Code_Name_Geek's Arrangements (NEW: Zoo Tycoon)

Started by Code_Name_Geek, March 11, 2019, 08:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Code_Name_Geek

Harvest Moon 64 - Title Screen
[MUSX] [MUS] [PDF] [MIDI]

And this marks the milestone of my 20th arrangement here on NinSheetMusic! With it, I've returned to the game that got me started arranging with a longer and more challenging sheet that I could only dream of attempting before starting this arranging journey almost a year ago.

Whenever I hear this track, I can so clearly picture the iconic title screen of this game with the awkwardly worded "Push the Start" and the typo in the publisher's name. It's actually a pretty neat composition, with the repeating bass vamp and the flute solo that sounds like it could be improvised. The translation to piano was a little awkward for this one, as some parts of it were quite dense, but I hope it came out alright in the end. I think something's off with the grace notes formatting-wise but I'm not really sure how to fix them, so please let me know if you have any suggestions!

Code_Name_Geek

Harvest Moon DS - Spring

It's not looking like spring anytime soon here, but I thought I'd tackle this one up anyways. This arrangement was started very early in my arranging days, but I only got around to finishing it now. It's pretty simple, with the main flute melody over pizzicato strings, but I like the way that other little melodies come in to fill the spaces at the end of the main melody's phrases. Hope you enjoy!

Code_Name_Geek

Edit: Since I accidentally made this post while browsing on mobile, I thought I'd take the opportunity to say that I have updated the files for my two latest arrangements (Harvest Moon 64 - Title Screen and Harvest Moon DS - Spring) with some quick note fixes and formatting edits. Let me know if anything else in those two arrangements need fixing!

Code_Name_Geek

Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town - Title Theme

REMAKE HYPE!

It's been a little while since I've done anything new. This one wasn't too difficult to transcribe, but it was a little tricky to adapt to piano. I had to make some compromises with the counter-melody especially, and there's some annoying voice crossing that makes some parts difficult to read (any suggestions?).

Latios212

Nice! This doesn't really help with the small intervals that are created between layers, but when there are triplets and swung eighths being played together, the spacing for the swung eighths should be adjusted so that it's clear the swung eighth coincides with the third triplet (not floating in the middle).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on March 29, 2020, 01:39:46 PMNice! This doesn't really help with the small intervals that are created between layers, but when there are triplets and swung eighths being played together, the spacing for the swung eighths should be adjusted so that it's clear the swung eighth coincides with the third triplet (not floating in the middle).
Oops I saw this earlier but forgot to reply. I've never heard of that before, and I'm pretty sure I've seen published arrangements that don't do that; however, it makes a lot of sense since it would make it more clear where the swung eighth notes line up. How does one do this in Finale? I have another sheet that would probably benefit from this as well...

Thanks for taking a look! :)

Latios212

Take it with a grain of salt - that's just what makes the most sense to me ^^ You can change the horizontal positions of notes under Special Tools > Note Position Tool (the first one).
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on April 05, 2020, 08:16:08 AMTake it with a grain of salt - that's just what makes the most sense to me ^^ You can change the horizontal positions of notes under Special Tools > Note Position Tool (the first one).
I did some digging and still couldn't find any examples of this, so I asked some more knowledgeable people than I (a jazz pianist and a jazz drummer) and neither of them had seen notation like that in swing before. It'd probably be pretty clear even if it's not standard practice, though, so I wouldn't say it's necessarily wrong to write it like that. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that swing feel isn't strictly a triplet subdivision and can change depending on context (tempo, style, time period)? That's just me hypothesizing though, I really have no idea lol. Anyways I'm always open to hearing other opinions so thanks for pointing that out regardless!

Code_Name_Geek

Harvest Moon 64 - Harvest Goddess Spring

I decided to finish an old attempt at one of my favourite tracks in the Harvest Moon 64 soundtrack! This one plays near the Harvest Goddess's spring hidden in the forest and I used to go there when I was a kid just to listen to it. It turned out to be a little tricky to adapt to piano, and I'm not totally happy with it yet, but this is what I have. As always, suggestions on how to improve it are welcome!

(Also yikes, it's been over a month since I posted my last arrangement! I'm going to try to spend more time arranging than I have been.)

Code_Name_Geek

Harvest Moon 64 - Name Entry

I've been meaning to do this track for a while, and decided it would be a fairly easy one to tackle today. This is the theme that plays on the name entry screen for new animals, as well as at the very beginning of the game when you name yourself and your farm. It's also an arrangement of the Spring theme from the same game (aka my first-ever arrangement), which I think is neat because it brings to mind the "new beginnings" vibe that's usually associated with spring.

Code_Name_Geek

Persona 5 - Our Beginning

I finished this game for the first time a few weeks ago (loved it by the way), and haven't stopped listening to the OST since. The opening fanfare of this track in particular grabbed my attention as a trumpet player. It was a bit of a challenge to arrange, but it actually went a lot smoother than I expected. That said, there's probably some improvements that could be made. (Note: this track doesn't loop in-game, since it's from a cutscene; instead there's a repeat and fade-out on the last 4 bars.)

Code_Name_Geek

Not quite new, but these are the two replacements I did for the replacement project.

Harvest Moon 64 - Moon Mountain

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - Gustafa's Yurt

Code_Name_Geek

Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town - Autumn (Alternate)

This is one of the new tracks that was composed for the Friends of Mineral Town remake, and plays on weekends and festival days as an alternative to the original fall theme. Interestingly enough, the localization team went with "Autumn" this time around instead of the usual "Fall" for the in-game calendar, so I've titled this track accordingly.

Code_Name_Geek

Persona 5 - Layer Cake

More Persona 5! This is the theme for one of the item shops in the game. The organ solo from m. 25-40 was a pain to write out, and is probably also a pain to play so I included an optional ad lib in case someone would rather improvise their own solo (I know I would). There's also quite possibly some transcription mistakes in that solo, so let me know if anyone catches any!

Code_Name_Geek

Persona 5 - Welcome Home, Master!
(Collaboration with Samusthedude)

Here's a nice collab arrangement from Persona 5! I transcribed the melody and Samusthedude did the bassline, then we went from there.

...Sadly, the English title is lacking the unicode heart from the Japanese title.