News:

Rest in pepperoni, Mario Mario, 1981 - 2021
He will be missed by all, except for me! WARIO, NUMBER ONE!

Main Menu

[MUL] Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - "Divine Dragon" by Libera

Started by Zeta, April 28, 2019, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Console: Multiplatform
Title: Divine Dragon
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Libera

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Libera

I guess it's time for the first 2019 game for the site.  I've verified the loops in-game myself.  The OST version also has an ending so I added that in as well because why not?  (Note that Phase 2 begins at 2:13.)

I'm sorry.

Bloop

Nice work! Here's a few things I noticed when listening:

-It looks like you left out a bit of that flute-y melody in m. 3 and 4 (most notably the Eb to F on the 4th beat of m. 3 and 1st beat of m. 4), but I think that could easily be placed in the right hand.
-The grace notes on the second beat in m. 14 and 23 are An-G-F, not F-G-F
-I think the Bb in m. 22 comes in an 8th note earlier
-You forgot the slurs on the grace notes on the 1st and 3rd beat of m. 26
-You could maybe add the F in the second voice at the end in m. 84? (The Db the bar before would probably clash too much with the C you have written in your arrangement)

Libera

Thanks for the feedback!  I've updated the files (with some details below).

Quote from: Bloop on May 09, 2019, 08:09:24 AM-It looks like you left out a bit of that flute-y melody in m. 3 and 4 (most notably the Eb to F on the 4th beat of m. 3 and 1st beat of m. 4), but I think that could easily be placed in the right hand.

I have left it out intentionally, primarily so that flowing violin line can come out as cleanly as possible, and I'd like to keep the opening (particularly the first few bars) relatively simple if I can.

Quote from: Bloop on May 09, 2019, 08:09:24 AM-The grace notes on the second beat in m. 14 and 23 are An-G-F, not F-G-F

You are correct and I've made those changes, however I'm not 100% sure whether I'll keep them like that.  The Ans stand out massively on piano and I'm not sure I like the sound they give, especially with the pedal but I've kept them as is for now.

Quote from: Bloop on May 09, 2019, 08:09:24 AM-I think the Bb in m. 22 comes in an 8th note earlier
-You forgot the slurs on the grace notes on the 1st and 3rd beat of m. 26
-You could maybe add the F in the second voice at the end in m. 84? (The Db the bar before would probably clash too much with the C you have written in your arrangement)

All these should be fixed now (the slurs were actually just accidentally hidden before).

Once again, thanks for having a look.  It's always appreciated!

Latios212

Nice work on this one! Just a few small things for me to point out.

Part 1
- m. 18: the stem/beam on the first layer 2 note is awfully close to the LH. Would suggest distancing it a bit. Also the natural next to the A on beat 3 needs to be shifted left (Finale can't handle this automatically...)

Part 2
- m. 25: the rhythm of the melody doesn't sound right, sounds like the second note should start on beat 5/12 instead of 4/12
- m. 36: the left end of the cresc. could use a bit more space
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

I have fixed all of those things!  Thanks for checking it, I know it's quite the piece...

Latios212

Awesome, you're welcome~

Approved

Divine Dragon
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Really great arrangement! It's a tough song, but you've really made the sheet something really approachable, which is really cool I think. I feel like I would get all caught up in the details and make a sheet more busy than it really needs to be lol. Anyways, I have a few suggestions:

• From m53 to the end of Phase 2, there's a bunch of grace note stuff happening with the shakuhachi. If you intentionally didn't include that, that's fine, I'm just wondering.
  • For m82 of Phase 2, there's a noticeable break at the end of the bar that might be worth including. It's a pretty minor thing though.

That's all I got! Awesome sheet.

Libera

Quote from: Static on May 11, 2019, 05:12:00 PMReally great arrangement! It's a tough song, but you've really made the sheet something really approachable, which is really cool I think.

Thanks, I spent absolutely ages on this sheet so I'm glad I got something of good quality out at the end.

Quote from: Static on May 11, 2019, 05:12:00 PMFrom m53 to the end of Phase 2, there's a bunch of grace note stuff happening with the shakuhachi. If you intentionally didn't include that, that's fine, I'm just wondering. [

My thinking was in phase 1 where it was slower and the melody was a single line (or just a single harmony note beneath) it was important to get in all the flourishes and stuff.  But in phase 2 where often the right hand is playing big chords at a faster tempo and louder dynamic, the graces were only going to detract from the overall impact of the melodic lines.  You're definitely right though in that there is a lot of subtle stuff going on in those bars.

Quote from: Static on May 11, 2019, 05:12:00 PMFor m82 of Phase 2, there's a noticeable break at the end of the bar that might be worth including. It's a pretty minor thing though.

Hmm it's a good point.  I just went and tried playing it like that but the sudden loss of sound is a bit more stark on piano than it is in the original and so it sounds a little odd.  I think for consistency in that ending it's probably best kept as is but it's definitely good to think about these things.

Thanks for checking; I know it's a big piece!

Static

Quote from: Libera on May 11, 2019, 05:25:46 PMThanks, I spent absolutely ages on this sheet so I'm glad I got something of good quality out at the end.
You're welcome! Yeah, it certainly is really good.

Quote from: Libera on May 11, 2019, 05:25:46 PMMy thinking was in phase 1 where it was slower and the melody was a single line (or just a single harmony note beneath) it was important to get in all the flourishes and stuff.  But in phase 2 where often the right hand is playing big chords at a faster tempo and louder dynamic, the graces were only going to detract from the overall impact of the melodic lines.  You're definitely right though in that there is a lot of subtle stuff going on in those bars.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. It's better to give the actual melody more focus in these kinds of big expansive sections.

Quote from: Libera on May 11, 2019, 05:25:46 PMHmm it's a good point.  I just went and tried playing it like that but the sudden loss of sound is a bit more stark on piano than it is in the original and so it sounds a little odd.  I think for consistency in that ending it's probably best kept as is but it's definitely good to think about these things.
Yeah, that makes sense. You can't really sustain notes at a constant volume on piano lol

Quote from: Libera on May 11, 2019, 05:25:46 PMThanks for checking; I know it's a big piece!
Big pieces are fun to check sometimes! This is one of those fun ones I think.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but this is officially accepted!

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot