News:

NinSheetMusic is the LARGEST video game sheet music archive on the entire internet worldwide!

Main Menu

Halloween 2k19 Update

Started by Latios212, October 01, 2019, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2019, 01:07:28 PMCode_Name_Geek - Spirit's Eve Festival
- Wow, this is a really weird pulse...
- Aha but the second chord in m. 7 is an E7; it should have D instead of E in the right hand.
- Switch layers in m. 30/34 so that the tie correctly cancels out the G# accidental.
- I think the last chord should be inverted down once.
Done! The layers in m. 30/34 was the only way I could get it to look the way I wanted, but I went ahead and hid the redundant accidental, hope that's good enough! I also fixed a note in m. 25 (I had it the same as m.22 when in reality it should match m. 18).

I did realize something weird about this piece, however: the official soundtrack version and the version that plays in-game have slightly different loop points (in the OST version, it skips the intro on the repeat while it's a straight repeat in-game). I'm more inclined to go off the in-game version personally, which I've changed the files to reflect, but a second opinion on this would be much appreciated! Unless there's some way to reflect both versions (as an optional D.S. or something)?

Updated files: [MUSX] [MUS] [PDF] [MIDI]

LeviR.star

Yug, I have some ideas for your "Simon Belmont's Theme" sheet that may or may not apply:

- I'm guilty of 8vbs in my sheets, too, but in this sheet (in my opinion), the LH extends too low that it loses its power and sounds "muddy". I'm not trying to criticize your transcription (because that is the right octave in the original), but for the people that will be playing this, I imagine most of them will playing on pianos with lower registers that don't even sound as nice as the MIDI. I don't know if someone told you to lower the LH an octave in these places, but this is just my two cents

- measure 25's 2/4 bar of percussion is such a cool part of the song (stuff just like it is littered all over classic Castlevania OSTs), and when translated to piano, I think it feels like an awkward silence when there's nothing written to substitute it. I believe that the performer should have the opportunity to keep this energy going through an optional written percussion part for the hands/feet, not unlike Latios and Mael's "DK Island Swing" replacement, or what I wrote for my "Basement Melodies" sheet from Haunted Castle (which had its OST done by Castlevania II's composer!)

You cannot view this attachment.

Again, not saying you have to, and I won't get offended if you don't try these ideas, so take all of this with a grain of salt.
Check out my Youtube channel for remixes and original music! LeviR.star's Remixes

Also check out my piano arrangements here on my PA thread! LeviR.star's Arrangements

Latios212

Quote from: Code_Name_Geek on October 21, 2019, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2019, 01:07:28 PMCode_Name_Geek - Spirit's Eve Festival
- Wow, this is a really weird pulse...
- Aha but the second chord in m. 7 is an E7; it should have D instead of E in the right hand.
- Switch layers in m. 30/34 so that the tie correctly cancels out the G# accidental.
- I think the last chord should be inverted down once.
Done! The layers in m. 30/34 was the only way I could get it to look the way I wanted, but I went ahead and hid the redundant accidental, hope that's good enough! I also fixed a note in m. 25 (I had it the same as m.22 when in reality it should match m. 18).

I did realize something weird about this piece, however: the official soundtrack version and the version that plays in-game have slightly different loop points (in the OST version, it skips the intro on the repeat while it's a straight repeat in-game). I'm more inclined to go off the in-game version personally, which I've changed the files to reflect, but a second opinion on this would be much appreciated! Unless there's some way to reflect both versions (as an optional D.S. or something)?

Updated files: [MUSX] [MUS] [PDF] [MIDI]
m. 30/34 are fine now, but for next time you can easily flip layers and ties no matter what layer they're in. Feel free to ask for help if you don't know how.
For the looping, I'll leave it up to you on how you want to present it. Your current approach seems fine to me.
Accepting!

Yug_Guy - Intermission from DOOM [E2M3]
Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 20, 2019, 02:40:55 PMNot sure what I could do for 68+ since it's mainly a hi-hat driving the rhythm there.
Some rhythmic tapping for the other line, perhaps - that's a pretty cool rhythm going on right there. Something to save it from the incredible dullness it currently looks like.

Trasdegi - Portentousness
Quote from: Trasdegi on October 20, 2019, 12:48:52 PMThanks for the feedback! Files updated with some tuplets and cross-staff notation. I hope I did this right...
No prob. Couple more things before the nitty-gritty of note checking:
- Distribution makes the first system extremely squished. I know you're limited with Notepad, but if I help format this for you I would highly recommend using a repeat around the first four bars (if applicable) or using 2 pages otherwise.
- Might want to have another look at the accidentals in the second half. Can definitely try to assist when checking but it looks like some parts could be written a little better.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Code_Name_Geek

Quote from: Latios212 on October 21, 2019, 04:13:50 PMm. 30/34 are fine now, but for next time you can easily flip layers and ties no matter what layer they're in. Feel free to ask for help if you don't know how.
For the looping, I'll leave it up to you on how you want to present it. Your current approach seems fine to me.
Accepting!
Got it, I'll ask next time! And I'm happy with the loop the way it is. Thanks! :)

Trasdegi

Quote from: Latios212 on October 21, 2019, 04:13:50 PMTrasdegi - PortentousnessNo prob. Couple more things before the nitty-gritty of note checking:
- Distribution makes the first system extremely squished. I know you're limited with Notepad, but if I help format this for you I would highly recommend using a repeat around the first four bars (if applicable) or using 2 pages otherwise.
- Might want to have another look at the accidentals in the second half. Can definitely try to assist when checking but it looks like some parts could be written a little better.

Thanks! Having only the first system written with a repeat seemed strange, so I did the same for the second as well. Files updated.

Zeila

Quote from: Libera on October 19, 2019, 01:41:13 PMZeila - Id (Dilemma)
-Might I suggest a different distribution?  At the moment the whole sheet is on default bars per system and default staff size, which has the effect of making everything look a bit clumsy.  I mocked up something like this with 0.65cm staff size (the best ;) ) and I tried to spread things out across the two pages a little more consistently (4-5).
Spoiler
[close]
Sure, but I changed it to a 0.7cm staff size

Quote from: Libera on October 19, 2019, 01:41:13 PM-Perhaps some sort of articulation like 'freely' above the bits with the really crazy rhythms (bar 25 onwards, really), just to let the performer know not to get too bogged down in the precise rhythms etc.  Your call though, as I think the rhythms are pretty accurate at the moment.
I decided to put Freely at the beginning since the melody is slightly loose from the start anyways, although if it is contradictory with a tempo marking then I can just put the freely marking on page 2

Quote from: Libera on October 19, 2019, 01:41:13 PM-I actually disagree with Static about your accidentals in the beginning section.  All of those chords look like F#7 in third inversion to me (or just F# on it's own) so I think that A# and C# are the correct ways to spell these chords.  You even have the perfectly analogous Dm followed by E7/D in bars 13-14 which is just exactly the same thing but in Dm rather than Em (and the spellings there are as I am suggesting already!).  In that case, I might be inclined to put a courtesy natural on the An in bar 6, but it's not really necessary since the key signature is literally right next to it.
Okay, I'm sold. I also put a courtesy accidental on the An in measure 9.

Quote from: Libera on October 19, 2019, 01:41:13 PM-Another thing about accidentals: the final chord of the piece is an Ebm chord, but it doesn't look that way because of how it's spelt.  I'd suggest changing the F#s to Gbs and the Gns to Abbs, or alternatively changing to sharps in bar 37 (essentially modulating early) and then writing the Ebs and Bbs as D#s and A#s and then you'll end on a D#m chord.  I think the second option is probably the more preferable, but see what you think anyway.

Weird piece, but nice job!
I'll go with the second option, thanks!

Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2019, 02:41:44 PMZeila - Battle (Team Skull)
- I'm hearing m. 39 and 47 beat 4 as a chromatic approach to the next measure - G#-D# for m. 39 and En-Bn for 47.
I'm assuming you meant it for m35 and m43, but if you really did mean m39 and 47 then I don't hear it at all

Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2019, 02:41:44 PM- Not really sure I follow the melody in m. 52-55? I'm hearing something like parallel fifths below what you have written
I can somewhat hear parallel fifths under it, but what I wrote stands out more to me. Maybe it's just because I'm wearing earphones which make it harder to hear lower notes, but I'm going to leave it the way it is unless someone else agrees with you. I did change the last note of m54 from an Eb to an Ab though. Anyways, thanks for looking it over!

Id (Dilemma) | Team Skull

Libera

Zeila - Id (Dilemma)

Static - The Park

Both of these look great; the first is accepted, and the second is approved!

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Latios212 on October 21, 2019, 04:13:50 PMSome rhythmic tapping for the other line, perhaps - that's a pretty cool rhythm going on right there. Something to save it from the incredible dullness it currently looks like.
I suppose tapping on off-beats should work? It's something.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 21, 2019, 02:02:28 PM- I'm guilty of 8vbs in my sheets, too, but in this sheet (in my opinion), the LH extends too low that it loses its power and sounds "muddy". I'm not trying to criticize your transcription (because that is the right octave in the original), but for the people that will be playing this, I imagine most of them will playing on pianos with lower registers that don't even sound as nice as the MIDI. I don't know if someone told you to lower the LH an octave in these places, but this is just my two cents
To be fair, the bass in the original sounds pretty muddy as well. I figure with the 8va not everyone will play it; luckily the 8va makes it easier the play an octave higher if that's what they want to do.

Quote from: LeviR.star on October 21, 2019, 02:02:28 PM- measure 25's 2/4 bar of percussion is such a cool part of the song (stuff just like it is littered all over classic Castlevania OSTs), and when translated to piano, I think it feels like an awkward silence when there's nothing written to substitute it. I believe that the performer should have the opportunity to keep this energy going through an optional written percussion part for the hands/feet, not unlike Latios and Mael's "DK Island Swing" replacement, or what I wrote for my "Basement Melodies" sheet from Haunted Castle.
I suppose you're right there - I put some percussion in for that 2/4 bar.

QuoteDoom [PC]
"Intermission from DOOM [E2M3]"MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal
Super Castlevania IV [SNES]
"Simon Belmont's Theme"MUSMUSXMIDIPDFOriginal

Latios212

Quote from: Zeila on October 23, 2019, 02:33:00 PM
Quote from: Latios212 on October 19, 2019, 02:41:44 PMZeila - Battle (Team Skull)
- I'm hearing m. 39 and 47 beat 4 as a chromatic approach to the next measure - G#-D# for m. 39 and En-Bn for 47.
I'm assuming you meant it for m35 and m43, but if you really did mean m39 and 47 then I don't hear it at all
Ah sorry if that wasn't clear. I did mean those measures and I was referring to the last quarter note dyad being different pitches, not substituting a chromatic run. I don't recommend having the 32nd notes.

Quote from: Yug_Guy on October 23, 2019, 03:40:42 PMI suppose tapping on off-beats should work? It's something.
Talked privately, but I would have liked to get the 16th note bass drum rhythm in to generate some rhythmic interest. But if you don't want to that's fine and I'll accept.

I'll see if I can get to the Castlevania one shortly.
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Some more feedback:

Libera - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Land of Morytha
Quote from: Libera on October 19, 2019, 02:36:53 PMHmm, ok I can add in those Bbs.  About the second thing though, if you listen you can hear more of those sorts of notes in other places (not just the two you mentioned) and I didn't (and still don't) think that any of them are worth including really.  They're very much in the background, and they're playing harmony that we already have from other parts so I think it's better to keep the lines intact.  I've put up a new file.
Alright, that makes sense. I'll accept.

Latios - Pokémon Yellow Version - Jesse & James Appear
Some of the accidentals threw me off at first, but they make sense in context. Good.

Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Halloween 2
- m8, 36, 40: I think Bbbs should be A naturals. These look like Cm6 chords with the A on the bottom.

Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Zombie
On the repeat of m5-8 of the original, some extra percussion joins in. I think you could represent that with some extra LH 2nd layer notes or something.

Libera - Metroid Fusion - VS. Nightmare
- Game title seems a bit close to the track title.
- Accents and 8vas are clashing throughout.
- Keychange needs double barline.
- This is kinda nitpicky, but the LH rests on page 2 should at the same alignment of the ones on page 1.

I'll be back later tonight to take a look at Portentousness.

Libera

Quote from: Static on October 25, 2019, 12:43:50 PM- Game title seems a bit close to the track title.
Sure, I moved it down one pip.
Quote from: Static on October 25, 2019, 12:43:50 PM- Accents and 8vas are clashing throughout.
All the accents are hidden, I just put it in for playback purposes as sometimes the upper registers don't come through clearly.
Quote from: Static on October 25, 2019, 12:43:50 PM- Keychange needs double barline.
I keep forgetting that older finale doesn't have automatic double barlines at key changes.  It should look right for you now, but it was already there in the pdf.
Quote from: Static on October 25, 2019, 12:43:50 PM- This is kinda nitpicky, but the LH rests on page 2 should at the same alignment of the ones on page 1.
Fixed!

Thanks for giving it a look.  The new file is up.

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on October 23, 2019, 04:53:51 PMAh sorry if that wasn't clear. I did mean those measures and I was referring to the last quarter note dyad being different pitches, not substituting a chromatic run. I don't recommend having the 32nd notes.
Ah ok, I changed the 32nd notes to sixteenth notes and updated the dyads here

Libera

Static - Kirby Mass Attack - Vast Darkness

-I think it's slightly misleading to not include the drum cue at the start, especially due to the way that it interacts with the repeat.
-Some of the tenuto paired with non-tenuto quavers you have in the left could potentially be represented more clearly, visually speaking, with slurs.  Although it's not really necessary, I think it might make the intention easier to read first time.
-The game name could be closer to the title I think.

Static - Cave Story - Scorching Back

-Some of the bass note lead-ins (like bar 2 beat 4.5, bar 4 beat 4.5 etc) sound like two notes to me rather than one.  Is this intentionally simplified?
-The E on beat 3 of bar 33 sounds like it should be an octave higher than the subsequent notes.
-Similarly, the game name could be a little closer to the title as well.

Yug Guy - Super Castlevania IV - Simon Belmont's Theme

-The right hand notes in bars 6-8 aren't entirely correct.  Here's a picture with what I can hear (note that the second two bars are identical to the first):
Spoiler
[close]
-Also in bars 6-8, you could move all the Ds in the left hand chord up to the right hand and that way those chords will be much easier to play.
-Personally I think it'd be best to cut the bass down to a single octave in bars 17-24 (the lower one).  Why?  Well I think that to play those phrases smoothly in octaves is going to be borderline impossible, whereas if it's a single octave it'll be much easier to shape the phrases correctly.  Also, since the right hand is so simple it's not hard for a single note bass line to come across really clearly over it which means that octaves aren't strictly necessary.  Just my thoughts, anyway.
-The D -> F -> D jump at the end of bar 33 is kind of crazy; is there any chance we could move the F an octave down?  I don't think it'd affect the line all that much, but it'd be much easier to play.
-The D in the dyad on beat 4 of bar 32 should be a C.
-Leaving out the top octave of the Bb on beat 4.25 of bars 13 and 50 is kind of strange.  If it's for playability, there are other places in there that are much harder to play in octaves. 
-The D in the the dyad on beat 4 of bar 32 should be a C.
-Like you do in bar 38, you could include a crescendo for the right hand in bar 5.
-The left margin on page 3 is too large (just set it to what you have for the other ones).  Also, everything on page 3 could come down a bit and be spread out more I think.
-Also, I know you included it at the request of others, but I'm not sure that I could stomp my feet that quickly (at least not in audible way).  Still, I guess the performer can choose how they fulfil that percussion queue themselves fairly easily.

Static

Libera - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Land of Morytha
Quote from: Libera on October 25, 2019, 12:52:41 PMAll the accents are hidden, I just put it in for playback purposes as sometimes the upper registers don't come through clearly.
My eyes are broken... The other stuff looks good though, so I will approve now.

Trasdegi - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Portentousness
Before Latios takes a look at those accidentals, I have a couple things:
- m5: The last note in the sextuplet should be E natural like in m1.
- The accidentals in the 2nd half look good to me generally speaking - the intervals are all consistent. I think the Bbs and Abs in the 2nd layer should be A#s and G#s though, since they fit in the chords better.

Static - Kirby Mass Attack - Vast Darkness
Quote from: Libera on October 26, 2019, 01:07:06 PM-I think it's slightly misleading to not include the drum cue at the start, especially due to the way that it interacts with the repeat.
-Some of the tenuto paired with non-tenuto quavers you have in the left could potentially be represented more clearly, visually speaking, with slurs.  Although it's not really necessary, I think it might make the intention easier to read first time.
-The game name could be closer to the title I think.
I have done all the things.

Static - Cave Story - Scorching Back
Quote from: Libera on October 26, 2019, 01:07:06 PM-Some of the bass note lead-ins (like bar 2 beat 4.5, bar 4 beat 4.5 etc) sound like two notes to me rather than one.  Is this intentionally simplified?
-The E on beat 3 of bar 33 sounds like it should be an octave higher than the subsequent notes.
-Similarly, the game name could be a little closer to the title as well.
- yes
- I definitely do not hear this at all. I tried seeing what it sounds like anyway, and it doesn't sound right to me in the sheet. Unless you mean the LH part, but I don't hear it there either. I transcribed the bassline and the background line right above it.
- Done

Files for those two things have been updated.

Libera

Quote from: Static on October 26, 2019, 02:38:06 PM- I definitely do not hear this at all. I tried seeing what it sounds like anyway, and it doesn't sound right to me in the sheet. Unless you mean the LH part, but I don't hear it there either. I transcribed the bassline and the background line right above it.

Yeah I think I was mistaken.  The files check out and both of these sheets are now accepted!

Static - The Witch's House - Rumo(u)r

-I think the B in the third layer in bar 19 should be a C#.

Everything else looks fine to me.