Halloween 2k19 Update

Started by Latios212, October 01, 2019, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on October 28, 2019, 06:07:30 PMTrasdegi - PortentousnessThanks guys for looking it over. Notes look good and accidentals (though a bit strange) look easily readable so this gets an approval from me!
Gets an accept from me as well. Ultimately, readability is the most important in these kinds of atonal pieces.

Quote from: Th3Gavst3r on October 28, 2019, 06:32:29 PMImplemented both of these things. In case of percussion, smash octaves ;)
Great!

Quote from: Latios212 on October 28, 2019, 06:44:02 PMStatic - It's Time for Revenge
- Any particular reason you have an 8vb in the playback but not visible for the sheet?
- I think it's a bit odd to omit the lower layer C in m. 25/26 that sets it apart from m. 21-22, but your call
- m. 28 I'm hearing the bass pickup as F#-C-F# ascending instead. Same with 30 and 32/34 (transposed)
- I suggest flipping the RH octaves in m. 31/33 similar to 27/29 to give the sfz more space
- I suggest flipping notes in the RH of m. 32/34 so that the repeated chord looks the same. I'd recommend flipping the first two groups, but alternatively you can flip the last
- I think it would make sense to invert the chord in m. 38 up once, as the octaves highlight the voice that I feel isn't the melody
- I forgot to add a "LH sempre 8vb" mark. It's there now.
- I think so too, so I added those in.
- Fixed. (also adjusted some of the octaves so it would be less awkward to play)
- Done.
- Done.

Edit: Forgot to fix the sfz thing, that's done now too. Also moved the first layer of m39-45 LH to the RH to avoid any 8vb confusion.

Zeila

I updated Team Skull Admin. Thanks for the corrections!

Latios212

Static - It's Time for Revenge
What are the brackets on the top staff in m. 39 and 45 for? Aside from that, looks good!

Zeila - Battle! (Team Skull Admin)
Quote from: Zeila on October 28, 2019, 08:47:05 PMI updated Team Skull Admin. Thanks for the corrections!
No problem, looks awesome, accepted
My arrangements and YouTube channel!

Quote from: Dudeman on February 22, 2016, 10:16:37 AM
who needs education when you can have WAIFUS!!!!!

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Static - Promise

Looks good, accepted!

Static - Murasaki Forest

This looks good as well, except for the fact that it definitely should be 16th swing.  Just try slowing it down and counting along with triplet semiquavers or something: everything lines up pretty much exactly.  Also the copyright is slightly too low and you could get the extra space by just moving all the systems on the first page a little closer together.

Edit: I decided to get an mp3 to test this out more explicitly in transcribe by equally spacing semiquaver markers across some bars.  The peaks don't quite line up with every second/fourth semiquaver with them always being slightly late i.e. indicating a light swing.  I tried the value 40 in finale and it sounded pretty good to me.

Latios212

Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Halloween 2
Th3Gavst3r - Cave Story - Zombie
Nothing further to add :P accepted

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Latios212 - Cubone's Mother

Looks great!

Latios212 - Dusk Factory

-The first eight bars here clearly imply a Cm tonality (the Ans come from Dorian and #4 isn't exactly uncommon either, especially with it's placement next to 5.)  I don't think keyless is the right way to go, certainly for the first eight bars anyway.
-You could slur the phrases in bars 3,4,7,8 to differentiate them from the staccato phrases prior.

Latios212 - Radio Transmission

The only thing here is that the beaming interacting with the triplets in the left hand is slightly unpleasant.  Either rebeaming or using brackets for the triplets would do the trick I think here.

Jessie & James Appear

Looks great again, accepted!

Latios212

Thanks for checking my remaining sheets! :)

Quote from: Libera on October 29, 2019, 05:41:21 PMLatios212 - Dusk Factory
-The first eight bars here clearly imply a Cm tonality (the Ans come from Dorian and #4 isn't exactly uncommon either, especially with it's placement next to 5.)  I don't think keyless is the right way to go, certainly for the first eight bars anyway.
-You could slur the phrases in bars 3,4,7,8 to differentiate them from the staccato phrases prior.
- Hmm, though the first half definitely has Cm tonality I'm still not super comfortable slapping a key signature on the piece given how it wouldn't make reading it any easier. I suppose I'd be okay with adding the key signature in the first half and putting the second in keyless, though
- Good idea, added!

Quote from: Libera on October 29, 2019, 05:41:21 PMLatios212 - Radio Transmission
The only thing here is that the beaming interacting with the triplets in the left hand is slightly unpleasant.  Either rebeaming or using brackets for the triplets would do the trick I think here.
Yeah I'm not super crazy about it either. I flipped the tuplets below the notes so it's easier to read the rhythm now.

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Libera

Sweet, both of those are now accepted!

Static

Quote from: Latios212 on October 29, 2019, 03:58:49 PMStatic - It's Time for Revenge
What are the brackets on the top staff in m. 39 and 45 for? Aside from that, looks good!
The bracket in m45 is a mistake, but the one in 39 should be there since it's a big jump from m38 in the RH. However, m39-45 RH should be moved down an octave to be where it was before, so I've fixed that now.

Quote from: Libera on October 29, 2019, 04:18:00 PMStatic - Murasaki Forest

This looks good as well, except for the fact that it definitely should be 16th swing.  Just try slowing it down and counting along with triplet semiquavers or something: everything lines up pretty much exactly.  Also the copyright is slightly too low and you could get the extra space by just moving all the systems on the first page a little closer together.

Edit: I decided to get an mp3 to test this out more explicitly in transcribe by equally spacing semiquaver markers across some bars.  The peaks don't quite line up with every second/fourth semiquaver with them always being slightly late i.e. indicating a light swing.  I tried the value 40 in finale and it sounded pretty good to me.
I listed again, and I didn't really hear the swing, but then I listed another time and I kinda felt it. 40 is already a pretty smaller value, but I made it even smaller (25) because the swing isn't that prominent, it's a very light groove. I think it sounds pretty accurate like this. The spacing stuff has been fixed too.

Libera

Quote from: Static on October 29, 2019, 07:38:04 PMI listed again, and I didn't really hear the swing, but then I listed another time and I kinda felt it. 40 is already a pretty smaller value, but I made it even smaller (25) because the swing isn't that prominent, it's a very light groove. I think it sounds pretty accurate like this. The spacing stuff has been fixed too.

Sounds good to me!  Accepted, it shall be.

Libera

Static - It's Time for Revenge

Looks pretty good.  The only comment I have is that I'm not sure about the G#s at the end of bars 28 and 30.  It doesn't sound quite right there to me and I think it might be an An instead, it'd fit with what you have later as well.

Latios212

we in the home stretch now

Zeila - Battle! (Team Skull Boss)
- The tremolos in the rap staff should be on the stems
- Not 100% sure, but I feel like the RH dyads/chords should be inverted downwards once from m. 7-14 and the latter section too. Thoughts?
- I recommend (non-parenthesized) courtesy naturals in the RH of m. 9 and similar

Libera - Seventh Chapter - In the Sky
my ears, but this is good

Spoiler
[close]
turtle

Static

Quote from: Libera on October 30, 2019, 04:00:30 PMStatic - It's Time for Revenge

Looks pretty good.  The only comment I have is that I'm not sure about the G#s at the end of bars 28 and 30.  It doesn't sound quite right there to me and I think it might be an An instead, it'd fit with what you have later as well.
It sounds weird, but that is what plays in the original (I can send you a recording of the isolated channel if you want). I'd prefer to leave it in. Edit: It sounds weirder because I have m32 and 34 wrong; the middle note should be a B natural. I've fixed that now.

Zeila

Quote from: Latios212 on October 30, 2019, 04:35:11 PMwe in the home stretch now

Zeila - Battle! (Team Skull Boss)
- The tremolos in the rap staff should be on the stems
It's a Finale issue for anyone with an older version who is willing to edit it

Quote from: Latios212 on October 30, 2019, 04:35:11 PM- Not 100% sure, but I feel like the RH dyads/chords should be inverted downwards once from m. 7-14 and the latter section too. Thoughts?
I think the C line is higher than the A, but they're being octave doubled too. The A octave is more pronounced to me though so I inverted it (plus I think it sounds better that way, at least just judging by finale playback and a really old keyboard)

Quote from: Latios212 on October 30, 2019, 04:35:11 PM- I recommend (non-parenthesized) courtesy naturals in the RH of m. 9 and similar
I added them to every spot except m13 and m29 since they're on the next system. I don't know what the proper way is, but I remember seeing it being discussed before and I think people mentioned that it isn't necessary

Team Skull Boss - I also changed the beginning dynamic to forte. Thanks once again!

Maelstrom

Quote from: Latios212 on October 20, 2019, 02:25:52 PMMaelstrom - Dracula's Castle
- Looks pretty good. I'd suggest flipping the ties in the first chord down to match the rest of the section.
- Some dynamic changes (i.e. cresc.) in the last system maybe?
Done, updated the file

Quote from: Libera on October 28, 2019, 05:17:05 PM-I'd consider removing the second semiquavers in bars 102-104 that coincide with the C Ab dyad in layer 1.  I just think it'd be a whole lot easier to play that way and wouldn't change the overall rhythmic effect at all.
-Maybe add in another note in the right hand chords at 114-121?  It sounds like there's an extra/doubled voice in the original there and might help give that finish a little bit extra.  Up to you though.
-I'd give the accidentals a little more space on the second chord in bar 38 by moving the gliss slightly to the left.
-All the Dbs on the bottom of the right hand chords in bars 114-121 should be Dns like before, at least I'm pretty sure that they should be.
-For semibreves in bars 17-32 I'm hearing a lot of different notes/harmonies.  Perhaps I'm just listening to the wrong parts but you might want to double check this bit again.
-For the buildup to 66 some of the voicings here are pretty taxing on the right hand.  Particularly, the F A C, F Bb Db but they're all quite out there.  Also the final two bars I'm hearing quite differently.  I came up with some suggested voicings for what I can hear, but you might want to mess around with them to make it fit with the preceding bars.
Spoiler
You cannot view this attachment.
[close]
For m102-014 I was originally going to say no and say "hey, at least it's not the 16th triplets that were there before" but then I realized that yeah, having that hit on the same as the other layer doesn't really change anything.
-m-17-34 - This part is pretty fuzzy so I can't say that my notes are 100% accurate, but I did a double check and changed m24 and m27+28 and added a b2 note in m20 and m30
for m65 I finally had the revelation that those notes are preceding up from the choir, not whatever else is going on.
I fiddled around with m66 a bit. and by a bit I mean a lot. It's easier to play now and incorporates the harmonies it was missing.
-last 8 measures. Yep, that extra note sounds good.
everything else changed verbatim.
files updated