Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: New Donk City
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

This arrangement could yous a bit more consistent beaming.....
m26 has the 8th notes split up into pairs, while m35 has 4 beamed together and the LH of both 35 and 43 have 3 beamed together, which should probably be changed no matter what pattern you go with.

m17 LH:

m21 has a b3.25 pickup like m17
Same kind of pickup in m43, but a Bb I think

fix and I approve

Latios212

Ah good catch yes I'll split those eighth note groups up. (I think you mean m. 36 not 35.)

Thanks for pointing those out! I'm not 100% sure about the last one but it sounds like it could be there and it seems reasonable. All edited.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

I really like what instruments you chose to include, it really makes the arrangement sound balanced and full, but not overly complex for just a solo. Anyways, I have some things:
  • On every subsequent loop, m6 has extra voices playing (trumpets). Not sure how you want to notate that, if at all.
  • Some rhythm problems:
    • m26 RH beat 3: That D should be a dotted 8th, and the C after it a 16th.
    • m38 RH beat 3.5: The C# should be an 8th tied to a 16th, and the D after it should be a dotted 8th.
  • m39-40: There's a kind of cool growing feeling here (I think because of the fortepianos in the brass) that's hard to replicate on piano. I don't really have any suggestions though, but maybe it's something to think about.
  • m42 RH beat 1: Maybe a tremolo on this chord? (split the notes up for whatever feels easiest) That's what the piano does in the recording and it sounds pretty cool.
  • You have plenty of articulations already, but some extra marcatos and accents couldn't hurt, especially in full band sections like the intro, and m35-end. I think these would suit the jazzy style of the piece.
  • Bassline stuff:
    • m10 beat 3.25: There should be a 16th note Ab (first space); the rhythm should look like m9.
    • m15-16: I hear the Ds in m15 as a dotted 8th, 16th (not tied), quarter. Then, the rest of the notes up to m17 are all quarter notes.
    • I hear m38-39 as this:
      Spoiler
      [close]

Latios212

Quote from: Static on July 05, 2019, 01:32:16 PMI really like what instruments you chose to include, it really makes the arrangement sound balanced and full, but not overly complex for just a solo.
Thanks! I was surprised how natural this one felt to write out. It felt a lot more intimidating before I started transcribing.

Quote from: Static on July 05, 2019, 01:32:16 PM
  • Some rhythm problems:
    • m26 RH beat 3: That D should be a dotted 8th, and the C after it a 16th.
    • m38 RH beat 3.5: The C# should be an 8th tied to a 16th, and the D after it should be a dotted 8th.
Whoops good catch, thanks! Fixed.

• m39-40: There's a kind of cool growing feeling here (I think because of the fortepianos in the brass) that's hard to replicate on piano. I don't really have any suggestions though, but maybe it's something to think about.
  • m42 RH beat 1: Maybe a tremolo on this chord? (split the notes up for whatever feels easiest) That's what the piano does in the recording and it sounds pretty cool.
I'm not too sure I want to change anything here. My intent was to just have the performer slam the chords with as much as possible to get the punch from the brass.

• You have plenty of articulations already, but some extra marcatos and accents couldn't hurt, especially in full band sections like the intro, and m35-end. I think these would suit the jazzy style of the piece.
Ah yes that would make sense. Not at all familiar with big band sheets, but I sprinkled around some accents and marcatos around where the brass strikes big. Hope their placement is satisfactory.

• Bassline stuff:
    • m10 beat 3.25: There should be a 16th note Ab (first space); the rhythm should look like m9.
    • m15-16: I hear the Ds in m15 as a dotted 8th, 16th (not tied), quarter. Then, the rest of the notes up to m17 are all quarter notes.
    • I hear m38-39 as this:
      Spoiler
      [close]
I don't hear anything playing in the bass voice in m. 10, though I think some stuff is playing in a higher voice. I've adjusted m. 15-16 though. For m. 38-39 I kind of hear that some 16th notes implied in those spaces but I don't quite hear any pitches there. In any case I think I'd prefer to just leave it as is.

I've updated the files. Thanks for the super close look!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Everything looks great! This is now officially New Dank City.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot