News:

Need help with Finale? Have a question about arranging? NSM Resources is the place to go!

Main Menu

[PC] Hollow Knight - "City of Tears" by PlayfulPiano

Started by Zeta, September 05, 2019, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Static on February 04, 2020, 07:21:45 PMThe changes you made look good - I went ahead and got everything else for you, along with a few other changes:
- The tempo marking should be in a dotted quarter or dotted 8th value because of time signature - quarter notes aren't the main/default beat grouping in 12/16. (I went with dotted quarters)
- Adjusted some dynamic placements so nothing is touching anything else.
- Adjusted placement of 1st/2nd ending brackets since they were clashing with notes.
- I also changed m117-128 LH to bass clef; I think it works better for this section.
- Bn in m130 LH changed to Cb (chromatic enclosure to the Bb in m131).

If you're satisfied with the changes (see the file here), feel free to edit the sub with this file and I'll accept. If you have any questions about the above or concerns (like if anything I edited didn't carry over since I'm sending you a Finale 2012 file), let me know.

That all looks great! There's just one thing, not your fault but mine, but I took a relisten to the themes, and I realized there was one section that I should honestly include that I didn't before. It's m79-m96, specifically the vocals in the background (more audible in the outside loop vers). I added those additions and have updated the portal, but b/c I was using notepad 2012, I didn't have the means to hide the initial beats for these measures. So I'll need you to hide those on your end.

As long as those additions are fine, then i'm perfectly happy with it getting accepted.

Static

Looks good. I hid those rests for you and did some layer flipping in m93 so it looks a little nicer. I also adjusted the title/page number/copyright text so it's all within the margins. All these changes should be present in the files in the OP now; let me know if there's any issues or anything. With that out of the way, I'll go ahead and give my approval.

PlayfulPiano

Maelstrom

here we go.

Click on m32 to respace it. It's kinda cramped as is, but finale can fix that for you easily
m70 LH - misaligned layer.
I'm not a fan of the hidden rests in the RH when the melody is playing. Yes, there may be notes being played then, but the 2nd layer has nothing.
Center the cresc. and dim. in m39 and 43

m45-74. I really don't like the LH second layer here because it fails to capture the movement of the  bassline like in the original. I get that it was tricky to fit everything in, but it just sounds wrong when the lowest note doesn't move when it does in the original, or even moves in the opposite direction. I understand if you are not able to fully realize this, but I still feel the need to bring it up.

Also, just because a recording from the game just ... ends like that doesn't mean that your version has to as well. Either  try to loop it in a way consistent with the game or add another measure or something to end it like m79 does in the OST version.

I think that's it.

PlayfulPiano

Quote from: Maelstrom on April 23, 2020, 05:09:59 PMhere we go.

Click on m32 to respace it. It's kinda cramped as is, but finale can fix that for you easily
m70 LH - misaligned layer.
I'm not a fan of the hidden rests in the RH when the melody is playing. Yes, there may be notes being played then, but the 2nd layer has nothing.
Center the cresc. and dim. in m39 and 43

m45-74. I really don't like the LH second layer here because it fails to capture the movement of the  bassline like in the original. I get that it was tricky to fit everything in, but it just sounds wrong when the lowest note doesn't move when it does in the original, or even moves in the opposite direction. I understand if you are not able to fully realize this, but I still feel the need to bring it up.

Also, just because a recording from the game just ... ends like that doesn't mean that your version has to as well. Either  try to loop it in a way consistent with the game or add another measure or something to end it like m79 does in the OST version.

I think that's it.
Now that it's saved as an updated version, I can't access it using Finale Allegro 2007, meaning I'm now severely limited on what I can accomplish. If possible, could you potentially make these edits on your end with me dictating the changes here?
These are my changed and/or feedback, in order:

-General formatting fixes, would do.

-This is something I honestly didn't really catch until you pointed it out, but I can't really think of a way to address this without affecting the main melody's position, causing unplayable chords, or involving potential overlap. I do think m45-m52 sounds perfectly fine, though. Do you have any ideas though for m53-m74?

-I was thinking about that last part in my personal performances so I have an idea of what to do. The idea is to end with a D.C. al Coda, put a To Coda between m76 and m77, and have the coda contain m77-78 again with a whole note C2 as the last measure with a Fermata.

Static

I've edited the files in the OP with some improved formatting (unhid some rests that Maelstrom suggested, centered some dynamics, fixed note spacing, etc.). I probably wouldn't have picked that spot for the coda, but hey it works pretty well - I just added a fermata like you said, since it was missing. Regarding mm45-74, I think it's fine the way it is now. If all the chords were in their original inversions, it would be a lot more cumbersome to play in some spots, and I don't really think it sounds bad as it is. That's just me though...

Maelstrom

are you sure I didn't make those changes?

accepted

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Maelstrom.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot