[NES] Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - "The Silence of Daylight" (Replacement) by LeviR.star

Started by Zeta, August 30, 2019, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Castlevania
Game: Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Console: Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: The Silence of Daylight
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: LeviR.star

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

LeviR.star

A sheet I'm replacing that needs to be burned with fire. Like, now.

The on-site title is incorrect; this sheet should be called, "The Silence of Daylight".
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 30, 2019, 07:01:48 PMA sheet I'm replacing that needs to be burned with fire. Like, now.
oof

Title fixed.

(Haha m. 9-12 is that thing that sounds like something from Twilight Princess)
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Anyway, feedback time:
- The parallel thirds at the end of m. 1 aren't really hard to play, and certainly easier than some other figures written in this sheet. I'd suggest writing them in, but up to you
- m. 5/7 are a bit tight between staves on beat 4. You could flip the LH part to accommodate if you want.
- The B flat in m. 9 beat 3 would be better off pointing downwards to make it obvious it's a continuation of the lower layer
- m. 10 beats 3-4 should have layers flipped even though they'd be opposing on beat 4 - its difficult to tell where each layer is going right now since they swap in the middle of the measure
- The tritone at the beginning of m. 11 is interesting. It follows an A so I can see why you'd want to write it as a G# but given that part is playing a G chord maybe it'd make more sense as an Ab. Not totally sure though
- m. 16 beat 1 is flipped
- m. 16 beats 1-2 is really awkward to play, with most of the left hand notes coinciding with the right hand and jumping above it in between. Consider doing something like dropping the LH part an octave to make this easier to play as well as the parts easier to differentiate.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on September 01, 2019, 03:15:31 PM- m. 5/7 are a bit tight between staves on beat 4. You could flip the LH part to accommodate if you want.
- The B flat in m. 9 beat 3 would be better off pointing downwards to make it obvious it's a continuation of the lower layer
- m. 10 beats 3-4 should have layers flipped even though they'd be opposing on beat 4 - its difficult to tell where each layer is going right now since they swap in the middle of the measure
- The tritone at the beginning of m. 11 is interesting. It follows an A so I can see why you'd want to write it as a G# but given that part is playing a G chord maybe it'd make more sense as an Ab. Not totally sure though
- m. 16 beat 1 is flipped
- m. 16 beats 1-2 is really awkward to play, with most of the left hand notes coinciding with the right hand and jumping above it in between. Consider doing something like dropping the LH part an octave to make this easier to play as well as the parts easier to differentiate.

All fixed, thanks for the attention to detail.

Quote from: Latios212 on September 01, 2019, 03:15:31 PM- The parallel thirds at the end of m. 1 aren't really hard to play, and certainly easier than some other figures written in this sheet. I'd suggest writing them in, but up to you

I wondered about these myself, and thought about whether or not I'd have to do the same for the thirds behind them in m. 3. For now, I've taken care of the identical pairs of thirds in m. 1 & 3, but I didn't know if you wanted all the thirds to be played in the latter bar. What do you think?

Files updated with everything so far, by the way.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 01, 2019, 07:59:55 PMI wondered about these myself, and thought about whether or not I'd have to do the same for the thirds behind them in m. 3. For now, I've taken care of the identical pairs of thirds in m. 1 & 3, but I didn't know if you wanted all the thirds to be played in the latter bar. What do you think?
Up to you. But since bar 3 is a run of four 16th notes it's much harder to play the dyads there (especially since the C is repeated) and as such I'd leave them out in m. 3. I don't think the lack of parallelism would be a big deal since we're adjusting for playability, but it's your call.

Approved pending your decision.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

LeviR.star

Quote from: Latios212 on September 03, 2019, 03:54:07 PMUp to you. But since bar 3 is a run of four 16th notes it's much harder to play the dyads there (especially since the C is repeated) and as such I'd leave them out in m. 3. I don't think the lack of parallelism would be a big deal since we're adjusting for playability, but it's your call.

I see where you're coming from; thirds removed from m. 3. Thanks!

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Zeta