News:

Using cutting-edge ray tracing technology, our sheets appear 69% more realistic than the leading bargain brand!

Main Menu

[NES] Final Fantasy - "Main Theme" by Yug Guy

Started by Zeta, August 12, 2019, 04:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Final Fantasy
Game: Final Fantasy
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Main Theme
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

mastersuperfan

Checked the notes, they all seem good. Just a few things:
  • Courtesy Gn in LH m9.
  • Courtesy Bn in LH m16.
  • The measure after the repeat is actually different from m1 in that there's an added F# on beat 1. I'm not sure if this was an intentional omission, but if not, I would recommend adding an extra measure to the end with the F# and then looping back to m2 instead of m1.
  • Since the piece starts in G major, maybe consider using the G major key sig? Not sure about this one.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Latios212

I arranged this theme as well some time ago, and while of course I'm not going to suggest that you change things to be like mine, there are some improvements I can suggest after comparing the two.

- As with a couple of other recent submissions, I do think that this sheet could benefit from a bit more performance direction in terms of articulation. I used staccato in my sheet, but perhaps an even better way to differentiate the melody from the more detached bass would be to use phrase markings over the melody. This way you would also be able to differentiate the melody from the other voice in m. 4/8.
- In m. 9-11 even though the LH part fits within an octave I still think it's a bit demanding at that speed to alternate the dyads like that. While writing something like this would look pretty different, I think the execution woudl be much easier:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
- The third and fourth systems crush the middle layer somewhat either by shortening the stems or by pushing it too close to the other staff. You can easily widen the space between staves instead; there's room to work with this sheet.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on August 13, 2019, 03:38:38 PMChecked the notes, they all seem good. Just a few things:
  • Courtesy Gn in LH m9.
  • Courtesy Bn in LH m16.
  • The measure after the repeat is actually different from m1 in that there's an added F# on beat 1. I'm not sure if this was an intentional omission, but if not, I would recommend adding an extra measure to the end with the F# and then looping back to m2 instead of m1.
  • Since the piece starts in G major, maybe consider using the G major key sig? Not sure about this one.
Agree with the G major, don't think the courtesy accidentals are wholly necessary. About the F# it sounds tied between the last measure and the subsequent first. You could notate that by writing in the note and putting some text that says "subsequent passes only" etc. or do as MSF suggested.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

All fixed + some more stuff Latios DM'ed me over Discord about.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on August 14, 2019, 06:53:54 PMthis gets a thumbs up from me
It gets a second thumbs up from me as well.

But if there is one other thing I could suggest, it would be that the courtesy Gn in m9 seems a bit unnecessary to me since it's on a new system. It's up to you whether you want to keep it or not, it's no big deal either way.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on August 18, 2019, 10:29:44 AMBut if there is one other thing I could suggest, it would be that the courtesy Gn in m9 seems a bit unnecessary to me since it's on a new system. It's up to you whether you want to keep it or not, it's no big deal either way.
Eh, I figure I might as well keep it in. No one was ever harmed from too little ambiguity, right?

Latios212

Quote from: Yug_Guy on August 18, 2019, 11:44:22 AMEh, I figure I might as well keep it in. No one was ever harmed from too little ambiguity, right?
Actually, I do think over-clarification can be bad. Not talking about this specifically, but doing so can add unnecessary clutter to a sheet as well as the performer second-guess the music ("why is there an accidental here? It's already in the key signature, did I miss something...")

As I mentioned before, my preference would be to take it out, but it's up to you.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Yug_Guy

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot