News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[PS2] Katamari Damacy - "Fugue #7777" by Th3Gavst3r

Started by Zeta, May 18, 2019, 07:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: Katamari Damacy
Console: PlayStation 2
Title: Fugue #7777
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Th3Gavst3r

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

Yay, more Katamari :D Notes are all good, just a few presentation things:

- I'd suggest making the pickup a full measure and filling the second half of it with the chord tied to the next measure, instead of the fermata you have. It's in strict time - the three half notes pass between the chord strike and the loop beginning.
- I'd recommend a caesura at the end. There's a pause between the last notes and the loop restarting.
- Quarter note in II RH, m. 10?
- Would recommend moving the systems closer together and a bit further away from the header on page 2.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Just wondering, is it conventional to use half notes tied to quarter notes instead of dotted half notes in cut time? You did this several times throughout the sheet and I'm just checking whether this was intentional or not.

I'm also totally not sold on the slur in the middle line at the end. I understand that it fits in terms of the phrasing, but when I first glanced at it, it looked like another tie to me, so I'm worried about whether it might look a bit misleading or not.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

FireArrow

A few stylistic things I'd recommend here too:

-4/4 time
-cut note lengths in half and double the tempo
-With keyboard fugues you're almost always passing the middle voice between hands, not notating it in 3 staffs for duet. Granted this wasn't intended for keyboard but see what you can do -- adding in an extra hand to play a single line feels like more of a cop-out than the right arranging decision.

Here's an example of how this style of music generally looks:
Spoiler
[close]
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Libera

Quote from: FireArrow on May 30, 2019, 01:20:59 AMA few stylistic things I'd recommend here too:

-4/4 time
-cut note lengths in half and double the tempo
-With keyboard fugues you're almost always passing the middle voice between hands, not notating it in 3 staffs for duet. Granted this wasn't intended for keyboard but see what you can do -- adding in an extra hand to play a single line feels like more of a cop-out than the right arranging decision.

Here's an example of how this style of music generally looks:
Spoiler
[close]

I'd just like to say that I strongly agree with all of this, although I think you meant half the tempo rather than double the tempo.  When a piece is so clearly imitating an established style, I think it should really be written in that style.  (Someone who was experienced in playing fugues would likely be very confused reading this sheet as it is at the moment.)

Latios212

Quote from: FireArrow on May 30, 2019, 01:20:59 AM-With keyboard fugues you're almost always passing the middle voice between hands, not notating it in 3 staffs for duet. Granted this wasn't intended for keyboard but see what you can do -- adding in an extra hand to play a single line feels like more of a cop-out than the right arranging decision.
Normally I would agree but the three voices are so well-established and distant that I'm fine with the conscious decision to keep everything where it originally is. If we were specifically trying to arrange a solo that'd be a different story.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

FireArrow

Quote from: Libera on May 30, 2019, 01:57:26 AMalthough I think you meant half the tempo rather than double the tempo.

oops, yeah this^

Quote from: Latios212 on May 30, 2019, 04:40:48 AMNormally I would agree but the three voices are so well-established and distant that I'm fine with the conscious decision to keep everything where it originally is. If we were specifically trying to arrange a solo that'd be a different story.

It's uncharacteristic of piano fugues (I've never seen a three voice one arranged as a duet before) and I don't see anyone wanting to play a single line as their part.

If falls in that gray area of too much to be a solo but not enough to be a duet and I'm certaintly biased towards the former so idk
Quote from: Dudeman on January 23, 2017, 05:35:59 PM
straight from the department of redundancy department

Latios212

Yes, but the track isn't a piano fugue :P

Anyway, up to Th3Gavst3r to see what he wants.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

I'm not familiar with the established style for piano fugues, but I've tried to gather what information I can.

Does this look less confusing and more like a fugue?

Libera

That looks much better!  Thanks for taking the time to do that.

-Is there a reason for having two lines on top of each other in bar 4, or is it just an accident?
-Maybe combine the rests in bar 8?
-The slur in bar 10 looks like it's coming off of the second layer quaver rather than the first.  I'd try messing with it a bit to make it clearer.

Nice work!

Th3Gavst3r

I've updated the topic this time. It's now officially a solo submission :D

Quote from: Libera on June 02, 2019, 01:14:03 AM-Is there a reason for having two lines on top of each other in bar 4, or is it just an accident?
I usually use these hidden lines as rulers. They point to the notes' centers so I don't have to stress about angles :P

Quote from: Libera on June 02, 2019, 01:14:03 AM-Maybe combine the rests in bar 8?
This was one of the fugue rules I wasn't sure about. From m.1 of the example FA posted it looks like you're supposed to always write both voices even if they don't actually sound. This seemed a little excessive to me, but I wasn't sure where to draw the line... I've combined the two rests now because I personally like it better, but I also wanted to hear what you guys think.

Quote from: Libera on June 02, 2019, 01:14:03 AM-The slur in bar 10 looks like it's coming off of the second layer quaver rather than the first.  I'd try messing with it a bit to make it clearer.
Fixed it!

Latios212

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on June 02, 2019, 01:46:11 PMI've updated the topic this time. It's now officially a solo submission :D
Still approve of this after the revamp ^^

Spoiler
[close]
turtle