[3DS] Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon - "Heahea City (Night)" by Jordan Knapp

Started by Zeta, June 01, 2019, 06:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libera

I just want to say that I wholly agree with Latios here regarding the beaming.

Quote from: SlowPokemon on August 09, 2019, 10:15:35 AMOkay, so I actually put a lot of thought into the whole "beaming across beat 3," but the problem with this is that as a bossa nova-style piece, it would actually be notated like this (3+3+2) in most jazz scores I'm familiar with. I think that's a decent case for keeping it the way I did it, but I'll let you make the final call. I had it out both ways at various points when I made this.

3+3+2 doesn't really explain the beaming that you've used here at all to me.  It seems like you're trying to beam the phrases together?  Either way the end result is very hard to parse/read, especially with the way that the left hands beaming interacts with the right hand.  I don't think this sheet would lose anything from following standard beaming practices and would gain a tremendous amount in readability.  Also, though admittedly I'm not super clued on jazz, I used to play in a big band and I've never seen beaming like this ever before.

While I'm here, I might as well point out other stuff as I see it:

-The composer/arranger info is squashed in at the top with the title and you've got plenty of white space at the bottom of the page to alleviate that.
-The copyright/url is slightly too low.  It should be vertically aligned with the bottom margin.
-The alternating dynamics in bars 25-26 might look clearer if the piano was placed above the staff next to the notes it applies to.
-The two slurs in bar 22 are colliding slightly.
-The slur in 12 could come away from the stem a little.
-The slur in 24 is colliding with the sharp symbol.

Code_Name_Geek

I happen to be a jazz major (as well as doing library work for a big band) so I hope it's okay if I weigh in on the beaming. Metrical beaming is mainly used in odd meters where the strong beats aren't obvious, which also divides the music into smaller chunks for ease of reading. For example, it is important to know whether 7/8 is meant to be played as 3+2+2 or 2+2+3. This isn't standard practice in 4/4 however.

I have seen simple syncopated rhythms notated across the middle of the bar in 4/4, like off-beat quarter notes or beat 1.5 dotted quarters. However, this is mainly in old handwritten big band charts and the old illegal versions of fake books, and is generally considered more difficult to read by modern standards. I don't know for sure, but my best guess is that discrepancies like this were partially due to copyists with little formal music training (often section players from the band) being employed to copy the parts from the composer's score, as it can vary even between different parts of the same song. Now that notation software is so wide-spread, jazz musicians tend to follow the conventions of music notation more strictly.

The accents in the bossa nova style are meant to be felt rather than read, similar to the way swing eighth notes are written as normal eighth notes but sound completely different. Pulling up any bossa nova tune from a modern fake book (published books, not scans of the old illegal fake books that are easy to find online) will likely show the beat 3 split as well as modern beaming conventions. If you want to make them more clear in the arrangement for someone who might not be familiar with the style, I would recommend putting accent articulations on the notes that you want to be emphasized.

Libera

SlowPokemon

Quote from: SlowPokemon on October 13, 2019, 07:54:39 AMIf the beaming still is not up to how you'd like it, anyone has my permission to change it. At this point, I don't want to spend any more time with it because I feel pretty confident about all of my decisions regarding that.

It'd probably be best to just cancel the submission because I like the sheet the way it is but I don't want to put the required rebeaming off on anyone else — I'm not trying to be difficult, that's just how the situation is
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Latios212

I don't mind doing it if you don't mind me editing the sheet! I'll get to it tomorrow if I have time.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Just a bit late... I uploaded new files with the adjusted beaming (plus a couple of other minor fixes like the roll symbols). I'm done with this one now, looks good!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Bespinben

Thumbs-up

Just wanted to give this a quick face-lift, with edits to the slurs, beam angles, dynamic positioning, casting-off, kerning, white-space allocation, etc.

You cannot view this attachment.
Quote from: Nebbles on July 04, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Someone beat Bespinben to making PMD music?! GASP!

MLF for Chatroom Mod next Tuesday

Zeta