[SNES] Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - "Yoshi's Island" (Replacement) by Latios212

Started by Zeta, September 08, 2019, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Console: Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Title: Yoshi's Island
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Latios212

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latios212

My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Maelstrom

Libera

Pretty good, just a few things:

-Could we line the hyphen up in the middle between pp and mf?  It kind of looks like an underscore at the moment.
-For the repeated bass phrase in bar 7 onwards, it sounds like you're missing notes on beats 2 and 4.  Like this:
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
-Maybe the slurs on the grace notes would look nicer if they attached to the grace above the line, rather than below.
Spoiler
[close]
I think it just helps to visually differentiate them from the tie that way.  But it's not massively important.

Quote from: Maelstrom on September 08, 2019, 06:34:18 PMWow, a .tk  sheet. How many of those are left?

I'd never even heard of .tk before this, so I doubt many.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on September 11, 2019, 03:17:50 PM-Could we line the hyphen up in the middle between pp and mf?  It kind of looks like an underscore at the moment.
Ah yeah, the default positioning is kinda weird. I just split it into three separate dynamics and aligned them visually, which I think looks a lot better

Quote from: Libera on September 11, 2019, 03:17:50 PM-For the repeated bass phrase in bar 7 onwards, it sounds like you're missing notes on beats 2 and 4.  Like this:
Spoiler
[close]
I don't hear this at all. I think beat 1.75 cuts off abruptly leaving a quarter beat of silence before beat 2.25 strikes

Quote from: Libera on September 11, 2019, 03:17:50 PM-Maybe the slurs on the grace notes would look nicer if they attached to the grace above the line, rather than below.
Spoiler
[close]
Great suggestion! I like the look of that a lot better ;D

Updated files with the above!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: Latios212 on September 11, 2019, 04:43:30 PMI don't hear this at all. I think beat 1.75 cuts off abruptly leaving a quarter beat of silence before beat 2.25 strikes

It's definitely there, but if you'd prefer to leave it out as it's less accented then the surrounding bass notes then I'll accept that.  Approved.

Static

• Is there a reason you didn't put an accel. for the repeated section at the beginning? That's what it does in the original.
  • I hear the bassline as this 4-bar repeated pattern, using the JCOM SPC channel splitter. It's basically what Libera said, but with extra grace notes (note that they alternate between Fn and Gn).The grace notes could probably probably be written just as 16ths since it would sound pretty much the same on a piano at this tempo. It's up to you whether you want to include any of this though because you can't really do a ghosted note on piano, so it wouldn't have the same effect.
    Spoiler
    [close]
  • m9 beat 3.75: I would make this note just a touch longer (either tie it or a tenuto or something).

Looks great otherwise!

Latios212

- It's a bit hard to discern where the music actually starts in this song - I can pick out notes played in a free-form sort of fashion starting at around 0:20, but decided to start the sheet at 0:28 where it falls into a rhythmic and melodic pattern, and is more noticeable when listening. So I intend for what's written to be played at tempo. Let me know if you have any other better ideas.
- Hmm, while those notes may be there, they're very subtle and wouldn't transfer well to the piano because they'd distract from the surrounding notes which are much more prevalent. Still would like to keep it as I wrote it because I think that still sounds most accurate from a performance standpoint.
- I see where you're coming from, but there's still a pause between that and the next note and I'm not sure a tenuto would really change much here (it'd also be sort of out of place since this sheet is relatively clear of many articulations. Still let me know if you feel strongly otherwise though.

Thanks for looking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

All fine decisions to me! I'll give this one an Official Static Seal of Acceptance™ now.

Zeta