News:

Debate topic for next Tuesday: Are cannons truly valid instruments for an orchestra? Or should they be replaced with something safer, like Tesla coils?

Main Menu

[PC] CrossCode - "First Scholars (Two Pianos)" by Greg

Started by Zeta, August 17, 2019, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Other
Game: CrossCode
Console: PC
Title: First Scholars
Instrumentation Two Pianos
Arranger: Greg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Greg

Latios212

Some things to get started with:
- Overall the music is a bit cramped in some places. I think reducing the staff size a bit might help with that
- In places like m. 1 where you have cross-staff beams, try and have them follow the contour of the notes. Right now they're slanting up instead of down which is odd.
- Some tricky places you can try to split things up a bit further between hands where one hand is idle, for instance m. 19
- Something's funny with the ties between m. 45-46 in the top chord
- Fix inner ties in m. 65 (Finale is terrible at this)
- In places like m. 41-42, 49-50, and 66 where you have notes changing or dropping from a chord flip the upper ties down. This points the tie away from the other pitches in the chord.
- m. 23 sounds like it's missing melody (D) in the first piano?
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Greg

Thanks as always for the polish. Just one thing, re: your last comment, I cannot for the life of me hear the D that you're referring to there.

Latios212

No problem! And sorry for the wait. I'm going through it more now, and it looks pretty good!

Quote from: Greg on September 04, 2019, 12:00:30 AMThanks as always for the polish. Just one thing, re: your last comment, I cannot for the life of me hear the D that you're referring to there.
Hm, okay maybe I'm imagining it :P

- 8vb marking for piano 1 should be much more apparent and indicate that it applies to the whole piece (try "sempre 8vb" or something similar)
- m. 16 piano 2: would be easier to pull off the intended articulation if you split the first couple of beats between two hands as well (legato going between triads is difficult). Also third chord seems to be missing an F on bottom.
- m. 27 LH piano 1: courtesy naturals would be nice on the B's
- Suggest slurring the grace notes in m. 34/62
- Maybe a cross-staff line in m. 36 to indicate that the C-B phrase continues with the LH chords?
- You could still afford to decompress a bit by filling in the last page with another system. Page 4 is a bit cramped with 6 measures/system in some places and you can loosen up a couple of other parts as well with this new space.
- Lowest note isn't supposed to be tied between 45-46, right?
- I think the chord in m. 49 should have an E a fifth below the bass A
- Courtesy Gn would be nice in m. 50
- Not sure I hear the high F in the chord in m. 53
- Courtesy An would be nice in m. 57
- For the triplets in m. 62 and 64 I think it'd look better with a quarter instead of two tied eighths
- Any reason why that last note is tied over instead of having a rest on the last beat?

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Greg

god I hate Finale's tuplet tool

Anyway, think that takes care of stuff. Hopefully it looks less cramped now!

Quote from: Latios212 on September 16, 2019, 06:04:13 PM- Any reason why that last note is tied over instead of having a rest on the last beat?

That's what I hear? There's definitely a moment where that's the only note being sustained.

Latios212

Awesome, looks much better now! Just a last couple tiny things from me before I sign off ^^

- m. 62 grace note still isn't slurred, might have missed that?
- the A>Ab movement in m. 45-46 is causing the flat to overlap the tie a bit. Actually, here I would recommend moving those two notes to the left hand similar to how you did in m. 49-50 because as of right not it's a bit confusing-looking as the flat on the A could easily be mistaken for the tied Bb.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Greg

gonna go ahead and blame the tuplet tool for the slur

I really should have noticed the parallel between 45-46 and 49-50. Anyway, fixed. Thanks again for checking!

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Really cool tune, and cool arrangement! The only thing I would change would be to make the tied quarter notes in m65 Piano II LH a half note instead.

Greg

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Latios212.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot