[NDS] Rhythm Heaven - "Thrilling! Is this Love? (Fan Club)" by Latios212

Started by Zeta, May 12, 2019, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Rhythm Heaven
Game: Rhythm Heaven
Console: Nintendo DS
Title: Thrilling! Is this Love? (Fan Club)
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Finally some Rhythm Heaven from me!

Here's a version without the lead vocal part or player sound effects that I used for reference:

Here's the full experience to reference the vocal part:

One point of consideration to anyone checking is the vocal note in m. 23 beat 3, which is definitely an A natural that sounds a bit odd but accurately reflects the original. I feel like it possibly "should" be a B flat, but left it as is because that's what I'm used to hearing in this version of the song.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Just checked out the Japanese version and realized how badly this song carried over to the English version in hindsight...
  • I'm hearing a D for m15 RH Layer 1 beat 3 instead of an Eb.
  • I think there's a comma missing after "shy" in m11.
  • Are the parentheses in m13 and m17 necessary? The right hand isn't playing a C when the left hand first hits the note.
  • On that note, in m13 and m17, the left hand holds the first low Ab throughout the measure, and I think the measure loses a bit of its texture without it. I would add an Ab whole note Layer 2 and notate it to show that the right hand plays the Bb and C.
  • m23 is interesting... it jarred me a bit the first time I heard the chord, but after the first listen, it definitely felt more natural... it sounds less out-of-place considering the other 7th chords that come right after it. When I changed it to a Bb, it sounded a bit dull and not quite right, but it definitely won't sound jarring, at least. I think either way is fine, though I might lean towards keeping it as an An.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

Thanks for the feedback, and sorry for the wait!

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 08:15:49 PM
  • I'm hearing a D for m15 RH Layer 1 beat 3 instead of an Eb.
  • I think there's a comma missing after "shy" in m11.
Yes! Fixed.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 08:15:49 PM
  • Are the parentheses in m13 and m17 necessary? The right hand isn't playing a C when the left hand first hits the note.
No, but I would like to keep them because I didn't like how the two consecutive major seconds sounded when I was trying it out, and the right hand plays a C on beat 2 anyway so it doesn't really need to be re-articulated so soon.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 08:15:49 PMOn that note, in m13 and m17, the left hand holds the first low Ab throughout the measure, and I think the measure loses a bit of its texture without it. I would add an Ab whole note Layer 2 and notate it to show that the right hand plays the Bb and C.
Good idea, I use pedal for the whole thing when I play this sheet but it'd be good to make it explicit in this part. Though, I do intend for the left hand to play the Bb (and C if the performer wants)

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 12, 2019, 08:15:49 PMm23 is interesting... it jarred me a bit the first time I heard the chord, but after the first listen, it definitely felt more natural... it sounds less out-of-place considering the other 7th chords that come right after it. When I changed it to a Bb, it sounded a bit dull and not quite right, but it definitely won't sound jarring, at least. I think either way is fine, though I might lean towards keeping it as an An.
Yup! I think I'll keep it.

Files updated!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Feedback time yay.

-Please stop hurting the poor ties, Latios. :P
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
(bar 3)
-I think the 'Yeah' in bar 25 is on beat 2.5 rather than 2.
-Personally I'd extend the En in bar 28 to the end of the bar rather than cutting it off on beat 4.  It doesn't sound like it comes off exactly on beat 4 and in any case I've found that when putting vocal lines onto piano it makes sense to widen the note length so that you get the correct phrasing (or for want of a better word, envelope).
-The main thing I have to say is about the An in bar 23.  Regardless of whether or not it should be an An or a Bb, I'm a bit confused as to why it's even being put in as a pitched note at all.  Every other time she sings a note that's not really 'in-key' and is more spoken than sung you've written it in as a x notehead, but for this one particular section you've gone for pitched notes.  (For example, the first and last 'Yeah yeah yeah' are both quite close to Bb -> Bb (octave down) -> Bb but you didn't put that in as pitched.)  It sounds really weird putting in the An since it's completely non-functional and in the original she doesn't even hold that note for very long before glissing down off of it.  (Regarding whether it's meant to be a Bb, I don't think it's meant to be anything, it's just her saying 'Boom!' in a dramatic way...)

Everything else looks good to me.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on June 11, 2019, 04:07:58 PM-Please stop hurting the poor ties, Latios. :P
Whoops, fixed

Quote from: Libera on June 11, 2019, 04:07:58 PM-I think the 'Yeah' in bar 25 is on beat 2.5 rather than 2.
Yeah, I suppose!

Quote from: Libera on June 11, 2019, 04:07:58 PM-Personally I'd extend the En in bar 28 to the end of the bar rather than cutting it off on beat 4.  It doesn't sound like it comes off exactly on beat 4 and in any case I've found that when putting vocal lines onto piano it makes sense to widen the note length so that you get the correct phrasing (or for want of a better word, envelope).
Sounds good to me

Quote from: Libera on June 11, 2019, 04:07:58 PM-The main thing I have to say is about the An in bar 23.  Regardless of whether or not it should be an An or a Bb, I'm a bit confused as to why it's even being put in as a pitched note at all.  Every other time she sings a note that's not really 'in-key' and is more spoken than sung you've written it in as a x notehead, but for this one particular section you've gone for pitched notes.  (For example, the first and last 'Yeah yeah yeah' are both quite close to Bb -> Bb (octave down) -> Bb but you didn't put that in as pitched.)  It sounds really weird putting in the An since it's completely non-functional and in the original she doesn't even hold that note for very long before glissing down off of it.  (Regarding whether it's meant to be a Bb, I don't think it's meant to be anything, it's just her saying 'Boom!' in a dramatic way...)
I did spend quite a bit of time thinking about this and do want to keep it. First the reason why I wrote this as a pitched note is because it's part of the melody as opposed to her rallying the crowd - this part shouldn't be omitted by the piano like the others can. Though it is just the major 7th of the chord I do agree it sounds a bit funny but having played this game dozens of times I think it accurately reflects the quirkiness of the original. Technical accuracy aside (I made sure the attack actually was an A natural) it creates the sound I've come to recognize.

Thanks for looking it over!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on June 11, 2019, 05:27:21 PMI did spend quite a bit of time thinking about this and do want to keep it. First the reason why I wrote this as a pitched note is because it's part of the melody as opposed to her rallying the crowd - this part shouldn't be omitted by the piano like the others can. Though it is just the major 7th of the chord I do agree it sounds a bit funny but having played this game dozens of times I think it accurately reflects the quirkiness of the original. Technical accuracy aside (I made sure the attack actually was an A natural) it creates the sound I've come to recognize.

I'm still not really sold on this as an approach, but considering it's just one bar in the piece I'm willing to let it go.  I think it'd be more of a problem though if this was more prevalent in the piece and I can definitely think of lots of songs where that could happen.

Anyway, I think that's all from me.  Approved.

Also this:

Maelstrom

One comment about the An:
The japanese version was even less pitched and not flat at all like this one was. I understand your reasoning for keeping it this way, as this is the version you are arranging. I just thought I should point it out.
Source:
Spoiler
[close]

Anyway, I approve and will accept after you reconfirm your decision.

Latios212

Yeah, when investigating this I actually sought out a bunch of versions in other languages and found it inconclusive/inconsistent because other languages were doing different thing (in this case, different rhythms anyway).

Thanks for looking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot