[PC] VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action - "Every Day is Night" by Maelstrom

Started by Zeta, July 08, 2019, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: VA-11 HALL-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action
Console: PC
Title: Every Day is Night
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Libera

Quote from: Zeta on July 08, 2019, 01:26:30 PMEvery Day is Night

It sure is when I have to stay up for NSM.

Checking now:
-The five note chords in the left hand on the first page are pretty tricky, particularly the F9sus4 but I guess the performer can choose to omit the top notes if they can't make them.  Still, worth mentioning.
-In bar 24 I'd suggest alternating slurs with the staccatos there.  It would just make the intended articulation so much clearer to the performer.
-I feel like the treatment of the chords in bars 33-38 is a little inconsistent.  Sometimes you put in the extra movement and sometimes you don't.  The bit I'm most worried about is probably in bar 41 where you put in movement on beat 2.5 without making it clear that the melody doesn't do this (and to be honest I'm not sure I really hear any movement on beat 2.5 in the chords either.)
-The left hand rhythm in 49-56 sounds like how you have it in 53-54 everywhere.  In other words, I think that the Ab on beat 3 should actually be on beat 3.5 in 49, 51 and 55.  Although it's kind of hard to tell in 51 and 55 I'm very convinced of this in 51 and it would make more sense for it to be the same rhythm in each case.  Same goes for the next eight bars but in the right hand now.
-Should the C-Eb dyad on beat 4 in bar 53 not be a Bb -D dyad like in 49?  Same goes for bar 61.
-Does the Ab really need a courtesy accidental in 45 and 61 when the key signature is right there?
-It should be a comma in between the developer and the publisher rather than a slash.
-Does this track loop?  If it does there should probably be a D.C. second time written in at the end.

Nice sheet; I'd never heard of this game before.  It's a little sad to lose that driving bassline 17 onwards but I agree with you that trying to include would probably just make the sheet obnoxiously annoying to play.

Maelstrom

Everything fixed.
As for m33-38 LH, I completely revised and rewrote it. Take a look at it now.
I redid the LH rhythm in all of 49-56
I hear it as it is in m49 and 61. the dyad, that is.
No, the song does not loop, do to the nature of the game.

Also I realized that I had quarters beamed in both pairs and sets of 4, so I made it all sets of 4 because unbeaming 33-48 looks weird.

Libera

Awesome, 33-38 looks a lot better now I think.  Just a few other things to say based on these edits:

-I'm still hearing the C-Eb dyad in 53 and 61 as Bb-D like in 49 and 57.  In fact, you have it as such in the equivalent place in bar 45.
-Now that the first chord in bar 33 needs to be flipped up the first time bar symbol needs a little more space, particularly the '1.' which is very close to the stem and actually I think the full stop is inside the stem.
-I forgot to mention this last time but there's a grace note into the second note in bar 29 that you may or may not want to include.

Maelstrom

Libera

Latios212

Nice work, cool piece. A few things I found when looking over it:
- Upper layer rests in m. 9-16 would be perfectly fine at normal mid-staff height and I would recommend putting them there
- Grace note missing on the second note of m. 21 (like m. 29)
- Move the 2. under the repeat bracket in m. 49 left a bit (similar to the first ending)
- Does the piece just end after playing the last eight bars twice?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Libera on August 04, 2019, 07:18:09 AM-Does this track loop?  If it does there should probably be a D.C. second time written in at the end.

Quote from: Maelstrom on August 05, 2019, 12:08:43 PMNo, the song does not loop, do to the nature of the game.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

All fixed.

Yes, it just ends. Here's how the game's OST works: You're a bartender and you set up the jukebox for the evening at the beginning of each night. When one song ends, the next one starts. It really does just end like that.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta