News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[DELETED] [MUL] Celeste - "First Steps (Piano Only)" by PlayfulPiano

Started by Zeta, February 07, 2019, 04:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Celeste
Console: Multiplatform
Title: First Steps (Piano Only)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: PlayfulPiano

PlayfulPiano

Not sure if this can be considered a valid submission technically. It is part of the official Misc. OST, and is played within some parts of the game, but it's part of another theme from the game technically.

Wanted to get some smaller / simpler arrangements in.

Libera

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on February 07, 2019, 04:45:36 AMNot sure if this can be considered a valid submission technically. It is part of the official Misc. OST, and is played within some parts of the game, but it's part of another theme from the game technically.

If it plays during the game, I don't see how it couldn't be a valid submission.  Anyway, onto feedback.  I guess I've already checked notes for this, so this will just be about formatting.

-Add a double barline at the key change in bar 25 and 53.
-The first and second time repeat markings are inside the notes in bars 24-25.  Move everything on that page down a bit so you can space those markings properly, since you've got some white at the bottom as well.
-Bring everything on the first page up a bit so that you bring the copyright back to 0 vertical alignment.
-Did you copy the dynamics from your other arrangement?  They don't match up so well here, so I'd have another listen and try to fit more appropriate dynamics in throughout.
-The 8va in the bottom system of page 4 could be a bit lower.
-I think the first note in bar 46 could do with an accent; it's really loud compared to the rest of the notes there.
-There's no reason for the lower staff to start in treble clef; it could just be in bass from the beginning.

Easy to check since I've already been through this once! :P

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Libera on February 07, 2019, 11:16:48 AMIf it plays during the game, I don't see how it couldn't be a valid submission.  Anyway, onto feedback.  I guess I've already checked notes for this, so this will just be about formatting.

-Add a double barline at the key change in bar 25 and 53.
-The first and second time repeat markings are inside the notes in bars 24-25.  Move everything on that page down a bit so you can space those markings properly, since you've got some white at the bottom as well.
-Bring everything on the first page up a bit so that you bring the copyright back to 0 vertical alignment.
-Did you copy the dynamics from your other arrangement?  They don't match up so well here, so I'd have another listen and try to fit more appropriate dynamics in throughout.
-The 8va in the bottom system of page 4 could be a bit lower.
-I think the first note in bar 46 could do with an accent; it's really loud compared to the rest of the notes there.
-There's no reason for the lower staff to start in treble clef; it could just be in bass from the beginning.

Easy to check since I've already been through this once! :P
I was able to do the barlines, repeat changes, 8va fix, clef fix, and the accent addition. The dynamics are a bit different due to how it focuses on different parts of the song.

Page stuff though I didn't change because it was giving me a bit of an issue to work right. Maybe you could try tinkering with it via the updated submission?

Libera

I'll sort out the spacing at the end, since once I touch the file you won't be able to edit it anymore.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Libera on February 08, 2019, 01:49:56 PMI'll sort out the spacing at the end, since once I touch the file you won't be able to edit it anymore.
Alright, so is there any other issues?

Libera

Quote from: PlayfulPiano on February 07, 2019, 08:47:16 PMThe dynamics are a bit different due to how it focuses on different parts of the song.

Ok, but at the moment the dynamics don't seem to reflect the audio really at all.  I'm not hearing any noticeable difference between bars 1-2 and 3-4, it certainly doesn't go to forte at bar 5 etc.  They just don't make any sense to me at the moment, which I why I assumed they were a holdover from the old sheet.  Definitely give these another look.

Other than that:
-Bar 25's left hand needs to look like bar 24's.  You'll need to manually input the ties as slurs and then fit them to make them look correct.
-The grace notes in bar 55 and 59 would be more standard as semiquavers rather than quavers.
-The As in the right hand of bars 68-69 should be Gs (It's not the same as bars 62-63.)

Brassman388

Yeah, I hear a difference in the intro, but it's only the one note. Maybe an accent or something similar?

Also, when the baseline comes in there's a huge difference in dynamics in the top octave of the bass line. I almost didn't hear it the first time until it replayed again but louder.

There's some super subtle stuff going on in regards with dynamics. I would take the time to notate them and use as much detail as possible.

Libera

Latios212

Archiving this for inactivity; feel free to resubmit at a later time with fixes.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle