News:

Iron gates are a thing of the past! Now, you can access your yard with the all-new NinSheetMusic-brand Teleportation Technology!

Main Menu

[WiiU] Super Mario 3D World - "Sprixie Kingdom" by amc

Started by Zeta, September 18, 2019, 07:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeta

Submission Information:

Series: Super Mario
Game: Super Mario 3D World
Console: Wii U
Title: Sprixie Kingdom
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: amc

[attachment deleted by admin]

amc

Dropped my phone in McDonald's sprite and that mf started charging

Latios212

Couple of quick thoughts as I peek at this one:
- Beginning could use a low B flat instead of a rest
- I think in some places leaving the actual timing a bit looser and instructing the player to make use of rubato would be more appropriate than writing out explicit note lengths. E.g. m. 30/32/40 could be written using a fermata.
- Watch your direction placements in m. 19 to make sure they don't overlap
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

• m6 RH: Missing high F on beat 4.5.
  • m14-15: Consider revoicing the LH instead of making it just the RH but lowered an octave. I would personally recommend including the original bassline here and moving the RH down an octave.
  • m18: Fermatas should be flipped.
  • m27-28: Some intervals are inconsistent. Since this part is just a bunch of planed diminished chords, you should keep the same intervals between the notes by using different accidentals.
  • m29: Pedal marking is touching the note.
  • m31-32: Should be swing eighths. Rhythm in m32 is incorrect, should be 8th-quarter-8th in both hands. The upbeat chords in the LH and the last chord in m32 is missing a few notes.
  • Beaming is inconsistent overall (compare m2 to m5, m53 RH and LH, etc.). It's up to you how you want to organize the notes, but make sure it stays the same throughout the piece.
  • m37, 45, 51 RH: Since the 2nd layer is hidden and the first layer is flipped to normal on beats 1-2, the staccato markings should also be flipped.
  • All key changes need double barlines before them.
  • You have "Animated" at the very beginning, so why don't you have other style markings later on? This is a piece that could really use them since there's a lot of sudden style changes.

amc

Static

Looks much nicer now! I have a few more things though:

• I think I might have messed you up with the fermatas, sorry; to be clear they should either all be above a staff, or below for the LH only (so its opposite on each hand). So the RH fermatas in m14 and 39 should be flipped up, but its up to you whether you want those measures to look like m31. It should be consistent across the entire sheet though.
  • m17-19: All those dynamic markings, including the crescendo, should be moved down so they aren't so close to the notes.
  • m22, 25 LH: The "3" in the triplet is clashing with the slur.
  • Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 06:22:10 PMm27-28: Some intervals are inconsistent. Since this part is just a bunch of planed diminished chords, you should keep the same intervals between the notes by using different accidentals.
    RH m28 needs a few additional adjustments (from left to right): En to Fb, Dn to Ebb, C# to Db, Bn to Cb. This keeps the constant minor 3rd intervals consistent.
  • Those staccatos in m34, 36, 41, and 43 should be flipped since there's nothing in the 2nd layer on beats 1-2 there.
  • Quote from: Static on September 26, 2019, 06:22:10 PMAll key changes need double barlines before them.
  • m49: The slur on the grace note should be moved a bit so it doesn't run into the accent (or move the accent up and leave the slur alone).

amc

Static

Quote from: amc on October 13, 2019, 12:22:29 PMI've updated, sorry for taking so long.
It's all good, there's no rush!

It looks like you didn't catch everything I said in my post above:
  • RH fermatas should be up, LH fermatas can be either, but keep it consistent across the sheet.
  • The RH staccatos in measures 36 and 43 (beats 1-2) should be below the notes since the 2nd layer is empty and hidden there. Because of how Finale works with articulations and layers, you will have to manually drag these staccatos instead of flipping them automatically.
  • All key changes need double barlines where they occur.

The other stuff that you did fix looks good.

Latios212

Quote from: Static on October 17, 2019, 07:29:41 PMAll key changes need double barlines where they occur.
I think this is just the new version of Finale being weird... the PDF has them

Besides the other stuff Static said, a last few things to add:
- I think the chords in m. 6 should be inverted up (Ab on top instead of bottom).
- Move the slur up slightly in m. 22 so it doesn't collide with the 3.
- The descending triads in m. 27-28 are very muddy and also a bit difficult to play at that speed. I'd suggest removing the middle note of each, since that pitch is octave doubled by the right hand anyway so you wouldn't be losing anything harmonically.
- m. 38, 47, 53 have beat 1 in the LH flipped.
- Unlike m. 36, the bass moves down a whole step in m. 43 beat 4 from D to C
- I'd recommend moving the top layer rests up in m. 48 to separate them from the lower layer more. Similarly, you can put the lower layer rests back on the staff at normal height since the to player is entirely above the staff.
- Bass in m. 49 sounds like it descends F-Fb-Eb-Db instead of F-F-Bb-Bb
- Flip tie in m. 50 down away from the top layer

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

amc

Hi, I've updated. The key changes should have double bars now.

Latios212

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Looks great now! I think the reason I had to repeat myself so much was because of the different Finale version I'm using (like Latios said), sorry about that. Anyway, I have a few more comments:
  • m30 beat 2 RH, m36, 43, 44, 45 beat 4 RH: The F#s should be Gbs since it's a chromatic descent (it's OK if there's a Gb and Gn at the same time in these cases).
  • m31: The rhythm should be 8th-quarter-8th. The last bass note should be a G instead of B, so you should probably add the B to the RH to keep the harmony clear.

amc

Static

Yep, everything checks out. I'll be accepting this one now.

Zeta

This submission has been accepted by Static.

~Zeta, your friendly NSM-Bot