News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

[N64] Mario Kart 64 - "Staff Roll (Duet)" by Nine Lives

Started by Zeta, August 31, 2019, 01:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Mario Kart
Game: Mario Kart 64
Console: Nintendo 64
Title: Staff Roll
Instrumentation Piano Duet
Arranger: Nine Lives

[attachment deleted by admin]

NineLives

Reference:
As per usual, I'd like formatting help after help and suggestions for notation and all that's related. Thanks very much!

LeviR.star

As per usual, we'd like to get those things out of the way before you even submit the sheet, NineLives. If you can ever get into the habit of formatting your sheets correctly, with or without our help on Discord, this won't be a recurring problem that delays people from reviewing your transcription.

First thing that looks off is the page count. I'm thinking that if you could put 3 measures into every system, we could cut down on your number of pages. If they start to look a little cramped, we can always decrease the page size by increments of 5% until they look decent.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

NineLives

Quote from: LeviR.star on August 31, 2019, 02:47:06 PMAs per usual, we'd like to get those things out of the way before you even submit the sheet, NineLives. If you can ever get into the habit of formatting your sheets correctly, with or without our help on Discord, this won't be a recurring problem that delays people from reviewing your transcription.
First thing that looks off is the page count. I'm thinking that if you could put 3 measures into every system, we could cut down on your number of pages. If they start to look a little cramped, we can always decrease the page size by increments of 5% until they look decent.
I'm sorry. I will admit that was ignorant of me. I'll try to see if I can work out those kinks on Notepad and/or Musescore.

Latios212

No worries. Feel free to reach out for help from anyone who has Finale.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on September 18, 2019, 03:54:22 PMI'll get the formatting on this one soon
Thanks very much, Latios! As for myself, I was able to at least implement the three measures per system, which was one of the concerns.

InsigTurtle

I'm pretty sure beat 3 of m.1 is an E, not an F#
You could add more dynamic markings in here, since this piece is definitely not at a static volume. It can also help you bring out the mood changes in between sections
I don't think those are triplets, they sound more like dotted eighth - dotted eighth - eighth rhythms to me (notes aren't an even triplet). Be sure to beam that properly too
Not really a fan of the articulation you use there, especially with the repeated E in (oh no i just noticed there aren't any measure numbers) the penultimate section. To me, that implies more of a hammered attack, sharp and aggressive.

Latios212

Updated with first pass at formatting! Let me know if I messed anything up.

I do think we could do away with the couple of measures on the last page; later I'll poke around with the distribution a bit.

Please have a look at Insig's comments and let me know if you need me to do more edits. :P

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

NineLives

Quote from: Latios212 on September 24, 2019, 04:08:57 PMUpdated with first pass at formatting! Let me know if I messed anything up.
I think you did a fine job with the formatting. Thanks again, Latios!
Quote from: InsigTurtle on September 21, 2019, 06:43:27 PMNot really a fan of the articulation you use there, especially with the repeated E in (oh no i just noticed there aren't any measure numbers) the penultimate section. To me, that implies more of a hammered attack, sharp and aggressive.
As for your changes InsigTurtle, I got all but this one. Would you rather me split the articulated notes(The ones with marcatos) in half and articulate them with accents instead or do you have something else in mind?

InsigTurtle

Accents could work, or even tenuto markings (which, even though it means to hold down for the full length, also implies some degree of emphasis on the note)

Also sorry for not being too clear on this, when I wrote "dotted eighth - dotted eighth - eighth" it was a bit of a shorthand, since in this case you'd have to split the second dotted eighth to show the beat by doing "dotted eighth - sixteenth tied to eighth - eighth"

NineLives

Okay. I think I got everything updated just right from following the comments so far. The new files are up.

mastersuperfan

- I wish this fit on 10 pages. Wonder if there's anywhere you could incorporate a repeat sign?
- Not sure if you can do this in NotePad but I would suggest increasing the size of the left margin slightly.
- Downbeats are naturally emphasized over upbeats, so I don't think you really need the accents in the bassline at all.
- I agree with Insig about the accents on the repeated E's as a "hammered attack"; I think no articulation might be better than a swarm of accents. (I would say use a different articulation but I'm not sure what else fits here.)
- m1 and m25 primo RH, drag the start of the 8va a little to the left to cover the note.
- Your 8va lines are uncomfortably close to the staff, sometimes to the point of virtually touching (i.e. m70). I would move all of them up a tiny bit; you have some space for it.
- The primo part from m25-40 can be easily played with one hand—perhaps you could bring back the high "twinkling" ostinato from the beginning? It's very quiet and much less prominent from m25-40, but it's there. You could move it an octave up (so as not to overlap with the melody on the piano) and give the staff its own p or pp dynamic marking. (If you want to use separate dynamic markings for staves, you could also indicate the melody with louder dynamics, e.g. in m9.)
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

NineLives

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 17, 2020, 11:38:05 PM- Downbeats are naturally emphasized over upbeats, so I don't think you really need the accents in the bassline at all.
- I agree with Insig about the accents on the repeated E's as a "hammered attack"; I think no articulation might be better than a swarm of accents. (I would say use a different articulation but I'm not sure what else fits here.)
- m1 and m25 primo RH, drag the start of the 8va a little to the left to cover the note.
- Your 8va lines are uncomfortably close to the staff, sometimes to the point of virtually touching (i.e. m70). I would move all of them up a tiny bit; you have some space for it.
- The primo part from m25-40 can be easily played with one hand—perhaps you could bring back the high "twinkling" ostinato from the beginning? It's very quiet and much less prominent from m25-40, but it's there. You could move it an octave up (so as not to overlap with the melody on the piano) and give the staff its own p or pp dynamic marking. (If you want to use separate dynamic markings for staves, you could also indicate the melody with louder dynamics, e.g. in m9.)
All right, so I got this big chunk done, but I'll wait to do the top 2 suggestions. I'm hopin' by Friday I'll get Finale Printmusic so I can take care of those changes.

NineLives

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 17, 2020, 11:38:05 PM- I wish this fit on 10 pages. Wonder if there's anywhere you could incorporate a repeat sign?
- Not sure if you can do this in NotePad but I would suggest increasing the size of the left margin slightly.
I got it to fit on 9 pages now. I wasn't able to move the left margin however.