, thanks. I've been itching to bump this, but I'm trying to stick to the forum rules.)
Spoiler
[close]

Bobbythekid21

Hmmm. It seems like nobody's interested in this, I'm surprised. From what I've seen, this type of stuff goes over really well in video game related forums...
Spoiler
[close]

Splatoon Inkling

Name: Mario
HP: 120 (lvl 5)
Damage: 8 (lvl 5)
Speed: 10 (lvl 5)

Single Use Ability:
     Fireball
Deal 500 damage to an opponent. Has a 25% hit chance, you can use it again if you miss.

Multi-Use Ability:
     Smash
Make a critical hit.
Is this how you do it?

Bobbythekid21

Quote from: Splatoon Inkling on February 23, 2019, 05:00:25 PMIs this how you do it?
Pretty much yeah, but Mario is part of the story so you can't play as him (I know I mentioned this in the rules maybe Luigi?) And I have no Idea what you tried to do with your skill points though allow me to try to explain it better:
So your stats start out like this:
HP:100 (lvl 1)
Damage:30 (lvl 1)
Speed:5 (lvl 1)

So it seems that you took away a majority of your damage used 2 SP on your health and 10 on your speed when you only have 3 SP to start with... You can't redistribute Skill Points like that.
So what's going on is this. You start out with 3 SP (skill points) and you get to distribute them how you would like by adding them to your skills according to the rules:
QuoteHP, the character's health (starts: 100 | 1 SP = +10 HP)
Damage, how much the player hits for with each attack (starts: 30 Damage | 1 SP = +5 Damage)
And
Speed, determines who goes first in an enemy encounter (Starts: 5 speed | 1 SP = +.5 speed | Max: 10)
So adding one skill point to your health changes your health from "HP:100 (lvl 1)" to "HP:110 (lvl 2)" now you have 2 SP left and can change your HP again or a different skill.
I hope this makes more sense.

So based on how you tried to distribute them I would suggest doing it like this:
HP:110 (lvl 2)
Damage:30 (lvl 1)
Speed:6 (lvl 3)
Spoiler
[close]

A# Minor

IK I'm late because I'm new here, but if you see this, I'd like to play too. Sure sounds like fun. ...I hope I did this correctly.

Edit: VIEW SECOND REPLY, I MESSED UP HERE.
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

Mr_Chicken

Character Profile:
Name: Korok #900
HP: 100 (lvl 1)
Damage: 40 (lvl 3)
Speed: 10 (lvl 2)

One Use Ability:
      Hestu's Gift
Opponent Realizes all their hard work is meaningless. They lose 4 turns.

Multi-Use Ability
     You'll never hit the balloon
Opponent's attacks have a 50% chance of missing for the next 4 turns.
Finally Totk is out and we can put the koroks behind us. What? 900 more?!? Thanks Nintendo.

Mr_Chicken

Made this for the memes, folks I don't have a lot of time lol.
Finally Totk is out and we can put the koroks behind us. What? 900 more?!? Thanks Nintendo.

A# Minor

Um...maybe one of us should make a new thread and take it over ourselves? The creator hasn't been active in 2 years...

EDIT: Oh shoot, I just realized I'm supposed to use a VG character. OK, here we go again.

Name: Rosalina
HP: 110 (lvl 2)
Damage: 40 (lvl 3)
Speed: 5 (lvl 1)

Single Use Ability:
     Star Spin
Makes an opponent dizzy/unconscious, allowing someone else to defeat them. Rosalina has to wait 2 seconds before using another Star Spin.

Multi-Use Ability:
     Cosmic blast
Makes a critical hit by creating a cosmic blast with her wand. It should only be used in extreme cases—if someone is able to refract it (on purpose or by accident), it'll make a black hole and everyone dies.
hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

I unintentionally set an avatar that matches my custom title (Termina Tango) and now I don't want to post

The Musical Poet

this comment is here to remind me later to look more into this
I like making terrible titles for my schoolwork, but I never follow through.

A# Minor

hey! listen!! ⬆️

haha get drowned
[close]

The Musical Poet

I like making terrible titles for my schoolwork, but I never follow through.