News:

Congratulations!! You, yes, YOU, dear user, have been selected for the "You Read This News Item" award! Click here for your prize!!

Main Menu

[SNES] Mario Paint - "Monkeys (Duet)" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, August 05, 2019, 08:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Mario Paint
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Monkeys
Instrumentation Piano Duet
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Reference:
Same as my other submission, formatting help saved for last please and thank you!

Static

• In piano music, you shouldn't really be using 8va clefs. For the first staff, use a normal treble clef and use an 8va lines, or simply write "Primo RH sempre 8va" or something similar. The Secondo LH should also just be normal bass clef without 8vb since it doesn't actually go down that low. Usually my threshold for using 8va/8vb are sections with 4 or more ledger lines.
  • Generally, in 4/4, you shouldn't use dotted rests. Dotted quarter rests should be a quarter+8th rest, and dotted half rests should be half+quarter rests, etc.
  • Abs in m8, 18, 19, and 34 should be G#s (E7 chords).
  • m12, 14, 18 Primo LH should look like m8 Primo LH (staccato quarter note instead of 8th note). It just looks cleaner that way.
  • m24 Primo LH beat 2.5: F# should be an F natural.
  • The grace notes on page 4 should have slurs even if they're under a larger slur.

Like for your other submission, I went ahead and made these changes for you, as well as fixed up the formatting.

NineLives

Thanks again for the changes and stuff, Static! For the 8va, I was a little confused with that because I thought a line would be only for temporary things and I didn't know about "sempre 8va." Sorry about the dotted rests. I'll try to look out for those more often and change them, since those have been a bit common in my initial sheets.

Static

Quote from: NineLives on August 11, 2019, 09:09:25 PMThanks again for the changes and stuff, Static! For the 8va, I was a little confused with that because I thought a line would be only for temporary things and I didn't know about "sempre 8va." Sorry about the dotted rests. I'll try to look out for those more often and change them, since those have been a bit common in my initial sheets.

No problem. Yeah, sempre 8va (or "always 8va" or even simply "play RH an octave higher") is very useful in situations like this. The dotted rest stuff will become 2nd nature to you the more you arrange, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I now approve this sheet.

Maelstrom

A few things:

m1 primo LH - It's easier to show than say so here's what i hear:

m5-6 primo LH

Both of these apply in m11 and m25-16

I suggest writing m35 like this to have all the notes, as there is a 3rd voice that only plays on the notes you have accented

If a slur ends on a tied note, it is common convention to end it with the final note. For example, in m37, you have  a slur that starts on beat 3.5 and ends on beat 4. However, notation convention dictates that the slur include the dotted half note in the next measure. Do this for the rest of the slurs in that section. the only exception to this rule may be grace note slurs but don't quote me on that.

Latios212

I gotcha because Finale.

Agree with Maelstrom's feedback. Some of these quarter notes on beat 1 (like in the first measure) are also better off with staccatos. m. 35 should be split up a bit differently, as the lower two voices are slightly different than both you and Maelstrom wrote them.

Aside from that, unfortunately there are still a lot of wrong notes - some parts that are off by a little bit and some that are off by a lot.

Here's a listing that should cover most of it:
- Bass in m. 1/11, many notes in the bass of m. 21+
- Second half note in m. 5/15/26/
- Dyads in m. 7/9/17/19
- m. 24/26/30/32 middle layer eighth notes
- All grace notes should be #
- Dyads in m. 39+ are pretty off.

I've fixed the files and also made some other minor layout adjustments, and here's the file. Please compare it with what you had and confirm my changes. I'm confident you can do a better job transcribing next time!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on August 30, 2019, 05:42:04 PMI've fixed the files and also made some other minor layout adjustments, and here's the file. Please compare it with what you had and confirm my changes. I'm confident you can do a better job transcribing next time!
Thanks you both Latios and Maelstrom. I looked over it, and all the changes seem good. I had that arrangement for a while and changed it over and over. Perhaps I just heard quite a bit of the source wrong. I will indeed try my hardest to improve on my transcribing.

Latios212

Sounds good. In the future, please don't hesitate to ask for help with certain parts you're unsure of (like "hey I'm not too sure about this part in these measures") - this will help us know where to spend more time on instead of checking everywhere blindly when you're already aware one part may be a bit troublesome.

Anyway, accepting!
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot