News:

Local man invests life savings into turnips. When asked whether it was a wise decision he responded, "Eh. I'm sure someone will buy them."

Main Menu

Halloween 2k19 Update

Started by Latios212, October 01, 2019, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 02:41:55 PMFire Emblem Heroes - Serious 6
I've went over this with you privately before, so approving!

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 02:41:55 PMXenoblade Chronicles 2 - Land of Morytha
- Wow this is is a beautiful song, never made it this far in game...
- There's a dotted half rest instead of a full measure rest in the first measure for some reason
- How about a new louder dynamic at m. 22? It's definitely got more punch than the previous 4 measures
- I think the Bn in m. 26/28 would make more sense as a Cb
- m. 47, 48 - you could condense the quarter+eighth rests into a dotted quarter rest.
- I'm not hearing measure 8 in the original.

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 02:41:55 PMFire Emblem: Three Houses - A Dark Sign
- m. 24-25 - Eb instead of D#? (Cm/maj7 chord)
- That's all! Great sheet.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Everything should be fixed!  Apart from

Quote from: Latios212 on October 06, 2019, 03:12:24 PM- m. 47, 48 - you could condense the quarter+eighth rests into a dotted quarter rest.

I just like writing them out this way, unless it gets super messy I don't think it's a problem.

Thanks for checking! (and having checked in the past!)  I've updated the dropbox.

Static

More feedback:

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
- That last 16th note in m15 LH is not actually there, otherwise this is great.

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Dwelling of Doom
- To emphasize the change in feel in m11-12, I would put some accents on the 3rd and 9th 8th notes of each bar.
- Like m10 beat 4, beats 2-3 of m14 get suddenly loud. Some more accents or an sff marking would be my choices.

Zeila - Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma - Bad End
- m5 RH: Tie is touching a note.
- m6 RH: l.h. marking is touching the note.
- m17-24 LH: Interesting choice to use the middle voice as the bassline, but I think it works. In any case, it's more interesting as a solo piano arrangement than just F.

Maelstrom - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Dracula's Castle
- Pretty much all of those dotted 8th-dotted 8th-8th rhythms should be quarter note triplets.
- m22 RH beat 3: That C should be a B natural, so probably put a courtesy flat on the Bb.
- m46 RH: If any chord in this piece needs the 3rd written, it's this one. That D natural is super distinctive and completely changes the cadence of that section.

Latios - Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Lavender Town
- There are some spots where that high mallet/bell might be good to include, like the last measure, but otherwise really nice. Approved.

Latios - Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! - Cubone's Mother
- m1 RH beat 3: Missing arpeggio marking.
- m4 beat 3: A fermata here would be nice.

Latios - Doki Doki Literature Club! - Daijoubu!
- The slurs in m31 and 34 are kinda odd, maybe flatten them out a bit. Otherwise, looks good.

Latios - Octopath Traveler - Requiem for the Fallen
- Courtesy An for the LH in m4 would be nice too.

Latios - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Battle (Second Half)
- Looks good, I approve.

Th3Gavst3r - Pokémon Gold/Silver - Ruins of Alph
Looks great, accepted.

Th3Gavst3r - Pokémon Gold/Silver - Union Cave
- m18, 19 LH: Those Bs would be better written as A#s in this case.

Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Cemetery
- m12 LH beat 4: One of these naturals should be hidden.
- m13-20: I really don't like the 8va in the middle, but trying to write this in treble clef looks much worse lol. This is probably the best it can look.
- m20: Maybe a courtesy accidental for the first Fn in the LH.

Libera - Drakengard - Seventh Chapter - In the Sky
- m1-4: These are all maj7#11 chords, with the #11th on the bottom. So, the bass should be Fx, D#, E#, B#. Also, the maj7 is missing from m1 and 3. Basically, those measures should all be the same but transposed.
- In general, you voice all these chords all sorts of ways throughout the piece, but it never actually changes from the m1-4 voicing  (until m34).
- A lot of what gives the m34 section its edge is the odd bassline that makes some really interesting chords with the constant RH chords. You should try to include that while using the tremolo rhythms you already have in the LH.

Libera - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - The Dream is Over
- I would definitely use a nice big low octave C for m13-14 (tied so you can still play the layer 1 stuff at 14). The original sounds so full and bass-y. at that spot.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMLevi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
- That last 16th note in m15 LH is not actually there, otherwise this is great.

- To emphasize the change in feel in m11-12, I would put some accents on the 3rd and 9th 8th notes of each bar.
- Like m10 beat 4, beats 2-3 of m14 get suddenly loud. Some more accents or an sff marking would be my choices.

- got it, changed to a single 8th note. Hope that's what you wanted

- that makes sense. Consider it done
- changed that (I assume you meant beats 3-4), and changed the subito forte in m. 10 to a sf to match

Updated the files, good sir.

Also, I've got a request.
Can we make my "Bloody Tears" sheet an entirely new replacement? I only labeled it as an edit replacement because a lot of stuff from Maxime Laprade's on-site sheet was similar to mine, but that sheet's been around for ages; no doubt someone years ago made a quiet/anonymous edit to re-do it from scratch, and given that it's so old, it was likely with good reason. My sheet was worked from the ground up; can we just call it a challenge replacement? I have already replaced/made replacements for all of Jimbabwe's sheets in the section, anyway.
[close]
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Static

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
- Looks good, I'll approve now.
- Age doesn't really factor into these kinds of decisions, but if this is 100% from scratch, then I'll go ahead and update it with just your name.

- Yeah I did mean b3-4 sorry. Also, for the record, s(dynamic) and subito (dynamic) mean the same thing. Just in case you didn't know. Looks great, approved.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 05:58:16 PMLevi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Bloody Tears
- Looks good, I'll approve now.
- Age doesn't really factor into these kinds of decisions, but if this is 100% from scratch, then I'll go ahead and update it with just your name.

- Yeah I did mean b3-4 sorry. Also, for the record, s(dynamic) and subito (dynamic) mean the same thing. Just in case you didn't know. Looks great, approved.

Great. I just updated my "Bloody Tears" sheet again with modified arranger information, as well as some playability changes in the last two measures.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Zeila

Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PMZeila - Fire Emblem: Awakening - Id (Dilemma)
- A lot of these chords are Edim9 chords, so the A#s and C#s would be better written as Bbs and Dbs (m2, 4, 6, etc. through m12).
I left the grace notes alone but if it's better to add a cautionary accidental to the D natural in m8 and/or change the A# to a Bb in m10 then I can change that too

Quote from: Static on October 04, 2019, 05:56:37 PM- That run in m18 sounds like it sounds after the chord in the LH plays; maybe indicate this by starting with a tied note (to the previous measure) or a rest.
I left it that way because the B is also part of the chord that the LH part plays and since it was shared between both hands I decided to leave it on beat 1, but I'll just leave out the B from the chord and have the run be delayed

Thanks for checking both of my arrangements! I updated both and also finished editing the other ones I planned on submitting

Id (Dilemma) | Bad End | The King of Hyrule's Wish | Team Skull | Team Skull Admin | Team Skull Boss

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 06, 2019, 09:17:05 PMGreat. I just updated my "Bloody Tears" sheet again with modified arranger information, as well as some playability changes in the last two measures.
Cool, everything has been updated.

Quote from: Zeila on October 07, 2019, 10:27:40 AMI left the grace notes alone but if it's better to add a cautionary accidental to the D natural in m8 and/or change the A# to a Bb in m10 then I can change that too
Grace notes look fine to me. Usually you should use the note letter name below the main note, which is what you did in every case. The accidental in m8 isn't really that necessary I don't think.

Quote from: Zeila on October 07, 2019, 10:27:40 AMI left it that way because the B is also part of the chord that the LH part plays and since it was shared between both hands I decided to leave it on beat 1, but I'll just leave out the B from the chord and have the run be delayed
Ah yeah. Alright then, looks good.

This one gets my seal of approval (and Bad End looks good too).
Quote from: Zeila on October 07, 2019, 10:27:40 AMThanks for checking both of my arrangements! I updated both and also finished editing the other ones I planned on submitting
No problem!

Latios212

Quote from: Libera on October 06, 2019, 03:28:47 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 06, 2019, 03:12:24 PM- m. 47, 48 - you could condense the quarter+eighth rests into a dotted quarter rest.
I just like writing them out this way, unless it gets super messy I don't think it's a problem.
It's up to you, but here 12/8 is just indicative of four beats of a dotted quarter's length so it makes sense to show a dotted rest to indicate it's one beat of rest. It would also make the downbeat of 2 clearer. Anyway...

Libera - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Land of Morytha
Libera - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A Dark Sign
- Approved!

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMLatios - Octopath Traveler - Requiem for the Fallen
- Courtesy An for the LH in m4 would be nice too.
Sure, I guess I can do that, updated

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMLatios - Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Lavender Town
- There are some spots where that high mallet/bell might be good to include, like the last measure, but otherwise really nice. Approved.
Yeah, I wanted to focus on the main melodic layers here and I didn't think there was sufficient room to add the high notes besides 19-20. They're a nice addition to the song but aren't essential enough to prioritize here I feel.

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMLatios - Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! - Cubone's Mother
- m1 RH beat 3: Missing arpeggio marking.
- m4 beat 3: A fermata here would be nice.

- The slurs in m31 and 34 are kinda odd, maybe flatten them out a bit. Otherwise, looks good.
Good catches, updated these, thanks for looking!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Latios212

Quote from: Zeila on October 07, 2019, 10:27:40 AMThe King of Hyrule's Wish
- m. 13 - don't hear the Eb's in the RH?
- m. 19 - beat 3 dyad should be inverted down (the Bb is below the F)
- Needs more dynamic direction leading up to m. 26
- Not really sure I hear where the chord in m. 27-28 is coming from?
- The chord in m. 33 is distinctly rooted in a low Ab at the bottom. I'd suggest inverting downwards to capture that. Conversely I'm not convinced about the octave in the last measure...
- I'm not sure it makes sense to change to 6/4 between m. 30-31. If you want to reflect the longer phrases that's fine but the previous few measures should probably also be in 6/4.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Th3Gavst3r

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMTh3Gavst3r - Pokémon Gold/Silver - Union Cave
- m18, 19 LH: Those Bs would be better written as A#s in this case.
Changed the Bb's in m18 and m20 to A#'s (made sure this is what you meant ;))

Quote from: Static on October 06, 2019, 03:42:40 PMTh3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Cemetery
- m12 LH beat 4: One of these naturals should be hidden.
Turns out Finale's .mus exporter is broken... I fixed the file by manually adjusting it in Notepad *shudder*
Also added that courtesy accidental

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 05, 2019, 07:54:19 PMI have a few sheet ready now, with a couple more Cave Story ones still in progress.

[MUL] Cave Story

Cemetery

[GBC] Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version

Ruins of Alph
Union Cave

Static

Feedback time, round 3:

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Last Boss
- Tempo should be in quarter notes; this is a fast rock beat not a slow Latin groove.

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Message of Darkness
- You could put that chromatic line in m5-6 and it would still be very playable. If you don't want to, that's fine too.

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Within These Castle Walls
- Looks good, approved.

Levi - Super Mario 3D World - Castle
- While that 32nd note thing in m11 is technically correct, it looks off compared to the sleekness of the rest of the sheet. There's a better way to write this: using slashed grace notes (the slash means that the grace notes should be plays on beat instead of before (also known as acciaccatura)). Finale does this as a default for all single grace notes, but automatically removes the slash when you add more than one. There are two ways you can do this (thanks Bespinben for the easy way):
- Easy way: Go here and download "JW Grace Note Slash, v1.03", more detailed instructions are on that site. If you're using v25 or later, then there's a separate download here.
- Hard way: Add a line (make an articulation or just use one of the SmartShape lines or something). It won't change the playback, so you might want to add a hidden 3rd staff with the correct playback, like how it's currently written.
- m11 RH: That Ab and Eb should be G# and D# (this stays consistent with the b2-M3 in the scale, even with the 4th underneath).
- m19 RH: Ab should be G# (Eb9 chord, yes I know it's weird).

Levi - Deltarune - The Circus
- Looks good, accepted.

Levi - Castlevania Legends - Prologue
- m4 RH beat 4: Contrary to what you had before and what Latios said, there is an A here and it's rearticulated.
- m16, 18 RH: There's no need to have the 1st layer rests so high up, there's nothing in the way.

Zeila - Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle! (Team Skull)
- m12-13 should be spelled with flats like m16-17 (same interval/chord structure).
- The systems on pages 3-4 should be spaced apart more to be more even with page 2.

Zeila - Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle! (Team Skull Admin)
- I think using 8va is preferred for m3-9 RH, but personally I'm fine with 15ma since it's used commonly enough that most people know what it means.
- m27-38 LH: Any Db, Eb, or Ab should be C#, D#, or G# (they act as major 3rds in this section).

Zeila - Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle! (Team Skull Boss)
- m16: I would probably spell that Bb as an A# (consistent intervals between 15-16 and 17-18, and also doesn't interfere with the LH  chords).
- m19-22: This is a really weird section... It sounds right to me? I think. Another updater(s) should probably look this over too.
- I would space out the systems on page 3 to be more even with page 2.

Latios - Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver - Lavender Town
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2019, 04:03:52 PMYeah, I wanted to focus on the main melodic layers here and I didn't think there was sufficient room to add the high notes besides 19-20. They're a nice addition to the song but aren't essential enough to prioritize here I feel.
Makes sense to me.

Latios - Octopath Traveler - Requiem of the Fallen
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2019, 04:03:52 PMSure, I guess I can do that, updated
Cool, accepted.

Latios - Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee! - Cubone's Mother
Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2019, 04:03:52 PMGood catches, updated these, thanks for looking!
Yep, no problem! Both have been approved.

Th3Gavst3r - Pokémon Gold/Silver - Union Cave
- Looks great, accepted.

Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Cemetery
- Also looks great, approved.

Libera - Fire Emblem Heroes - Serious 6
- m28 LH: D# should be Eb like m26.

Libera - Fire Emblem: Three Houses - A Dark Sign
- m20 LH: A courtesy natural for the Dn would be nice.

Libera - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Land of Morytha
- m29, 31 RH beat 4: The Bb restrikes here.

LeviR.star

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2019, 08:07:33 PMLevi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Last Boss
- Tempo should be in quarter notes; this is a fast rock beat not a slow Latin groove.

Levi - Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - Message of Darkness
- You could put that chromatic line in m5-6 and it would still be very playable. If you don't want to, that's fine too.

Levi - Castlevania Legends - Prologue
- m4 RH beat 4: Contrary to what you had before and what Latios said, there is an A here and it's rearticulated.
- m16, 18 RH: There's no need to have the 1st layer rests so high up, there's nothing in the way.

- got it, changed to ♩ = 230

- I know I can, but that chromatic line is still in the last two measures, where it not be played with the main line. Would that disrupt the feel? Or no?

- I knew I should have re-transcribed this. Fixed
- how's that? They're a little close to some of the notes, but they should be fine, I think

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2019, 08:07:33 PMLevi - Super Mario 3D World - Castle
- While that 32nd note thing in m11 is technically correct, it looks off compared to the sleekness of the rest of the sheet. There's a better way to write this: using slashed grace notes (the slash means that the grace notes should be plays on beat instead of before (also known as acciaccatura)). Finale does this as a default for all single grace notes, but automatically removes the slash when you add more than one. There are two ways you can do this (thanks Bespinben for the easy way):
- Easy way: Go here and download "JW Grace Note Slash, v1.03", more detailed instructions are on that site. If you're using v25 or later, then there's a separate download here.
- Hard way: Add a line (make an articulation or just use one of the SmartShape lines or something). It won't change the playback, so you might want to add a hidden 3rd staff with the correct playback, like how it's currently written.
- m11 RH: That Ab and Eb should be G# and D# (this stays consistent with the b2-M3 in the scale, even with the 4th underneath).
- m19 RH: Ab should be G# (Eb9 chord, yes I know it's weird).

It's getting a little late where I am; I'll look into this some time tomorrow, but the rest of the files have been updated.

Static

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 07, 2019, 09:02:39 PM- got it, changed to ♩ = 230
Great, approved.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 07, 2019, 09:02:39 PM- I know I can, but that chromatic line is still in the last two measures, where it not be played with the main line. Would that disrupt the feel? Or no?
That's up to you. I think it sounds just fine the way it is, so I'll approve.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 07, 2019, 09:02:39 PM- I knew I should have re-transcribed this. Fixed
- how's that? They're a little close to some of the notes, but they should be fine, I think
Yep, looks good.

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2019, 05:24:15 PM- Not really sure I hear where the chord in m. 27-28 is coming from?
It sounded really weird to me and I likely imagined the D, but I still hear an Ab as a root and a C from some other instrument. The F was from the part that plays the same thing in m29, but listening to it again I hear an E and G too. Honestly I'll just take your word (or someone else's) word for whatever the notes are for these two measures. It sounds like m29-30 has a Gm7 chord so if that's the same as m27-28 then I can change it

Quote from: Latios212 on October 07, 2019, 05:24:15 PM- I'm not sure it makes sense to change to 6/4 between m. 30-31. If you want to reflect the longer phrases that's fine but the previous few measures should probably also be in 6/4.
I'll just keep it in 3/4

Quote from: Static on October 07, 2019, 08:07:33 PMZeila - Pokémon Sun & Moon - Battle! (Team Skull Admin)
- I think using 8va is preferred for m3-9 RH, but personally I'm fine with 15ma since it's used commonly enough that most people know what it means.
I'll leave it as 15ma for space reasons, but if someone feels strongly about using 8va instead then I can change it

I updated all 4 sheets, thanks! Here are the links for convenience:
The King of Hyrule's Wish | Team Skull | Team Skull Admin | Team Skull Boss

edit: ok this is the full post now