News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[3DS] Tomodachi Life - "Ballad" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, May 12, 2019, 01:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Tomodachi Life
Console: Nintendo 3DS
Title: Ballad
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

For reference:

Latios212

omg this song is so pretty, thank you for introducing me to this, this will make a great addition to the site

There are some things we need to sort out first though :P The two main things that stand out to me right now while looking are:
- Time signatures and measures. The 2/4 time signature everywhere does not accurately reflect the varying rhythms that occur throughout the song. It's a bit difficult to pin down because it changes a bunch and there seems to be some leeway for interpretation, but changing the sheet to have each measure start at each low bass note should give you roughly what we want. I'll comment on specific sections after this is adjusted.
- Layers and harmonies. Right now it looks like you've written out only the piano part. There's a lot more to the song that could make the arrangement much richer - the vocal line may be difficult but there are definitely a lot of string harmonies you can use to thicken the texture a bit. Let me know what you think!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on May 12, 2019, 02:10:20 PM- Time signatures and measures. The 2/4 time signature everywhere does not accurately reflect the varying rhythms that occur throughout the song. It's a bit difficult to pin down because it changes a bunch and there seems to be some leeway for interpretation, but changing the sheet to have each measure start at each low bass note should give you roughly what we want. I'll comment on specific sections after this is adjusted.
- Layers and harmonies. Right now it looks like you've written out only the piano part. There's a lot more to the song that could make the arrangement much richer - the vocal line may be difficult but there are definitely a lot of string harmonies you can use to thicken the texture a bit. Let me know what you think!
Yeah, I got a bit confused on the time signature, I will admit. I can do what you said and start with the bass line for each measure. How would you like me to add in the strings part? I can see how you could do it at the beginning, but I'm unsure how you'd do it in the song when you have the piano part to go on.

NineLives

Well, I've changed the intro and the time signatures for now.

Latios212

Sorry, I've been quite busy and will probably have more to say regarding the harmonies in a few days!

As for the time signatures though - looks better but I would still urge you to combine some measures so that every measure starts on a low bass note. You'll end up with some strange-looking things like 5/4 and 7/8 but it will be much more clear what the different musical phrases are when they aren't split across smaller time signatures. (This will help the performer know when to pedal as well.)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on May 15, 2019, 05:09:19 PMSorry, I've been quite busy and will probably have more to say regarding the harmonies in a few days!

As for the time signatures though - looks better but I would still urge you to combine some measures so that every measure starts on a low bass note. You'll end up with some strange-looking things like 5/4 and 7/8 but it will be much more clear what the different musical phrases are when they aren't split across smaller time signatures. (This will help the performer know when to pedal as well.)
Well, is one able to do 7/8 on Notepad. I use Musescore for editing the sheet and it doesn't give the option of 7/8 as a time signature, but it does give the option for 5/4.

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: NineLives on May 16, 2019, 04:44:57 AMWell, is one able to do 7/8 on Notepad. I use Musescore for editing the sheet and it doesn't give the option of 7/8 as a time signature, but it does give the option for 5/4.
Musescore definitely has support for 7/8! The handbook explains how to do it under "creating a custom time signature".

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/time-signatures

NineLives

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on May 16, 2019, 06:15:23 AMMusescore definitely has support for 7/8! The handbook explains how to do it under "creating a custom time signature".

https://musescore.org/en/handbook/time-signatures
Oh, so it does. Thanks for that. Now it's fixed up again.

Latios212

Quote from: NineLives on May 12, 2019, 02:25:16 PMHow would you like me to add in the strings part? I can see how you could do it at the beginning, but I'm unsure how you'd do it in the song when you have the piano part to go on.
Sorry for the wait! Now that we've got the time signatures sorted out, it'll be a bit easier to go about this.

Before I forget, here's a MUS file with some formatting and other stuff cleaned up. Let's use this as a base moving forward!

Now, back to the harmonies. Listening to the original, it's a bit difficult because the strings fade in and out, but in some places you can try adding in the string harmonies as chords at the beginning of measures. For example measure 4-5 mostly just have the piano going on, but a D major triad would fit well at the beginning of measure 6. You could also try adding in the vocal line when the piano right hand part is empty as well.

If you need help still, hopefully a day in the upcoming couple weeks I'll have time to draw out some specifics.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Thank you for the formatted file, Latios. I also added in the D Major triad to measure 6 as well as adding an E Minor triad to measure 8. I don't think I'd like to add in any of the vocal parts as they're different the second time around. I hope that makes sense.

Libera

So I went to try and find a youtube video of this piece and I'm struggling to find one anywhere.  I went through an OST playlist and couldn't find it anywhere in there, and nothing else on the playlist sounded anything like the file Latios sent me (which I assume he got from your link).  If you could let me know what this piece actually is and where you're getting it from that'd be great.

Until I'm sure on what piece I'm actually supposed to be looking at, I'll leave out the notes.  But that being said, all of my comments on your other submission regarding margins apply over here as well.  Also, personally I'd suggest using pedal markings here of some kind to match the original.

Latios212

Here, perhaps? (I don't know anything about the game)

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

InsigTurtle

*All's good, I know the event when this plays

NineLives

Quote from: Libera on June 15, 2019, 03:06:25 PMBut that being said, all of my comments on your other submission regarding margins apply over here as well.  Also, personally I'd suggest using pedal markings here of some kind to match the original.
I may need help with the margins as Notepad doesn't provide me the freedom to change them. Along with that, I tried making all the current changes to Musescore, but, unfortunately, I wasn't able to transfer the pedal lines I had made for the sheet to Notepad nor was I able to make them in Notepad. I know I'm able to create the markings, but I had a plan to add pedal lines starting at measure two and going on from there(https://www.dropbox.com/s/qowzf73lboxx03v/Ballad.pdf?dl=0). If anyone is able to help me make those changes, it'd be gladly appreciated. I'm sorry that this is a recurring problem for me.