Series: Sonic
Game: Sonic & Knuckles
Console: Sega Genesis
Title: Sandopolis Zone Act 1
Instrumentation Solo Piano
Arranger: Yug Guy

Replacement Information:

Links to Existing Sheet: MUS | MIDI | PDF
Replacement Type: Challenge (new arranger)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Yug_Guy

Maelstrom

Looks pretty great. A few quick things - You have "play an octave lower" but it doesn't indicate which hand. I know it might be implied, but I thought twice because I had never heard the song before. I'd recommend just putting a LH in there.

Maybe a double barline at m5 where the S is? It would make it easier to find quickly when jumping back.

Fix the floating rests on page 2. There's no reason for them to be above the staff in places like m21.

Notes all look good.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Maelstrom on January 03, 2020, 09:08:22 AM-Looks pretty great. A few quick things - You have "play an octave lower" but it doesn't indicate which hand. I know it might be implied, but I thought twice because I had never heard the song before. I'd recommend just putting a LH in there.
-Maybe a double barline at m5 where the S is? It would make it easier to find quickly when jumping back.
-Fix the floating rests on page 2. There's no reason for them to be above the staff in places like m21.
All done. You'll have to excuse the minor mistakes - I originally made these a long time ago, and I clearly didn't catch everything when polishing it up for submission.

Maelstrom

mastersuperfan

- If you slow down m3, beat 1 RH actually looks like this:

But, this doesn't carry over well to the piano (and is really hard to discern in the original), so I would instead recommend adding an A to both eighth-note dyads.
- For m3 and m4, I would separate the lower notes into their own Layer 2, since those notes are staccato but the melody (except for m3 beat 1) itself isn't.
- The lower E eighth notes on m3 beat 4/m4 beat 1 should be shifted back a half beat, such that the first E starts on m3 beat 4.5 and the next two are both in m4.
- In m21/25 RH, I would put staccatos on the eighth notes on beats 1+3 since they sound just as short to me as the other eighth notes you've designated as staccato in that section.

EDIT: Oh, also, like with your other sheet, the expression is affecting both hands in playback, not just the left hand. I would either use a hidden 8va, separate the staves in ScoreManager, create a custom clef for the LH that lowers playback by one octave, or create a hidden staff for the left hand.
Quote from: NocturneOfShadow on February 11, 2016, 03:00:36 PMthere's also a huge difference in quality between 2000 songs and 2010 songs
Quote from: Latios212 on February 11, 2016, 03:29:24 PMThe difference between 2000 songs and 2010 songs is 10 songs.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 17, 2020, 05:14:00 PMOh, also, like with your other sheet, the expression is affecting both hands in playback, not just the left hand. I would either use a hidden 8va, separate the staves in ScoreManager, create a custom clef for the LH that lowers playback by one octave, or create a hidden staff for the left hand.
Quote from: Yug_Guy on January 19, 2020, 09:52:10 AMThe expression is just a duplicate of the 8va assignment. The treble & bass clefs are set to separate channels, so it should only be affecting the bass clef. It's working fine on my Finale, can anyone else confirm if they're having the same problem as msf?

Quote from: mastersuperfan on January 17, 2020, 05:14:00 PM- If you slow down m3, beat 1 RH actually looks like this:

But, this doesn't carry over well to the piano (and is really hard to discern in the original), so I would instead recommend adding an A to both eighth-note dyads.
I think you're hearing the second "echo" channel that's used for the melody. Notice that beats 1.2 & 1.4 in your picture correspond with beats 4.5 of m2 & beat 1 of m3 respectively. However, beat 1.5 of m3 is indeed an A. 

(Other comments have been addressed)

Static

Cool sheet you got here... Or a hot one I guess

• m3 RH: There is a loose staccato mark on beat 4 layer 2, it blends in with the 8th rest there. For some reason if you replace a note with a rest without first deleting the note, articulations stay on the page. Just another one of those weird Finale things.
  • m15-16 RH: The lower notes would probably be better written in a 2nd layer.

That's all I got for this one.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on January 19, 2020, 02:34:54 PMm3 RH: There is a loose staccato mark on beat 4 layer 2, it blends in with the 8th rest there. For some reason if you replace a note with a rest without first deleting the note, articulations stay on the page. Just another one of those weird Finale things.

Fixed.

Static

Looks good, but the top layer of m15-16 all sounds like a consistent (and relatively non-staccato) articulation to me.

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on January 20, 2020, 06:30:16 PMLooks good, but the top layer of m15-16 all sounds like a consistent (and relatively non-staccato) articulation to me.
I guess it sounds kind of 'detached'? Not sure what kind of articulation you could use for that.

Static

I guess staccato would work, it's just not as staccato as some other parts. Those staccatos should just be on all those 8th notes in 15-16, not just the ones that line up with the 2nd layer

Yug_Guy

Quote from: Static on January 20, 2020, 06:55:58 PMThose staccatos should just be on all those 8th notes in 15-16, not just the ones that line up with the 2nd layer
My bad, those staccatos were left over from when the two layers were the same. Should be good now

Zeta