Series: Other
Game: Tetris (GB)
Console: Game Boy
Title: B Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

Ya like Russian folk music?

While I'm at it, any chance you guys could change the name of this game to "Tetris (GB)" for further clarification?

LeviR.star

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 18, 2019, 04:17:44 PMWhile I'm at it, any chance you guys could change the name of this game to "Tetris (GB)" for further clarification?

^^ I second this.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Dekkadeci

The double mf in Bar 1 looks unnecessary to me; I'd eliminate the left-hand one. For Bar 2, if you want to convey that the right hand is piano while the left hand remains mezzo forte, I'd put the p dynamic marking on top of the upper staff, then leave the mf marking in Bar 3 as-is.

Great job otherwise, though!

I third adding (GB) to the game name; the NES version of Tetris has this theme in a different key for "Music 2".

Latios212

Yaaay another replacement!

Quote from: Yug_Guy on June 18, 2019, 04:17:44 PMWhile I'm at it, any chance you guys could change the name of this game to "Tetris (GB)" for further clarification?
Makes sense. Done!

Quote from: Dekkadeci on June 22, 2019, 12:19:18 PMThe double mf in Bar 1 looks unnecessary to me; I'd eliminate the left-hand one. For Bar 2, if you want to convey that the right hand is piano while the left hand remains mezzo forte, I'd put the p dynamic marking on top of the upper staff, then leave the mf marking in Bar 3 as-is.
Yeah I was a bit confused by this as well. Actually my suggestion would to be to just eliminate the right hand part in m. 2 completely since it sounds like the original only plays a single line there.

- I'd personally recommend removing the courtesy An's in m. 5 and 8 since it's past a system break and the A#'s in the previous measures were only neighboring accidentals and not harmonic changes. Up to you, though.
- I'd also suggest moving m. 4 down a system. The first system would be nicer to have at 3 measures instead of 4 because it's already shortened.
- The last dyad in the right hand should have an A on the bottom, not F#.

Other than that, looks super clean!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on June 30, 2019, 10:08:54 AMYeah I was a bit confused by this as well. Actually my suggestion would to be to just eliminate the right hand part in m. 2 completely since it sounds like the original only plays a single line there.
I mean, technically there's two lines playing there, but honestly eliminating the top one just makes things so much cleaner.

Quote from: Latios212 on June 30, 2019, 10:08:54 AM- I'd personally recommend removing the courtesy An's in m. 5 and 8 since it's past a system break and the A#'s in the previous measures were only neighboring accidentals and not harmonic changes. Up to you, though.
- I'd also suggest moving m. 4 down a system. The first system would be nicer to have at 3 measures instead of 4 because it's already shortened.
- The last dyad in the right hand should have an A on the bottom, not F#.
Fixed.

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Notes and stuff look good to me, the only thing I have to say is that I think it's a shame that there are no articulations anywhere in the sheet.  There are probably a lot of things that you could do, but particular ones I'm noticing are slurs on beat 3.5 in bars 19-20 and staccatos on the crotchets at the start and ends of bars (like the two in bar 9).  It's up to you obviously, but I think it might help make the sheet extra special if you thought about it and included some.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Libera on June 30, 2019, 10:46:09 AMNotes and stuff look good to me, the only thing I have to say is that I think it's a shame that there are no articulations anywhere in the sheet.  There are probably a lot of things that you could do, but particular ones I'm noticing are slurs on beat 3.5 in bars 19-20 and staccatos on the crotchets at the start and ends of bars (like the two in bar 9).  It's up to you obviously, but I think it might help make the sheet extra special if you thought about it and included some.
Fun fact: I am absolutely terrible at figuring out where slurs should go in a piece of music. A lot of times for me, it ends up being blind guesswork.

That being said, when it comes to 8-bit compositions like this one, I usually choose to have too few articulations as opposed to too many. Admittedly, chiptune isn't super great when it comes to being dynamic or having articulations, so I figure I'd keep the piece somewhat uniform and let the performer decide if they want to make the song less uniform when they play it.

I'm not trying to outright dismiss your critique, I'm just stating where I'm coming from. I can definitely be talked into adding some articulations.

LeviR.star

Hey Yug, I was asked to provide some input, so here I am! Take the following advice with a grain of salt.

I can relate to what you said about figuring out where slurs should go in a piece of music and it being blind guesswork. I understanding what you're saying about chiptune pieces generally being uniform, both dynamically and occasionally articulation-wise. But I personally don't think that should be a reason to leave the sheet blank.

The way I see it, the articulations and dynamics you put on a sheet are basically salt and pepper. Does a slab of rotisserie chicken need salt and pepper sprinkled on? No. But they give it flavor, whether that's a flavor people will enjoy or not. Now, what you have is a very unseasoned piece of chicken. There's nothing particularly wrong with it, but it could be better with a little spice. Now the recipe (the original song) may not always call for it, but that doesn't mean you can't experiment with adding something extra. You, as the chef, have the power to determine the flavor of this chicken. You've got a right mindset about allowing the performer (we'll call them "customer") to make the song less uniform, but what if the customer doesn't know how to spice up their chicken? Those performers are going to end up boring whoever's listening to them because no one inspired them to play around with their style. Chances are, you're going to get more satisfaction from them by adding extra spice than adding no spice at all.

Whether those articulations are on the sheet or not, the performer still in ultimate control of how they play. Say they like the staccatos and slurs you put in? Great! They'll play them. Now, say they don't like them and don't want to play them. That's fine, because they still can perform the piece however they want. But what matters is that if they rejected your articulations, they've likely already had a lot of experience and know what they want to get out of a song. That said, there's still players out there learning from arrangers like us. I think I've learned nearly half of my theory knowledge for 7 years (several of them just downloading sheets) on this site alone.

My final opinion? Mr. Tanaka and the other great Nintendo composers programmed the music to sound exactly like it does, and I, as well as the updaters, can tell you those separate or connected notes are audible, and there for a reason. Do what you want, but please, consider my advice.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

I was told that the question in this song was whether articulations should be present or not. I listened twice, and then read the thread. Of all things, slurs were the last thing I expected this song to have. It's just my two cents, but I think the song is fine as it is. Staccato doesn't really make sense since each note is pretty much the same length anyway. While there may be some chiptune music that wants articulation, I don't think this song is one of them.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: LeviR.star on June 30, 2019, 03:13:35 PM~spiel~
Levi, you're a wonderful arranger, and I'm very glad to see you so enthusiastic about giving feedback, but I think this time I will probably do my own thing. I really, really don't want to come off as disingenuous, so please don't take this the wrong way.

Quote from: Maelstrom on July 10, 2019, 04:21:35 PMI was told that the question in this song was whether articulations should be present or not. I listened twice, and then read the thread. Of all things, slurs were the last thing I expected this song to have. It's just my two cents, but I think the song is fine as it is. Staccato doesn't really make sense since each note is pretty much the same length anyway. While there may be some chiptune music that wants articulation, I don't think this song is one of them.
Pretty much my thoughts in a nutshell

Libera

I still agree with Levi here, but since you've considered it and other updaters don't mind I'll respect your decision.

Closing this one out now.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Libera.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot