News:

We seem to have trapped one of the mods within the forum's code... and we're not sure how to get him out. Oh well, he'll figure it out!

Main Menu

[GBA] Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge - "Breegull Beach" by Jack

Started by Zeta, April 12, 2019, 04:32:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Banjo-Kazooie
Game: Banjo-Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge
Console: Game Boy Advance
Title: Breegull Beach
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Jack

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Jack

Latios212

Hey I was just browsing around a bit and was going to take a quick look at this - but I noticed your other submission with feedback on it was deleted - https://www.ninsheetmusic.org/forum/index.php?topic=10678.0

Was that your doing?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jack

Yes, I decided I'd scrap that project for now, so I didn't want it cluttering up this page.  If that's no good, I apologize, but yes - I did it.

Latios212

That's fine if you would like to shelf it for now, but please give some indication of doing so in the future! Deleting it silently can leave our updaters rather confused and feeling rather unwanted, as the feedback they're giving is seemingly ignored.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Anyway, aside from the above, this looks pretty solid, though I do have a few important things to suggest before we get into the nitty-gritty of checking notes and cleaning up the formatting:

- You have sharps written in a lot of places. These should mostly be flats - take a look at the harmony to make sense of what you wrote. For example, the first half of measure 14 is an A flat chord. Consult step 4 of this guide for details and feel free to ask if you're confused.
- Think about your staccatos and note lengths a bit. In most places it's fine but I would advise against using staccato'd dotted eighth notes. Consider replacing instances of those with an eighth followed by a sixteenth rest.
- Notes within each beat should be beamed together - for instance the last two left hand notes in measure 3.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jack

Hi -
I know it's been a while, but I fixed the music up using your comments, but I've been using this time trying to clean up the formatting, but as much as I try, I can't "shmoosh" or "unshmoosh" the bars to make the score look nice in the Notepad Version of Finale.
I hope I haven't left anything out, and sorry for the delay.

- Jack

Latios212

No worries, I started fixing the beaming/formatting stuff up for you. Here's a WIP file.

However, I noticed that the video you posted looks to be an unofficial "remastered" version of the original song. We need to be using the original track as reference. Is this the right video?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jack

Jack

Latios212

Nope! Just hang tight until we take a closer look at the file I provided.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jack

Ooh - just found this out by accident and I'm glad I did. This tune and the whole soundtrack was composed by Jamie Hughes instead of Grant Kirkhope, which I listed on the score.
Will you still be using the files I provided? If so, I can change it easy enough.

Latios212

Okay, I've given it a thorough look. Here's an updated file with corrections and formatting. Things to note (measure numbers will refer to measures in this file) -
- Staccatos aren't necessary in the bass given the original version
- A couple measures were missing around m. 12. Also m. 27-29 currently. On the contrary, there was an extra measure at m. 36. It's also missing the loop.
- Bass was mostly good, but a few points were off a bit like the last note of m. 34.
- In places like m. 18, 34, 42, and 58 when you have the melody dip down a semitone and come back up, use sharps to convey the neighboring accidentals.
- Overall the right hand has the correct structure throughout but there are some incorrect harmonies or upper layer notes here and there. Take a close look at what it looks like now vs. what you had before and let me know if anything's a miss. Notably m. 7-10 and 43-47.
- Not sure why you had two layers in some places; those places do pretty much the same thing as everywhere else with the dyads moving together.
- m. 36-42 should be an octave up

Please feel free to use this file (I can replace the files in the submission if you want) and let me know if anything's off after you look over it.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Jack

I've taken a thorough look at your thorough look and it all looks good except I think measures 7 - 10 were right the first time. It might just be me, but my original harmonies sound right.
Otherwise, things look great - thanks!