The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Novel Adaption

Started by pixarfan2003, October 29, 2018, 01:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixarfan2003

Hello, everyone. I am making a novel adaption of the game The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker. Please read the prologue and let me know your thoughts!

Prologue

BOOM! CRASH!

The storm ravaged the island and its surrounding seas. The lightning sent flashes of bright white light across the landscape. As the rain poured down on the shores, the sand began to slide, causing the kayaks to blow out to sea, never to be seen again. The wind whipped and shook the trees, causing the coconuts growing on them to plunge toward the earth and crack open, the harvest wasted.

Safe inside the hut, an old lady and her two grandchildren sat by the fire keeping warm. The boy was about 6, with tufts of blond hair and a button nose. He was the silent type, not know for speaking often. His two-year-old sister, also blonde, yelped and leapt into his arms as the thunder shook the windows, making the pots on the shelves fall and shatter into a million pieces.
Although he didn't want to admit it, the boy was a little frightened of the storm as well. He had never seen anything like it; and, seeing the destruction outside, wished the torrents would cease. His sister buried her face in his chest and began to cry.

"Make wain stop, gwamma!" she said between sobs.

"Hush, hush, child," the grandmother said soothingly, taking the fearful child from the boy's arms and setting her down in her own lap. "It will stop soon, I promise."

"I want stowwy," said the girl. The grandmother nodded her agreement, and began her tale.

"There once was a kingdom of peace and harmony. It was protected by a sacred power created by the goddesses Farore, Nayru, and Din.

"But one day, a man of great strength and evil wanted to take the power for himself.; to rule the kingdom in his own way. Frightened but courageous, the citizens tried to fight back, but to no avail. When all hope seemed lost, as they prepared for imminent destruction..."

The boy sat up taller. He'd hard this legend many times before. And yet, every time his grandmother never failed to excite him with her grand storytelling.

The old woman continued, "A young boy, garbed in the green of the fields, wielding the blade of evil's bane, appeared as if from nowhere.

"With the power of Farore's courage to aid him, the hero sealed away the monster who sought for the conquering of the kingdom. The people were amazed and eternally grateful to the young man for his bravery and cunning. This boy became known as the Hero of Time.

"The kingdom flourished and prospered for many years under the king's rule. The people had wanted the Hero to be their king, but he had refused to rule, wanting only to be the kingdom's protector. One day, he set off to find a new purpose, promising he would return when the time was right.

"After many years in this state of happiness, a fell wind began to blow across the kingdom. The seal began to weaken and the monstrosity that had once nearly annihilated the kingdom years began began to break free. The people did not fear, but waited for their savior to appear and vanquish evil.

"But the hero did not appear.

"The people could do nothing but appeal to the gods as their kingdom fell apart, piece by piece.

"What became of that kingdom? None remain who know.

"Today, we garb young boys in the green of fields when they come of age, just as the Hero of Time once did. We only wish for boys to know courage as they make the transition to manhood."

The young girl, Aryll, began to calm as the storm subsided.

"Someday, you, too, will wear the outfit as a man," the grandmother told her grandson. "And I can't wait to see it."

The boy imagined himself in those green clothes. He smiled.

"All right, children, time for bed," the woman said. "Up the stairs you go."

Link grinned as he walked up to his room. He couldn't wait, either.
PixarFan2003