[DELETED] [N64] The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - "The End Credits" by hamishbrown

Started by Zeta, July 02, 2019, 12:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: The Legend of Zelda
Game: The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: The End Credits
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: hamishbrown

hamishbrown

This is quite big and I don't have finale. If it is worthy of being accepted then someone will have to clean it up a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMEQmwV8Q8

Latios212

Hey there!

It's fine if you don't have Finale - we can help clean things up for you - but the main thing I'm seeing here at a glance is the use of triplets everywhere throughout some sections. Not sure what notation program you're using, but this will need to be changed to either swing or compound time (not in a position to evaluate the original right now as I'm traveling).

The layers need to be thought out more as well. Visuals aside, some parts look either impractical to play or very confusing to interpret what's written for two hands.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

hamishbrown

Hi, thanks for the advice I have converted that section to 6/8. I wrote this over a year ago for my own personal enjoyment and did not really care about whether it was practical or not and it does show. There's a lot of stupid stuff I did out of laziness.

SlowPokemon

I actually totally disagree with Latios about the compound meter here, this section should not be in compound time. As a jazz combo-esque style, it makes much more sense for it to be in 4/4 using triplets and swing as Latios suggested, as the melody is supposed to sound basically improvised on top of the accompanying players, just like a real jazz group.

And if you do go with a compound meter, my opinion is that it should be 12/8, not 6/8.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

hamishbrown

Hi,

Yes I agree if I choose compound it should be 12/8 since that's 4 beats in a bar obviously. Thanks for pointing that out. And perhaps while I was writing this I though that I should write it all in triplets so it looks more jazzy rather than an irish jig or something. It sounds the same as when it was written out in triplets so perhaps it doesn't matter? Will have to see what other people think.

SlowPokemon

It makes sense either way. After another look, I think the compound meter is fine if you do 12/8 instead of 6/8.
Quote from: Tobbeh99 on April 21, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
Fuck logic, that shit is boring, lame and does not always support my opinions.

Static

This is a very good start, but there's plenty to take care of. Whatever you can't fix I or another updater can help you with.

• Articulations are bit inconsistent, especially at the beginning section. There are many notes in the RH that should be staccato (like both 8th notes on beat 2 of m5 and m6); it's not all legato.
  • I'm with SlowPokemon here about the time signature of the m18 section; this is definitely a swing-style section. I would write it as 4/4 with swing, and with triplets as necessary (for the duplets, keep them as duplets or mark them as straight 8ths). Although 12/8 has the same rhythms, it does not indicate the same kind of style.
  • As Latios mentioned, the 2nd layer is a bit unwieldy at times, but it definitely works most of the time with some pedal usage (i.e. the jumps aren't too big for just one hand). I would focus on making the layers easier to read, since right now there is a lot of clutter and overlapping. In places like m49 for example, the top G in layer 2 looks a little strange. Things like this can be fixed by moving ties around, or even the notes themselves sometimes.
  • Many of the ties throughout the piece are too close or are touching other notes.
  • All the systems on the top of each page are too high; lots of slurs and stems go above or into the title and page numbers.

Latios212

I'm going to archive this for now. Feel free to resubmit after taking into account Static's feedback, and feel free to ask for help if you need it.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle