Game: Xenoblade Chronicles
Console: Nintendo Wii
Title: Engage the Enemy
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Maelstrom

[attachment deleted by admin]

Maelstrom

Static

- m1 sounds a lot slower than what's indicated in the sheet.
- m7 RH: Dotted quarter rest should be split.
- m16, 18 LH: These parts should have the same rhythm as m17 (some of the notes are wrong too).
- m19 LH: Sounds like there's some 8th notes here starting on beat 3.5 (A, G, F#).
- m27 LH: Fn should be E#.
- m33 LH: B# sounds like it should be an 8th note, and the G# should be a 16th note.
- m39 LH: Dns should be Cxs.
- m43, 45 LH: Even with big hands, this is quite a stretch to play...
- m48 LH: C#s should be Cxs
- m48-49 RH: You should try to add some of that violin stuff here.
- m51 RH: Any particular reason you omitted the hit here?
- m55, 57 LH: These parts should have the same rhythm as m17 (some of the notes are wrong too).
- m58 LH: Sounds like there's some 8th notes here starting on beat 3.5 (A, G, F#).
- m59 RH: I don't hear that D# on beat 4.75.
- m76 RH: The D# should be the highest note in the chord, there is no E.

Maelstrom

>- m16, 18 LH: These parts should have the same rhythm as m17 (some of the notes are wrong too).
Can you tell me what you think they should be? I agonized over these way more than I should have, even consulting an official live performance to give me some slight clues. I got nothing. Same deal with m55/57

>- m19 LH: Sounds like there's some 8th notes here starting on beat 3.5 (A, G, F#).
I can't seem to hear these ..... Also in m58

added a 4th harmony in m33 (now m34).

everything else has been fixed and the files have been updated.

mastersuperfan

Really good stuff.

Minor things:
- Mega nitpicky but maybe you could move the "con pedale" in m1 a little over to the left. Same goes for the "con pedale" in m34... especially because that one is visibly further right than the "dim." above."
- The sixteenth note on beat 2 of m16 RH would probably be better as a grace note to the A#.
- I would move the "dim." in m34 down slightly so that it's not so close to the rest above.
- On beat 1 of m35/36 RH, I would move the dotted quarters very slightly to the right so that they're a little bit more spaced from the half note.
- The arpeggio line in m41 should be moved a little to the left so it's not clashing with the sharp.
- In m49, the crescendo should extend a little more to the end of the bar.
- In m56, the mp should be moved a little to the right to be further from the barline.
- Ultra nitpicky but bringing this up since particular placement seems to be important here: assuming the "senza pedale" in m64 is meant to take effect at the start of beat 4, I would move it slightly left so that the left edge of the text aligns with the left edge of the notes above.
- The rest in m68 RH is misplaced.
- An ending dynamic would be nice in m77 so that the pianist knows how soft to end. You'd have to spread the staves apart a bit more for this.

And a couple bigger things:
- You have "senza pedale" for the staccatos in m43-46, but those intervals are also not playable for the LH without pedal. You'll have to compromise somehow else here.
- I seem to be getting something totally different from both of you for m17-20 LH... I'm not even hearing any sixteenth notes in m19 or m20:

m17-20
[close]

EDIT: I missed some notes in m20. Here's what I'm getting for m20 (m17-19 above are still the same for me):

m20
[close]

EDIT AGAIN: Also:

Quote from: Static on February 02, 2020, 03:42:01 PM- m59 RH: I don't hear that D# on beat 4.75.

I am actually still hearing the D# there. It's soft, but it's there.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Maelstrom

I don't actually hear that D# now and don't think it should be in.
I made all of your changes except for a note in m17 and 18 each. B1 was left as an E in m17, and m17 b1.25 is a C# now.

files updated.

Static

Listening again more closely, I hear what you currently have in m17-19.

Quote from: Static on February 02, 2020, 03:42:01 PM- m19 LH: Sounds like there's some 8th notes here starting on beat 3.5 (A, G, F#).
Ah, sorry, I meant m20. I actually now hear a G# on beat 3.5 and then a quarter note A# on beat 4. I don't hear it in m59, only in m20.
Another thing, m56 should look like m17.

Maelstrom

Once again, I found even more notes than suggested. Added 3 notes to m21 and m22 each
oops you meant m20. I heard different notes with the same rhythm - B and C#. Also added a 4th harmony to the RH because there's a piano note there that's kinda pronounced

Static

Hm... yeah I can hear all those notes now that you pointed them out. Well, that's about all I have for this sheet, so I'll approve.

mastersuperfan

Quote from: mastersuperfan on March 29, 2020, 11:56:57 PM- You have "senza pedale" for the staccatos in m43-46, but those intervals are also not playable for the LH without pedal. You'll have to compromise somehow else here.

This still.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Static

The sostenuto pedal (instead of sustain) would be great for that section, since it can let you hold down the 2nd layer notes while keeping everything else separated.

Maelstrom

Quote from: Static on May 18, 2020, 12:05:30 PMThe sostenuto pedal (instead of sustain) would be great for that section, since it can let you hold down the 2nd layer notes while keeping everything else separated.
actually, this. Changed and updated.

mastersuperfan

- The "piano" in the first and last measures are slightly left of center
- The con pedale in m34 could be raised to be closer to the bottom staff
- Just to clarify, at what point in m64 is the senza pedale supposed to start?
- You might want to update the pedal marking at m47 (i.e. senza pedale if you don't want any pedal at all, since they probably shouldn't be using sostenuto pedal there), but the page is tight on vertical space, so it's not a big deal
- In m19/58, the third note in the LH (A#) should start on beat 2.75, not beat 2.5
- For m20/59, I'm hearing a dotted quarter A# on beat 3.25 for the piano. The B and C# in m20 are there, but they're part of the strings as far as I can tell.
- The D# on beat 4.75 of m60 is absolutely there, I'm completely sure of it. Maybe another person can take a listen and chime it, but it's clear as day to me
- That's a big jump to do so quickly at the end of the scale in m64. I think it would be worth cutting the scale two notes short (i.e. end right on beat 4) to give the player time to make that leap.

I think that should be it.

Maelstrom

Quote from: mastersuperfan on May 19, 2020, 08:21:10 PM- For m20/59, I'm hearing a dotted quarter A# on beat 3.25 for the piano. The B and C# in m20 are there, but they're part of the strings as far as I can tell.
Cannot hear that in m20 at all.
Couldn't call m60 as clear as day, but I added it in because it's there
Fixed everything else and updated the sheets.

mastersuperfan