Series: Super Smash Bros.
Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Console: Nintendo Switch
Title: MEGALOVANIA
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: mastersuperfan

[attachment deleted by admin]

mastersuperfan

Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

LeviR.star

Not a whole lot of work went into re-arranging this track on Toby's part. Then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Maelstrom

I mean it's his 4th variation at this point. The only thing that really changed over the years was the instrumentation.

mikey

Quote from: LeviR.star on September 08, 2019, 12:32:08 PMNot a whole lot of work went into re-arranging this track on Toby's part. Then again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I'm just posting here to make people think oh no when they see my name in an undertale arrangement thread
unmotivated

Static

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 08, 2019, 10:44:49 AM(Accepting suggestions for a tempo expression)
Steady rock tempo

OK time for actual feedback:
  • Composer info should have "Arranged by Toby 'Radiation' Fox" under it.
  • m10 RH: Beam beat 3 together even if it may look weird to you. It looks weirder when its all separated.
  • m12 RH: You can hide all those 2nd layer rests, I mean you already have the first layer flipped and all.
  • m17, 23 RH: Staccatos on the 16th notes? I guess when it's played at tempo its harder to do that, so your choice.
  • m24 RH: A slur across the two half notes would be nice.
  • m33-36 LH: Some of those 16th rests should be moved down to be in line with everything else.
  • m43-46 RH: Having the guitar solo here on the 2nd repeat would be cool (even if it means you'll need a 6th page), we've heard the main part so many times already.
  • You actually will need a 6th page because you cut the loop out too early. There's about 6 measures before it gets back into the Dm-C-G/B-Bb progression in m1 again.

mastersuperfan

For some reason, Finale v26 makes terrible quality PDFs, so I'm currently in the process of redownloading Finale 2014.5.

In the meantime, a lot of changes have been made. Files updated.

EDIT: So it turns out that Finale 2014.5 crashes whenever I try to re-authorize it. When this gets approved, could an updater generate a new PDF from their own version of Finale?

EDIT 2: wait

it suddenly looks good again

never mind
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

Libera

Generally looks pretty good.  A few things from me:

-The credits are a bit cluttered at the moment.  I think it'd be better to just list it as being composed by Toby Fox and give yourself arranger credits since it's clear from the game name that this is the Smash Ultimate version of the piece, not the original.
-The loop needs to be made more clear than it currently is.  The D.S. should probably read 'D.S. first time' and then put a D.C. right at the end of the sheet.  At the moment it's very ambiguous as to what is actually going on (I at first thought that the D.S. had just been misplaced.)
-I think the bottom note in the second chord of bar 22 should be a Bn rather than an An.
-In the guitar solo at bar 49 I think the C on beat 2.75 should be an Ab.
-Is there any reason for spelling beat 1 of bar 3 as a Cb rather than a Bn as you spelt it everywhere else?
-I'd suggest a double barline at the segno, but I know some don't always like it.
-I think that the layering could be a little confusing in bar 12.  In fact, it's pretty much identical to the situation that you pointed out in Gaur Plain.
-The roll markings in bars 26, 30 and 32 could do with a little more space: to get that just add a bit of blank space at the start of each of those bars.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-The credits are a bit cluttered at the moment.  I think it'd be better to just list it as being composed by Toby Fox and give yourself arranger credits since it's clear from the game name that this is the Smash Ultimate version of the piece, not the original.
Quote from: Static on September 16, 2019, 06:03:13 PMComposer info should have "Arranged by Toby 'Radiation' Fox" under it.

Perhaps I could get a third/final opinion on this? Was definitely leaning toward the way you (Libera) suggested when I first submitted it, though, so I've changed it back for now.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-The loop needs to be made more clear than it currently is.  The D.S. should probably read 'D.S. first time' and then put a D.C. right at the end of the sheet.  At the moment it's very ambiguous as to what is actually going on (I at first thought that the D.S. had just been misplaced.)

I changed D.S. to "D.S. on first pass," but I'm hesitant to include a D.C. as well because having a D.S. and D.C. at the same time would make things very confusing as to how they interact, IMO. The looping is definitely something I struggled with when trying to put this sheet together—I personally think having it end on the last measure without a repeat is fine as is, but any further thoughts or opinions would of course be appreciated.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-I think the bottom note in the second chord of bar 22 should be a Bn rather than an An.

I used An at first because I thought it sounded the best, but I went back to check and it is indeed a Bn. Fixed.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-In the guitar solo at bar 49 I think the C on beat 2.75 should be an Ab.

Yeah, that note was weird. After a few more listens, I think I agree with you. Fixed.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-Is there any reason for spelling beat 1 of bar 3 as a Cb rather than a Bn as you spelt it everywhere else?

That was an oopsie.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-I'd suggest a double barline at the segno, but I know some don't always like it.

I went back and forth on this one when I first incorporated the D.S. I decided not to because I felt it would be weird to have a double barline in the middle of a phrase two measures into the arrangement, and also because the segno is at the beginning of the system, but in other cases I might agree with you.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-I think that the layering could be a little confusing in bar 12.  In fact, it's pretty much identical to the situation that you pointed out in Gaur Plain.
Quote from: Static on September 16, 2019, 06:03:13 PMm24 RH: A slur across the two half notes would be nice.

When I incorporated Static's suggestions, I only hid the half rest in the first half because I recognized that hiding the rest would make it look like only one layer. I personally thought that having the eighth and sixteenth rest would be clear enough to show that it belongs to a different layer, but I think the beam direction makes things a bit more confusing than I thought. I don't mind that way, and I think showing the half rest would look weird because of how Layer 1 is flipped. However, I could also flip Layer 1 back upwards (I flipped it in the first place because I felt like awkwardly took up a lot of space pointing upwards).

For now, I've flipped the Layer 1 half note back up and moved the Layer 2 rests up, which may or may not be a good solution.

Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-The roll markings in bars 26, 30 and 32 could do with a little more space: to get that just add a bit of blank space at the start of each of those bars.

Done.

I also added some articulations in m47-49 and deleted the staccato on that one 16th-note A in m11 that isn't as short as the other notes.

Latios212

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 22, 2019, 01:07:23 PM
Quote from: Libera on September 22, 2019, 10:55:11 AM-The credits are a bit cluttered at the moment.  I think it'd be better to just list it as being composed by Toby Fox and give yourself arranger credits since it's clear from the game name that this is the Smash Ultimate version of the piece, not the original.
Quote from: Static on September 16, 2019, 06:03:13 PMComposer info should have "Arranged by Toby 'Radiation' Fox" under it.
Perhaps I could get a third/final opinion on this? Was definitely leaning toward the way you (Libera) suggested when I first submitted it, though, so I've changed it back for now.
My preference is just the composer credits for Toby Fox
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 22, 2019, 01:07:23 PMI changed D.S. to "D.S. on first pass," but I'm hesitant to include a D.C. as well because having a D.S. and D.C. at the same time would make things very confusing as to how they interact, IMO. The looping is definitely something I struggled with when trying to put this sheet together—I personally think having it end on the last measure without a repeat is fine as is, but any further thoughts or opinions would of course be appreciated.

I don't really see how having a DC and a DS is confusing.  They're separate markings that mean different things that don't contradict or really interact with one another.

Another thing: I'm fine with the harmony choices in most places, but the Eb in the dyad in bar 20 doesn't sound like it's in the original and it doesn't fit all that well to me.  If you were copying bits from the original Undertale Megalovania then there is a corresponding Eb there, but it doesn't seem to work that well with the new harmony Toby Fox has used here.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 22, 2019, 01:07:23 PMWhen I incorporated Static's suggestions, I only hid the half rest in the first half because I recognized that hiding the rest would make it look like only one layer. I personally thought that having the eighth and sixteenth rest would be clear enough to show that it belongs to a different layer, but I think the beam direction makes things a bit more confusing than I thought. I don't mind that way, and I think showing the half rest would look weird because of how Layer 1 is flipped. However, I could also flip Layer 1 back upwards (I flipped it in the first place because I felt like awkwardly took up a lot of space pointing upwards).

I'm not entirely sure what the best choice there is then.  Anyone else got a second opinion on this bar?

That should be me done for this sheet after those three things.

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on September 23, 2019, 03:31:33 PMI don't really see how having a DC and a DS is confusing.  They're separate markings that mean different things that don't contradict or really interact with one another.
Agree with this, I think a DC at the end would be nice here.

Quote from: mastersuperfan on September 22, 2019, 01:07:23 PMWhen I incorporated Static's suggestions, I only hid the half rest in the first half because I recognized that hiding the rest would make it look like only one layer. I personally thought that having the eighth and sixteenth rest would be clear enough to show that it belongs to a different layer, but I think the beam direction makes things a bit more confusing than I thought. I don't mind that way, and I think showing the half rest would look weird because of how Layer 1 is flipped. However, I could also flip Layer 1 back upwards (I flipped it in the first place because I felt like awkwardly took up a lot of space pointing upwards).
Quote from: Libera on September 23, 2019, 03:31:33 PMI'm not entirely sure what the best choice there is then.  Anyone else got a second opinion on this bar?
Current approach seems fine to me. It's clear enough and free of clutter.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

mastersuperfan

Added the D.C. and changed the Eb in m20 to a Dn. Files updated.

Libera

Awesome!  I just fixed your articulations because of v26, and now we're good to go: accepting!